Reloading Addiction Group

@ChrisG
My mate Greg was given a reloading set up years ago. It languished in the cupboard for years as he thought you needed a university degree in rocket science to use it.
Fast forward to 5 or 6 years ago when I met Greg and introduced him to the black art of reloading. He now has more brass, projectiles and primers to outfit a third world army. He has great pleasure working up loads for all his rifles even with projectiles he eill never use off the range. BUT it's fun to him playing with all the possible combinations of bullet, powder, seating depth etc. Even if his load groups less than half an inch he has to play more to work up more lads just because. Even tho he has over 1,000 308 projectiles he had to buy another 400 in a different brand just to try them.
I have created a monster.
Bob
Sounds like me. A friend gave me his RCBS reloading outfit. Press, dies, case trimmer, the works, plus powder and primers. Well over $1k of stuff if I had to buy it. I then let it all sit untouched for 18 months.

Last night I fired my own handloads for the first time. Three rounds of .30-06 150gr. Hornady Interlock ahead of 50.0 gr. of IMR 4064. No chrono but the book says it should be good for 2750 fps or so. Tolerable group 1.50".

Now I guess I play around with the powder charge and try to tighten the group a bit. A fun hobby for sure as I'm a most incorrigible tinker!
 
"A person with an addiction uses a substance, or engages in a behavior, for which the rewarding effects provide a compelling incentive to repeat the activity, despite detrimental consequences."

What is it about reloading that has detrimental consequences?!
 
"A person with an addiction uses a substance, or engages in a behavior, for which the rewarding effects provide a compelling incentive to repeat the activity, despite detrimental consequences."

What is it about reloading that has detrimental consequences?!

My bank account!
 
"A person with an addiction uses a substance, or engages in a behavior, for which the rewarding effects provide a compelling incentive to repeat the activity, despite detrimental consequences."

What is it about reloading that has detrimental consequences?!
@AimSmall
More money spent on components to experiment, wear barrels out quicker= smaller bank account to but more components.
Plus side
Relaxation, tailored loads to suit rifle and game.
Time away from nagging wife. Priceless.
Bob
 
I have been reloading since 1978 and for the most part reload for everything I shoot except for rimfire and a couple of pistol calibers.
It is a wonderful hobby that I will continue to be addicted to until the day I cannot shoot any more.
 
It’s time for me to feed my addiction a bit. And given the scarcity of some of the larger than 30 caliber brass these days I’ve decided to look at annealing cases. Some of my 338s and 416s are on their 5th loadings. Does annealing actually help prevent split necks, and what do y’all use to do it with the larger cases?
 
It’s time for me to feed my addiction a bit. And given the scarcity of some of the larger than 30 caliber brass these days I’ve decided to look at annealing cases. Some of my 338s and 416s are on their 5th loadings. Does annealing actually help prevent split necks, and what do y’all use to do it with the larger cases?

Yes it helps prevent neck splitting. Your problem will be what cases are you running? Belted magnums will be an issue for long case life.
 
Tip: I do fine annealing without any expensive special equipment. Bought two Wooster brand Pelicans ( painting department Home Depot) and put a torch in each. Done.
Tempilaq works fine. There’s a magnet that holds gas cannister stable. Works great and they cost me $11 each.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6711.png
    IMG_6711.png
    10.1 MB · Views: 60
Excellent idea. What do you use to rotate the cases? If you don’t mind elaborating a bit more on your process. (y) Thank you!!
 
Yep I'm definitely a reloading addict ! I find it creative, relaxing and enjoy reaping the benefits of shooting what I load.

The ability to pick my own bullets has been a big plus over the years and has allowed me to get a lot of utility from many of my rifles, to find a bullet and load that worked for varmint, deer and target use from the same rifle.

My son loves that we have our own ammo store of free ammo for him to use! I've been putting him to work on the press recently and hope that he gets to enjoy reloading as much as I do.
 
Excellent idea. What do you use to rotate the cases? If you don’t mind elaborating a bit more on your process. (y) Thank you!!
I hol them in my hand and drop em on a towel jut shy of three seconds. I wear gloves. It works great. Quick and easy set up.
 
That sounds less messy than my method. I have a turntable (record player) set at 33 1/3. On it is a 9" diameter cake pan. I place 20 cases standing on their base in a circular ring near the edge of the pan, the pan has an inch or so of water in it. I start the turntable and with a propane torch heat the neck of the case nearest to me. I follow the case as it makes the revolution. When it gets back to me the neck will be almost glowing and I'll flick it over in the water which results in a sizzle and steam. the process is repeated with each of the 20. then the water is drained from the pan. the cases are towel dried, then put back in the pan and placed in a 120 degree oven to evaporate any remaining water. As noted, @Vinootz method sounds a lot easier.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,313
Messages
1,572,591
Members
169,592
Latest member
digitalonetick
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top