Reloading data for the 8 x 68

CharlO

New member
Joined
Mar 26, 2017
Messages
4
Reaction score
4
Location
Pretoria
Member of
SA Hunters Association , BASA - Big Bore Association of South Africa, SABU - South African Bisley Union
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Botswana, Zambia, Lesotho
Hi guys
Anyone have info on reloading the 8 x 68 S with Vihtavuori powers
 
Sorry I only have data for IMR, Win & Hodgdon. Vihtavuori is a bit out of my league cost wise.
Great calibre btw.
 
I found this on the net - I have no personal experience with this cartridge. hope it helps!


Vihtavuori Oy Reloading Guide 5th Ed.for the 8x68S.

Bullet powder / wt. vel. psi
187gr. SP RWS N160 77.9gr. 3070fps 55,114

196gr. SP RWS N160 77.2gr. 3030fps 55,114

200gr. SP Speer N160 72.2gr. 2890fps 55,114
 
Thanks guys.

Yes it's a great Caliber Does anything the big 300's do and some. Only problem - it's a rare breed.
 
I load for both it and the 8mm rem mag ...I do not recommend this but back off the 8mm rem loads by 10 percent and work up slowly

8mm drops where 300''s run ...have culled a couple of hundred plains game with the 8mm rem mag ....soon to be replaced with a 8x68......
 
Opinion taken but with 200 gr Nosler Accubond in 8x68 and 300 wm or wsm there is no difference in drop to 300 m that is meaningful
 
Opinion taken but with 200 gr Nosler Accubond in 8x68 and 300 wm or wsm there is no difference in drop to 300 m that is meaningful
Very true but with rangefinders easily available bullet drop is not what it used to be and from my personal experiences the 8mm kicking out 4200 ft lbs even gets wildebeest respect and as the 8x68 is 5 percent less energy it will do the same ...
 
Don't want to misinterpret, but I believe Odinsraven you may have meant to type: 8x68mm drops game on the spot where game shot with 300 magnum may run for some distance before dropping - is that correct? It seems like you have an experienced opinion.
 
Hi guys
Anyone have info on reloading the 8 x 68 S with Vihtavuori powers

Yes, I shoot a Blaser R8 in 8X68s. I use 68.5gr's of VV-N550 behind a 180gr TSX @ 3.425" and WLRM primers. I'm getting around 3020fps. My barrel is 24.75" bolt face to muzzle.
 
Is anyone using Hodgdon powders for this cartridge?
 
I found this on the net - I have no personal experience with this cartridge. hope it helps!


Vihtavuori Oy Reloading Guide 5th Ed.for the 8x68S.

Bullet powder / wt. vel. psi
187gr. SP RWS N160 77.9gr. 3070fps 55,114

196gr. SP RWS N160 77.2gr. 3030fps 55,114

200gr. SP Speer N160 72.2gr. 2890fps 55,114
The above loads are in the VV Manual - and specified RWS brass. No starting loads available in the book... the loads quoted above are MAX.
 
@Aaron N, I have not used any Hodgdon powders with the 8X68s. But I will share what my experience has been with loading for it.

I think any of the 4350 powders will work well with 180gr and lighter bullets. I haven’t messed much with 190 - 200g bullets but think the 4350s' will do well there too. I use VVN550, RL-16 and IMR4350 for 180g (TSX) and 160g (TTSX)bullets. I seem to get best accuracy and speed with 68.5g of powder. I would start around 64.0g and work my way up.

For 220g - 250g I use Alliants 4000MR. It is, I think, slightly slower than RL-19 which should work well too. With these bullet weights and powders I would start at 63.0g and work up.

All of my bullet seating has been 3.425” o.a.l. except for the 250gr Woodleigh which is 3.54”. My rifle is a Blaser R8 and is somewhat long throated.

Hope this helps.
 
@Aaron N, I have not used any Hodgdon powders with the 8X68s. But I will share what my experience has been with loading for it.

I think any of the 4350 powders will work well with 180gr and lighter bullets. I haven’t messed much with 190 - 200g bullets but think the 4350s' will do well there too. I use VVN550, RL-16 and IMR4350 for 180g (TSX) and 160g (TTSX)bullets. I seem to get best accuracy and speed with 68.5g of powder. I would start around 64.0g and work my way up.

For 220g - 250g I use Alliants 4000MR. It is, I think, slightly slower than RL-19 which should work well too. With these bullet weights and powders I would start at 63.0g and work up.

All of my bullet seating has been 3.425” o.a.l. except for the 250gr Woodleigh which is 3.54”. My rifle is a Blaser R8 and is somewhat long throated.

Hope this helps.
That’s loads of help, I have a box of 175gr Raptors, so that lighter weight info is great.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,430
Messages
1,575,976
Members
170,491
Latest member
LolaOlmste
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top