Reloading solids v. Softpoints

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
I am about to start developing a load for my .404J using 400 gr. Barnes Banded Solids. I would like to get a POI close to the load I developed using 400 gr. Swift AFs (76 grns N-150@2300 fps). I have 50 solids and would like to conserve them as possible, so I am needing a starting point to begin development. Questions...

Should I first try the same case/primer/powder/charge as the SAF loads? Ladder? Starting where?

Should the solid be faster/slower/same speed as the SAFs? I notice that Barnes manual has solid loads at higher speeds and different powders listed for solids v. the TSX.

I really don't want to shoot a lot of expensive, hard-to-get bullets and be left with too few for my hunt.

Any help/advise appreciated.

Mike

Assuming you're looking for regulation at 100 yards or less... a decent place to start would be to aspire to similar or equal muzzle velocities. I'd load up 3 Barnes and shoot them and see if they printed anywhere near your current zero - also record the velocities so you can tweak the load to compensate if the POI's are close.

Because of its design, the Barnes runs at lower pressure than the A-Frame for the same powder charge. Which means more powder for the same velocity, all else being equal.

You could use a internal ballistic programme to give you some starting points on a load. If I play around with the limited data you've provided, I'm guessing your A-Frame/N150 load uses around 71.5gr of powder. For 2300 f/s with the Barnes, you'd need around 75-75.5gr, presuming your rifle/cartridge/OAL dimensions are the same as the default ones in the software.

Keep in mind that very different bullet shapes such as the two you've got, can lead to different POI's that velocity tweaking just can't fix. Especially if the different POIs are not in the same vertical plane.
If that proves to be the case, just stick with the A-Frames if you're hunting anything less than ele.

I am about to start developing a load for my .404J using 400 gr. Barnes Banded Solids. I would like to get a POI close to the load I developed using 400 gr. Swift AFs (76 grns N-150@2300 fps). I have 50 solids and would like to conserve them as possible, so I am needing a starting point to begin development. Questions...

Should I first try the same case/primer/powder/charge as the SAF loads? Ladder? Starting where?

Should the solid be faster/slower/same speed as the SAFs? I notice that Barnes manual has solid loads at higher speeds and different powders listed for solids v. the TSX.

I really don't want to shoot a lot of expensive, hard-to-get bullets and be left with too few for my hunt.

Any help/advise appreciated.

Mike
I have 90 or so of .423 Barnes Banded Solids I’ll send you. I only shoot North Fork.

I have quite successfully used Hornaday 300gr softs & solids in a .375 H&H mag. using the same powder charge. They also impacted in the same group at 100yds. I developed the load with 300gr Hornaday RN, then worked up to that from below with 300 Hornaday solids.

Same velocity and same BC will get you the same POI regardless of the caliber. So, I'd look at the BCs of both bullets and adjust the velocity accordingly.

Success!

With some assistance from Desperatezulu, I tried a load he suggested. I used 75.5 grans of N-150 and got the result I needed with the first three-round loading. The Barnes Banded Solids (flat meplat) grouped dead on at 100 yards within about 1-1/2" (minute of buffalo!). Velocity averaged 2337 with only about 25 fps variance. This is about as well as I can shoot off my bench with a low power scope.

Thanks to Andrew for helping me out with this.

FYI

This worked in my rifle... Not sure about yours, tho'.

Bullet
Bullet Wt.
Powder
Charge wt
COAL
Min Vel
Max Vel
Ave Vel
Barnes BS
400​
VV N-15071.0
3.51”​
219622132205Accurate
Barnes BS
400​
VV N-15072.0
3.51”​
Barnes BS
400​
VV N-15074.5
3.51”​
??2300?Next Test
Barnes BS
400​
VV N-15075.5
3.51”​
232423492337Accurate
Wood FMJ
400​
VV N-15072
3.527”​

In both the .375 and .458 Lott using Barnes TSX and Banded Solids, to get the same POI, I reduced the powder charge by 3gr for the solids. Probably just a coincidence it worked out that way for both rounds, but hopefully it will give you a starting point.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.