Reloading theory question: .458 Lott

I am searching for a ball powder to use in my .458 Lott pushing 500 grain bullets for practice. H335 and varget are on either side of it on the burn chart so why can't I use CFE223? What part of the bus am I missing here? There is no data on the .458 and CFE 223 it stops at .375 H&H and 200/235 grain bullets. I am interested in your insight.
@Forrest Halley
I will check for you and let you know. CFE223 sits between Varget Nd H4350 so may not be appropriate as most ball powders like up around 100% density.
Bob
I think you're right. It's literally two notches under the 748. I just could not find it for a decent price. How much do you think it erases copper fouling?
@Forrest Halley.
I haven't cleaned my Whelen bore since Namibia and it as till shows no sign of copper fouling. I run a nylon brush thru it after each shoot and patch it out with inox the preserve the bore. My son's 308 gets the same treatment as my 35 and it hasn't been done since Namibia either and that's bout 300rounds ago.
Bob

@Forrest Halley
I will check for you and let you know. CFE223 sits between Varget Nd H4350 so may not be appropriate as most ball powders like up around 100% density.
Bob
@Forrest Halley.
I haven't cleaned my Whelen bore since Namibia and it as till shows no sign of copper fouling. I run a nylon brush thru it after each shoot and patch it out with inox the preserve the bore. My son's 308 gets the same treatment as my 35 and it hasn't been done since Namibia either and that's bout 300rounds ago.
Bob
Hi Bob,
It's been almost two years since I posted this. I'm using W748 for practice and H4895 for a dedicated hunting load. That's actually a lie because the only thing I ever killed with the Lott was with a practice load. I'm. Not shooting the Lott enough to care about cooper fouling. The Nosler brass solids sure shine the bore up like a champion though. Shoot a few of them and it's a golden bore.

Never tried mono bullets such as tsx because of length. Swift A frames and TB Sledgehammers are my go to bullet with Tac.

I'm going to try some Tac in my 450 G&A Short under a 500 TSX and a 500 A-Frame this weekend. I'll let ya know how it shoots.

Well i got to the range Sunday with my 450 G&A. Tests were done at 50yrds. 74gr of Tac under a 500 A-Frame was one hole @2050fps. 75gr they were touching and 2125fps. I also tried some RL15. 83gr under a 500 TSX got 2130fps and they were touching as well. Same load of RL15 under a 500 A-Frame produced one hole @ 2200fps. I was pleased. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross