Remington 7600 pump

O.K, here's my situation.

This year is going to be our first "proper" full hunting season together.
We being Penny, my 3 y.o Drattharr and I.

We hunt heavily forested mountain terrain targeting Sambar deer (similar to Caribou in size) generally in very thick, wet conditions.
Sambar can take a good hit from smaller calibers and carry them for some distance before expiring and in the thick can be hard to find if they travel too far.

Although I have several bolt rifles in adequate calibers that have proven effective when stalking on my own I have decided to try a 7600 pump in .35 Whelan whilst hunting with Penny.

Feedback from current owners is encouraged.
I'm looking for something that can take some rough and tumble without needing to be "nursed".
The slim profile and light weight of the 7600 carbine will be much appreciated.

My quandry is that I really want the .35 Whelan chambering but it is only issued in the carbine version with a 18.5" barrel which I am concerned about the muzzle blast produced potentially near the dog.
A 22" barrel would be much better in cutting down blast.

Would you get a brand new carbine and re-barrel or buy a 30/06 chambered 7600 and re-barrel.
Does it make any difference when the magazines are generic ?

Thanks in advance.

PaulT
I just checked the sight-in of mine today 30 ought 6 carbine... Although I have many beautiful bolt rifles admittedly it has taken as much or more game as all the rest combined. I would not worry about too much muzzle blast in any caliber based on the '06 cartridge. It is perfectly at home slaying deer with 165 grain bullets out to 300 yards with a 5-power scope or the largest black bear in the world using 200 grain nosler partitions generally at ranges less than 150 yards. The beauty of the gun is that it reloads instantaneously upon firing and you never take your eye off the scope and thus it is quite able to take game on the move. Many consider it the ideal PA hunting gun and I do not disagree. Get the $10 trigger upgrade kit and it will shoot 1-in groups all day long. After seeing what it has done my son and many friends now want one... I have often thought about taking it along to Africa as it is actually the perfect plains game rifle as antelope rarely stand still for too long and again this is ideal for shooting (game) on the move... The leupold 1 to 5 power red Dot scope is its best friend. I've often thought about re-barelling it to 338- 06 but I've yet to do it.
 
paul, sprinter arms used to rebore 308 win m88 levers and m100 semi autos to 358 win.
could they do the same to a 30/06 up the 358 whelen.
the headspace would remain the same, as you would still be using the 30/06 chamber.
incidentally, I remember nick Harvey writing that a 30/06 with heavy bullets was very little behind a whelen.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I wonder if Nick has actually used a properly loaded Whelen in the bush.
Yes he is very knowledgeable on a he'll of a lot of things but at times has me scratching my head with his answers.
Bob
 
who knows bob.
he did a hell of a lot of stuff.
much more than most guys, and he was a lot more honest than many gun writers.
he was the first person to report a failure with nosler partitions, on a giraffe, that i remember, and i did not believe it at the time.
he had to finish it with a rws cone point.
but then it was a different time.
bruce.
 
who knows bob.
he did a hell of a lot of stuff.
much more than most guys, and he was a lot more honest than many gun writers.
he was the first person to report a failure with nosler partitions, on a giraffe, that i remember, and i did not believe it at the time.
he had to finish it with a rws cone point.
but then it was a different time.
bruce.
@bruce moulds
I agree 100% mate but now some pig the things he writes he is a bit hamstrung as the publishers don't want to upset the advertisers of the mag. This was true a while back when I rang him for a yarn about a scope he tested. He couldn't say scope A that was mid price tracked better than the more expensive scope B. All he could say is it didn't clarity of scope B but was excellent value for money.
That's life n pow your just not supposed to piss people off publicly.
Bob
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,350
Messages
1,573,762
Members
169,847
Latest member
good88credit
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top