Reloder 15.5

1peggy

AH senior member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Spain, Germany, Zimbabwe, Zambia
Does anyone have experience loading RL 15.5 in 470 Nitro or 375 H&H? Just wondering if it reduces recoil like RL 15 in the 470 and if it is more temperature stable. Thanks

I do. I started with IMR3031 before moving to RL 15.5. The recoil was very similar to me. Now RL 15.5 is the only powder I use in my 470 NE. Real or not which many debate, I decided to make the switch due to 15.5 to be much better for high temperatures. For comparison try using a powder like 4831 SC. You will learn a major key in felt recoil has more to do with amount of powder needed for a desired FPS. For my 470 it shoots the best at 2050 FPS. Using RL 15.5 that is about 82 grains. To get the same FPS that requires 112 grains of 4831. The recoil with the 112 grains was night and day higher than either the IMR3031 or RL 15.5

Absolutely. i use #2’s from Trader Keith. i want exactness in everything i do when it comes to reloading. you will find many which is fine cut their own fillers…just not me. yes they are more expensive but when i am hunting buffalo i want as perfect as possible. you can look them up on their web site

I concur that a big load of 4831 in the 470 gets your attention, haven't tried the RL 15 yet, I should as I am getting older lol.

Here is a fun site to play with fill in the blanks and see the difference in recoil as the volume of powder goes up...
When I was working up loads for my 505 Gibbs I used this recoil calculator 107grs of RL 15 vs 150grs of MRP is close to 30ft lbs difference

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
The Puckett's

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you