AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
South Africa, USA, Canada
Looking for recommendations on what AH users like best the .308 Win. Just bought a new rifle with a 21” barrel and a 1 in 10” twist. Will use for primarily for deer. Shots up to 300 yards, but mostly much shorter.

Any info on powder type/grains, bullet/weight and primer appreciated. Also, if you info on where any of these components may be available let me know. thx!

I use Barnes 168gr TTSX and IMR 4064 in all of my 308’s and get stellar results (all well below MOA accuracy at normal 308 speeds)...

165gr ttsx is for slower that 1:10 twist rates... 168gr ttsx is for 1:10 or faster...

Have dropped more hogs and deer than I can count with that combo... as well as an elk, 2 gemsbuck, a zebra, waterbuck, sable,kudu, and a host of other critters... it gets the job done with authority....

I use 165gr Sierra TGK with RS52 powder, not sure you can get it in the USA. With a mild charge I get approximately 2700fps.

I'm using 46 gr. of IMR4895 with a Hornady 150 gr. SST for deer and pronghorns. With my 20" barrel it's running just over 2700 fps. I just got my 308 a year ago and only got to use it on one trip to WY so far, but both the deer and antelope I shot last fall only required one shot each and they both trotted a few yards and flopped.

much as I like bonded and monometal bullets, I think they don't add a lot to what you can already do with a 308 firing cup and core bullets.

I use Varget*** with Speer Grand Slam 180g, getting around 2550 or 2575 at the muzzle. I could push harder, but i can literally put 5 bullets in a single, ragged hole from 100 yards, have done so with 2 different rifles. I didn't see a point in trying to drive the bullets any harder... another 50-75 fps at the muzzle just doesn't confer any practical advantage.

***I haven't seen Varget available at any of the online shops since probably November of 2019, well before all the 'rona panic buying

After 40 years of using the .308 as my primary hunting cartridge, I settled on 165-168 grain bullets for everything. Best balance of speed, accuracy, trajectory and penetration for the type of hunting I do. Plains and bush, Deer to Moose, ranges from close to 300 yards. At 2650 - 2700 FPS many bullets work well. If I had to pick one brand I'd probably choose the Nosler Partition or Accubond. I could be persuaded to try a Barnes TTSX in 150 gr. at 2800 fps, it seems to have a lot of merit but I have no experience. I like Varget best for powder, but have had satisfactory results with IMR 4064, RL15, W748, and a few other medium burn rate powders. The .308 is not fussy.

A Rem 700 308 was my 14th Birthday present. For nearly 60 years the standard load in it for hunts all over the lower 48 and Alaska has been a 180 grain Nosler Partition. For handloading I have found that the mid-range powders (W748, H335, BlC2) have given the best combination of velocity, accuracy and less muzzle blast than the slower powders. this is partly due to the 20 inch barrel.

A Rem 700 308 was my 14th Birthday present. For nearly 60 years the standard load in it for hunts all over the lower 48 and Alaska has been a 180 grain Nosler Partition. For handloading I have found that the mid-range powders (W748, H335, BlC2) have given the best combination of velocity, accuracy and less muzzle blast than the slower powders. this is partly due to the 20 inch barrel.

Sounds like you may have taken a few animals with load

Looking for recommendations on what AH users like best the .308 Win. Just bought a new rifle with a 21” barrel and a 1 in 10” twist. Will use for primarily for deer. Shots up to 300 yards, but mostly much shorter.

Any info on powder type/grains, bullet/weight and primer appreciated. Also, if you info on where any of these components may be available let me know. thx!
@ Lee M
I would recommend a 150grain accubonds loaded with the 50 grains of cfe223. This load gives 2,900 fps out of my son's 22 inch barrel Howa.
The usual advice this load proved safe in my son's rifle but work up from 5% below .
Bob

I settled on 165-168 grain bullets for everything. Best balance of speed, accuracy, trajectory and penetration for the type of hunting I do. .

Yep!

I keep it simple with 308... 168gr TTSX for everything...

@ Lee M
I would recommend a 150grain accubonds loaded with the 50 grains of cfe223. This load gives 2,900 fps out of my son's 22 inch barrel Howa.
The usual advice this load proved safe in my son's rifle but work up from 5% below .
Bob
I had best accuracy using 150s and 155s in a 308 with 10" twist. My 308 seemed to like Varget (AR2208).

I’ve had the best luck with the Nosler accubond 165 and the Barnes 165 ttsx using W748 and WLRM primers. I have a Win mod 70 featherweight 12” twist. For some odd reason it doesn’t like any of the 150 gr loads I’ve tried with various powders.

Bob, Is yours a 10” twist barrel? I would think the 150’s would perform better in in my 12” twist barrel then the longer heavier 165 gr. bullets. However it’s just not the case with several different powders. I haven’t tried the CFE223 though?

Bob, Is yours a 10” twist barrel? I would think the 150’s would perform better in in my 12” twist barrel then the longer heavier 165 gr. bullets. However it’s just not the case with several different powders. I haven’t tried the CFE223 though?

Just to add, I love CFE223 for 308. 175gr SMK over about 47 grains is magic for me.

@rock 375
It's a 1 in 10 twist. Loves the accubonds but for some unknown reason no matter what I load behind the 168 gn sierra match kings I get a better group a 100 yards with my shot gun loaded with 000 buckshot. Can't seem to get less than 4 to 6 inches with those match kings.
Bob

Thanks Yancy, do you happen to know your barrels twist rate? I might have to give the CFE 223 a shot if I can find any?
I’ll bet my barrel wouldn’t stabilize those 175’s. But then again who knows?

Thanks Yancy, do you happen to know your barrels twist rate? I might have to give the CFE 223 a shot if I can find any?

I would bet your 12" will be fine.

by Miller Twist rule, your 12 will stabilize a 175

@Rock375 - also on the CFE223, I'm getting pretty close to 2900 fps with 168 Gold Dots and SMKs. Win748 gives me about the same velocity as CFE223.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg