DmacD

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Canada, U.S.A., Namibia, England, South Africa
A question for those in the know who may be able to guide me along on this one. I have a CZ 550 Medium Lux chambered in 9.3x62, with a 23.6 inch (600mm) barrel, and the barrel is marked with a 1:14 twist rate. I took it to Namibia last year with factory Norma Oryx 286gr ammo, and was very happy with it. It performed well on all the plains game, and is pretty accurate too. This rifle seems to like all of the 286gr stuff I feed it, with the exception of some factory Hornady 286gr SP Custom International for some reason (does not group well).
Anyway, I have located a set of RCBS dies, a friend willing to roll me up some and an itch to tinker. I know that the 9.3 built its reputation on the heavy for caliber bullets, but I was looking to flatten out the trajectory somewhat. I was wondering if perhaps a lighter bullet may do this for me, but without losing any of the 9.3's potency. Here are the bullet choices available to me here in Canada:

Cutting Edge 210gr ESP Raptor
Cutting Edge 255gr Safari Raptor
Lapua 220gr Naturalis (Lead Free)
Barnes 250gr TSX Triple Shock FB
Barnes 250gr TTSX BT
Hornady 250gr GMX
Norma 232gr Oryx SP or Vulcan SP
Nosler 250gr Sptz Accubond
Swift 250gr A-Frame

I don't necessarily want to hotrod this rifle, but maybe some suggestions on bullet choice, powder choice, and the speeds I should be trying to achieve to get the bullet to perform as it was intended to?
On the other hand, you could just tell me to stop messing with a good thing and keep shooting the Norma factory stuff too.
I would be open to any opinions or suggestions of those who know.
Thanks

Stop messing with a good thing and shoot Norma Oryx or Nosler Partitions. Seriously, I have a box of Barnes 250 gr TSX sitting on the bench and am waiting for a free day to get to the range and test some loads.
Same quest for a slightly flatter trajectory and a bit more velocity because it might add as much as 5 yards to my effective range.

Jeff

You should be able to get around 2550-2600 with any of the 250 gr bullets. I use Varget for those, and Ramshot Big Game for 286 gr.

Also, I'd stay with the 250 gr. All you're really getting out of the Oryx 232 is a higher MV. At around 200-250 yards, all of the additional velocity you got at the muzzle is bled off, and it's going the same velocity as any of the 250s. At that distance, KE and momentum both favor TTSX, NAB, or A-Frame.

I mentioned on another thread - 9.3x62 and 338WM, when shooting 250 gr bullets, can be/are very close ballistically, with a slight nod to 338 WM in MV, SD, and BC.

I had read that the Barnes and Swift A-frames were well spoken of, thanks for the suggestions Jeff and Zim.
I have not read anything on the Hornady GMX in 9.3, and I have not even heard of Cutting Edge bullets before.
There is a nifty YouTube video featuring the Lapua Naturalis, but I was hoping for some first hand information on them.
Thanks again guys.

You can't go wrong with the A-frame or Accubond, The A-frame is a stouter bullet so depending on application it may work best. For powder you can try Varget, IMR 4350, Reloader 15 most of the medium burn rate powders should work.

I struggled for a while finding a good load for my 9.3x62. My particular rifle is a Forbes 24B that I had rebarreled by Douglas. Melvin Forbes of New Ultralight Arms rebedded the barrel, replaced the extractor and painted the stock for me.
I use Norma brass , which even on sale, isn't the cheapest. I obsess about getting every FPS that I can in a load, but took a step back and decided to be realistic. The loads stated are loads that are safe in my rifle. I paired the 350-grain Barnes TSX with 57.5 grains of Varget for about 2,520 fps. Five rounds shoot within an inch when I do my part. The Barnes TTSX and the Swift A-frame both shoed promise that load, but I decided to concentrate on the TSX. This is the load I'm taking to South Africa for my hunt with Pawprint Safaris later this month.
I also found 58.5 grains of RL-15 paired with either the 285-grain Lupua Mega and the 286-grain Nosler Partition. The Partition runs about 2,450 fps. The Mega is very consistent between 2,475 and 2,480. I experienced flat primers with a little cratering. Lately, I've been using Ramshot Big Game and the Mega and Partition. I'm around 2,420 fps for both with good accuracy.
Good luck in your search.

I used both the 250gr Nos Accubond and Barnes 3 Shok in mine. Both loaded with IMR 4064 and I tried many powders. I had the exact same rifle as yours, a rare beast it is. I also had two of the American version without sights. All were good shooters.

Interesting thread, as I've only started reloading for my recently acquired FN. It came with 600 270gr Speer projectiles which I'm now itching to burn up: so I'll be watching for any advice posted here.

bedded the barrel?:E Shocked::eek:
bruce.
No, I have not bedded the barrel. The accuracy I have been getting so far out of this thing has been pretty good. I have a CZ full stock in 6.5 Swede that is ridiculously accurate and I have not bedded that one either. I have never bedded a rifle before. Is it something that a reloader, and therefore a chaser of accuracy does as a default for all of their rifles? Or, have I just been really lucky so far?

No, I have not bedded the barrel. The accuracy I have been getting so far out of this thing has been pretty good. I have a CZ full stock in 6.5 Swede that is ridiculously accurate and I have not bedded that one either. I have never bedded a rifle before. Is it something that a reloader, and therefore a chaser of accuracy does as a default for all of their rifles? Or, have I just been really lucky so far?
IMO I think you've been lucky so far. Bedding improves accuracy and usually involves pillar bedding or bedding in fibreglass. It's generally done by a gunsmith, and though I know a few enthusiastic guys who have done it themselve, I'd rather get a 'smith to do it who knows what he's doing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have used the 250 accubon on everything from diker to blue wildebeest in 9.3x62 and 9.3x74 single shot and have found that RL 17 and Ramshot Big Game are the go to powders for the x62. I have a custom mauser I had built and it is a sub MOA gun with that bullet. I have shot all the rest of them from 300 gr Aframes down to 232gr hawk bullets and that is the most accurate bullet in my gun. However if you have any plans that might include DG the Aframe is the way to go for a soft.

IMO I think you've been lucky so far. Bedding improves accuracy and usually involves pillar bedding or bedding in fibreglass. It's generally done by a gunsmith, and though I know a few enthusiastic guys who have done it themselve, I'd rather get a 'smith to do it who knows what he's doing.
New Ultralight Arms and the defunct Forbes Rifles all have bedded barrels. And no, that is something I would not tackle myself.
Correction: I'm using a 250-grain Barnes TSX in my rifle. Don't know where the "350-grain" came from.

Interesting, all the research points to big game and RL17. However, in working up loads with 286 gr A-Frames, I am getting much better accuracy and tighter velocity spread with H-4350. It has sharper felt recoil than the big game loads but not bad.

Interesting, all the research points to big game and RL17. However, in working up loads with 286 gr A-Frames, I am getting much better accuracy and tighter velocity spread with H-4350. It has sharper felt recoil than the big game loads but not bad.

I see a pretty close to even split on RL-17 and Varget.

I think if Swift made a 250 gr Scirocco II, that would be the one to try and get some really extended range out of the old nine-three.

Bedding is something that I had never really given any serious thought to, but sounds like a good place to start to ensure some consistency. Thanks for tips guys.
I guess what I was wanting to know initially was how the actual bullets chosen performed on game. With factory amme, you can choose your bullet, but you get what you are given in so far as velocity is concerned. Being a total novice when it comes to reloading, I was interested in what bullet type/weight that people had first hand knowledge of on game, and what speeds to drive them at to achieve the best results on an animal.
I don't want to push a bullet to fast, only to have it rip on through and not open up.
On the other hand, I don't want to have it fall to the ground at 200 yards either.
Any recipes out there that fit the bill?

I guess it really comes down to what you prefer. For myself, from the quoted bullet line, up I'd tend towards either Swifts or Barnes in 250gr for hunting. To me the 250gr represents the best mean values: but there again, I've always tended towards a heavier bullet over a lighter, faster, one.

But from your statement of not wanting to push a bullet too fast, or to have it rip through and not open up, indicates to me (if we're assuming African PG) that you want your bullets to enter the animal, expand well, and not exit. Thats a good starting point - which probably means that a mid-range powder charge and velocity is best.

But what you wish to achieve from reloading is depedant on soooooo many factors. Therefore, probably the safest and best advice I can give is to go spend some time talking to a local experienced reloader near to you, or at your local club, and learn the basics. From there you'll start acquiring the necessary gear and forming your own ideas on a desired load combination (bullet, powder, powder weight, primer, seating depth, full length or neck resizing?, etc etc) for the purpose(s) you want.

But half the fun of reloading is in the satisfaction of finally working out and constructing the load(s) that best suit your rifle for the purpose(s), and accuracy, you require. (y)

Last edited:
My son has the CZ 550 American in 9.3x62. He uses 250 TTSX with Alliant 2000MR and gets around 2550fps. He has taken Zebra, Kudu, Wildebeest, etc. with it, all one shot kills. I have the 9.3x62 in a Blaser R8. I used the 250 TTSX on Black Bear and Moose a couple of years back in B.C. with good effect. Now I am currently shooting 250 Lapua Naturalis with CFE 223 but have not yet used it on any animals.

A note on your poll, Lapua does not make their Naturalis in 220gr anymore, only the 250gr.

dean,
here is advice given to me by mr hober personally from swift bullets.
"drive them as hard as you can and try to hit bone"
bullets will often have less expansion going slower than faster.
cup and core going faster will open up more than slower as well, and can self destruct under certain circumstances.
swifts will open fast, as they are pure copper and pure lead. they also will not self destruct.
barnes require speed to open correctly.
so with side on chest shots they go through.
this will kill well with moderately good placement.
they will also reach vitals on angled shots, including through bone.
do not be afraid of going fast with good bullets, it can only benefit you, even though you get full penetration.
the old dwell time , and transfer all the energy to the animal arguments are actually now disproven.
bruce.

dean,
here is advice given to me by mr hober personally from swift bullets.
"drive them as hard as you can and try to hit bone"
bullets will often have less expansion going slower than faster.
cup and core going faster will open up more than slower as well, and can self destruct under certain circumstances.
swifts will open fast, as they are pure copper and pure lead. they also will not self destruct.
barnes require speed to open correctly.
so with side on chest shots they go through.
this will kill well with moderately good placement.
they will also reach vitals on angled shots, including through bone.
do not be afraid of going fast with good bullets, it can only benefit you, even though you get full penetration.
the old dwell time , and transfer all the energy to the animal arguments are actually now disproven.
bruce.

a little napkin math to underscore the last.

there are 7000 grains in a pound. a 500# animal therefore has 3,500,000 grains of mass (for the purists, yes, I know, mass is measured in Newtons or kg). 3,500,000/300 gr bullet, the animal has almost 12000 times more mass than the bullet. "energy transfer" is a load of hooey. make a wide wound channel that goes all the way through. more tissue destruction, more bleeding, faster and surer death.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg