Reloading for a 9.3x62?

I wish Norma would sell their 230gr Eco-strike bullet as reloading component. Measured 780m/s from 520mm barrel, should be able to push it about 50m/s or 150fps faster loading myself. Great cartridge for moose and bear out to 300m as it is though. Point blank range with 4" window is bit over 200m which is enough for 99% of situations.

Reloading for the 9,3x62 is quite straightforward but tickling the maximum performance out of it requires playing around with slow high energy powders, compressed charges and longer than standard case length, My recent attempt was 250gr E-tip, 66gr of RS 60, 86.0mm OAL, went out 778m/s(2559fps). So bit of a disappointment. Also I learned the E-tip barely expands below 2000fps so I decided to abandon the project and hunt the following season with factory Eco-strike.

I wish Norma would sell their 230gr Eco-strike bullet as reloading component. Measured 780m/s from 520mm barrel, should be able to push it about 50m/s or 150fps faster loading myself. Great cartridge for moose and bear out to 300m as it is though. Point blank range with 4" window is bit over 200m which is enough for 99% of situations.

Reloading for the 9,3x62 is quite straightforward but tickling the maximum performance out of it requires playing around with slow high energy powders, compressed charges and longer than standard case length, My recent attempt was 250gr E-tip, 66gr of RS 60, 86.0mm OAL, went out 778m/s(2559fps). So bit of a disappointment. Also I learned the E-tip barely expands below 2000fps so I decided to abandon the project and hunt the following season with factory Eco-strike.
2500-2559fps is a good speed for a 250gr bullet. Try the Lapua Naturalis, I think they are designed to open at a slower speed.

I also wish the ecostrike was available to reload. The factory says 2641 fps for speed, and my sauer with 22" barrel clocked 2623 fps. And that load shoots phenomenal in my rifle

Hi samu,

I have used, on big Red Deer and Fallow Deer, the Slovenian 220 grs FOX monolitic gilding metal bullet. Great bullet, very, very accurate and deadly on game. I load them in my BRNO ZKK at 87 mm OAL, around 3.4 ".
The magazine box permit this and even more. The 9,3x62 C.I.P. chamber with veeery long free bore, allows a longer OAL or, does not limit it. But at 87 mm the case has a full grip on the bullet. I prefer this because the rather short 9,3x62 neck.
With NORMA cases and 65 grs of R15 I get 2800 f/s without ANY trouble and long cases life. In the RWS cases I have, heavier, 64 grs do the same.
The pictures show the FOX 220 grs and the Hornady GMX and Barnes TTSX 250 grs, how is the loaded cartridge with the FOX and an expanded one, the only I could recover inside a Red Deer, small size selective hunt one, after broke the humerus...

Best!

CF

FOX 220 - Hornady GM y TTSX 250.jpg
OAL.jpg
OAL y almacen 1.jpg
OAL y almacen 2.jpg
FOX expandida 1.jpg
FOX expandida 3.jpg
1.jpg
DSC06203.JPG
DSC06207.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
@Clodo Ferreira

What a cool bullet and load for the 9.3!
I wish we had something similar available over here. Do you happen to know the ballistic coefficient?

That's a cool looking "Tracker/Skinner" you have there, too.

I have been shooting 250 Accubonds on top of 55.5 grains of IMR 4064, a CCI 200 primer and Norma brass. The rifle is a Zastava 98. It likes the load....moose, however, are not very fond of it. Decent accuracy, right at MOA.

If you are a hunter you will love the 9.3 It is not fussy about bullets or powder. Most any load will shoot accurately. Not the best gun for 600 yard sniping but don’t sell it short out to 300 yards it is minute of deer no problem. Performance on game is amazing. Not much blood shot meat loss either. It has become one of my favorites for hogs and bear. Buy one you won’t be sorry. But you may never hunt with a 338 magnum again.

I have two. I acquired them last year so I don’t have the experience with the caliber many on here have. I find it easy to load for and a pleasure to shoot. I bought a No 1 that shoots lights out. However, I subsequently purchased a Rigby Highland Stalker in 9.3x62 so the No 1 sits in the safe. If anyone is interested in the No 1, I would part with it at a very reasonable price.
Still available?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois