Reloading data for older 404 Barnes bullets

Jim K

AH member
Joined
Dec 9, 2018
Messages
24
Reaction score
46
Media
5
BAB399EE-ABB6-4888-8009-4DB99C1BD636.jpeg
Mid summer I was able to buy a Winchester 70 that had been converted to 404 Jeffrey.

I was able to also buy from a different source than the rifle. One full box of loaded ammo, a set of dies and about 275 bullets mostly older Barnes stuff. There is also one box of a - square bullets.

Where can I find reloading data for these bullets. I will most use them for practice and will load Swift aframes for the actual hunting. I only paid 100.00 for the ammo ,dies and bullets so it will be cheap practice
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sportsmans Warehouse has Barnes manuals. Midway might, too.
 
I have a Barnes manual number 4

These bullets are not in it. If someone has older manuals that have them in please share what Barnes manual I am looking for.

I just want to load these bullets for practice and need some data to be safe. Not really sure where to start.
 
Have you tried phoning Barnes? They should have info on them.
 
QL shows 80.6 Grs. of H-4350 as a max load for a 400 Gr. Barnes X. Expected velocity is 2313 FPS. Since you are already a reloader you know the drill. i.e. start off a couple of grains lower and work up. I normally use 84 Gr. of this powder with 400 Gr. Swift A frames for 2300 FPS. Given that the Barnes is a little longer bullet the reduced load makes sense to me.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,423
Messages
1,575,757
Members
170,388
Latest member
KieraLehma
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Hornedfrogbbq wrote on Rhoyland4's profile.
Do you mind me asking what auction you are referencing? I'm not in the market for any of those rifles...just curious.

Frosty in Fort Worth
K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
 
Top