Reloading the 7.5x55

that is interesting about the relative case capacities.
308 is ok at 1000 yds with 155, 175, 190, and even heavier sierra matchkings.
the 190 and heavier are shot out to 1200 yds i commonwealth countries in the event called match rifle.
for some reason the 168 does not cope with going into the transonic zone.
bruce.

I recalled reading an article about military 7.62 sniper ammo.
When the tooling used to make the Lake City 173 FMJ BT match bullet had worn out, they tried the 168 Sierra. They were not satisfied for the reasons Bruce listed. Apparently Sierra designed the 175 SMK and Army adopted that as the new sniper ammo.

Good members, I received a Swiss K31 7.5X55 cal rifle from a friend today. Now I need to buy ammo and a re-loading die set. Please assist..it seems the ammo /brass is not that available in South Africa. I noticed the rifle scope inserts, is this a common feature on these rifles?? It seems it is tapped and drilled already in the manufacturing process?? The one I got as a gift today has a dark Wallnut stock...is it an older version than this rifle in the photo I took today??

7a6df23f-7fd7-43d9-a2d6-7455f9992fda.jpg
64d5fa01-c631-436e-b39d-594078d10615.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, they are not drilled from the factory. All manner of mounts have been developed for them, but yours is the first I have ever seen drilled on top.
Dont quite understand your question about the stock.. the one pictured might be walnut, very light colored if it is, you mention a dark walnut stocked one?

Too bad on the ammo etc. PPU makes brass so you might find some of that, good stuff, bullets are .308 diameter. GP11 might be hard to find there, I dont know.

Is there a P prefix anywhere on the serial number? Looks like it could be a 1963 from the serial number database?

They were not tapped like that from factory.

Beautiful rifle!

If the 7.5x55 brass is hard to obtain apparently you can form it from 284 Winchester brass, if you have the dies and good sizing lube.

Last edited:
I reloaded some GP stuff, I have one of those goofy cartridge specific water pressure decapper tools. Then just size and reprime as normal, if you have some Berdan primers.
But since the GP shoots so well and I have lots of it, I dont bother anymore.

As far as I know PPU is the only brass available for the 7.5 in the US. I have bought cartridges from PPU and some company who loaded PPU with 165 hornandy interlock bullets.
Some people reload the GP11 which is berdan primed.
Mine shoots very well.

I have used the 165 interlock with great success for deer, in the Swiss and 30/06.

Norma makes loaded ammunition for the Swiss, not sure on component availability though.

For target shooting I agree with @sestoppelman that gp 11 shoots so well it is difficult to improve on.

No, they are not drilled from the factory. All manner of mounts have been developed for them, but yours is the first I have ever seen drilled on top.
Dont quite understand your question about the stock.. the one pictured might be walnut, very light colored if it is, you mention a dark walnut stocked one?

Too bad on the ammo etc. PPU makes brass so you might find some of that, good stuff, bullets are .308 diameter. GP11 might be hard to find there, I dont know.
Ses, I did some reading about these rifles, somewhere it reads that according to the dark wall nut stocks it is an older model, they used the lighter beech or oak(not sure) for the newer models. The one in the photo is a extremely well preserved rifle , the one I got has a dark stock and seems to be used frequently. I will take some photos about the one I received .
It seems there are re-loading dies on-line available here in SA. My good friend /member HWL is sourcing some brass for me as well. I am starting to get a nice caliber collection together ...I have a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser , (need to add the 7mm x57 Mauser) 7.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser , 8x57mm Mauser, ( need a 8.5mm still) , 9mm pistol, 9.5mm ( .375 H&H Magnum) 10.75 x 70mm ...and a 11.6mm (.458 Mannlicher Schoenauer

I am working on getting a 7x57Mauser..will replace the barrel of a 8x57JS Spandau Mauser I bought recently for R3000..it is a steal not a buy.. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: (y) There are old 9x57 Mausers in the Gunsmith shop , will ask Johan to be so kind as to donate me one of them 9x57 Mausers...to complete my range of mm calibers :ROFLMAO:

Spundo 8mm 1.jpg
Spundo 8mm 2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a P prefix anywhere on the serial number? Looks like it could be a 1963 from the serial number database?

They were not tapped like that from factory.

Beautiful rifle!

If the 7.5x55 brass is hard to obtain apparently you can form it from 284 Winchester brass, if you have the dies and good sizing lube.
Thank you for this information..it is much appreciated..yes the .284 Win brass is readily available here in SA..some of my friends are shooting this caliber on Bisley shoots and field shoots..they will have brass available..

The rifles with the dark Wall nut stocks what is the year they were manufactured? And the year of the manufacturing of the light rifle stocks ?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.54.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.54.42 AM.png
    3.3 MB · Views: 111
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.54.47 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.54.47 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 126
  • Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.54.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-17 at 7.54.51 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 110
Last edited:
Thank you kindly for this great historical information about this rifle. I always loves a good story or history about a great type of rifle or fire-arm for sure. It makes a rifle so much more interesting..This is much appreciated Sir. (y) (y) (y)

I am about to begin reloading for the 7.5 Swiss. The dies are on the way. I plan on using the 168 Sierra match king. I was looking at load data and noticed that H4895, H4831, and several in between, are used for that bullet.
I am guessing that the 4350/ H414 burn rate would be best.
What are your thoughts?
@wyatt Smith
Hogdon 4895 in Australia is 2206H a medium burn powder a lot faster than H4350 .
A max load of 48 grains H4350 will give you 2,565 fps
Where as 42 grains of H4895.
will give you2,750 fps
The other powders are to slow with H4831 just touching 2,500fps.
Bob

@wyatt Smith
Hogdon 4895 in Australia is 2206H a medium burn powder a lot faster than H4350 .
A max load of 48 grains H4350 will give you 2,565 fps
Where as 42 grains of H4895.
will give you2,750 fps
The other powders are to slow with H4831 just touching 2,500fps.
Bob
I tried a load of H414, I can’t remember how much but it is written down, and it shot very close to the sights. Also pretty accurate. For what I use this rifle for, that is good enough.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Charlessdiuse

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg