Reloaders quality vs affordability?

Unfortunately the distance between the pistol grip and the leaver to roll the block on a ruger no1 isn't large enough to accommodate my hand comfortably. If I could find a no.3 ( which I believe have English or straight stocks) I would of acquired it.
My rifle is a brass model single shot Henry topped with a Nikon monarch African.
My father hunted his entire life with a martini enfield in .303 commonwelth. As well as killed hundreds of bovine , sheep , swine and the odd horse.

I have casted lead balls for use in the abattoir , .41 cal roundballs in a light field load with a dab of wax to secure them in place. So I have considered casting my own rifle bullets but plan to take one step at a time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thankyou I've got several hundred hornady cases but I will file that away for when I eventually deplete my reserve.
Well just so you're aware, the Hornady Lever evolution brass is somewhat shorter than the normal Winchester. I have only reloaded a small amount of .45-70, but noted this in the course of my efforts it was a lube groove and a half or so shorter everything seated to the same OAL. Segregate it and use it alone for making up loads and adjustment of dies.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.39.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.39.45 AM.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.39.48 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-12-21 at 9.39.48 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 88
It’s nice to have your own manual but If you know the projectile you need that is a start.
Members can provide load data both published and what they have tried and proven in their rifles.
Manufacturers may provide catalogues or online catalogues of their projectiles etc.
Reloading equipment companies would do the same. Dies, accessories.
There are some tutorials for loading online, some video tutorials too.
The manuals will help you set and adjust the dies. And are a source of knowledge around reloading.
It sounds like you might be limited for powder availability or stockists at least.
It’s unlikely that you will get the specs of a factory load , I don’t think they publish what powder and primer are in a factory load they only give the projectile type and weight.

Maybe the main thing is keep records of the loads and load testing when you find what works your set.

If you get adventurous getting projectiles through mail order in country should be possible I would think.

For what its worth I recommend you eventually get a case cleaning tumbler and a chronograph to clean and polish your brass and to check the velocities of your loads.

Maybe the main thing is keep records of the loads and load testing when you find what works your set.

I have used quite a few sources for data over the years, and even subscribe to loaddata.com in order to have gobs of data at my finger-tips without having to store all the books.

But, I also have kept records these past 45 years....I guess this is the book I have never written! :)

IMG_1245.jpg

It can be fun to take a trip down memory lane, to see what you were loading in the 45-70 for Squirrel back in the 70s. :D

Thank you all for taking the time to answer.

this question should open up a debate, what is anyone's preferred load for 45-70.

For squirrels?

Lead round ball and five greens unique

A .45 cal round ball the same as used in a percussion revolver? @tarbe

That is a vary interesting idea while our squirrels arnt large enough to justify hunting except to tie flys. ( and to get them to leave Christmas light alone)
I would assume the same load would work for rabbit. Providing a good way to stay sharp in the off season.

A .45 cal round ball the same as used in a percussion revolver? @tarbe

That is a vary interesting idea while our squirrels arnt large enough to justify hunting except to tie flys. ( and to get them to leave Christmas light alone)
I would assume the same load would work for rabbit. Providing a good way to stay sharp in the off season.
Yup.

Also gives you bragging rights for being a little bit weird.

@tarbe ever try round balls with a stouter charge?

Hottest I ever loaded the RB was 15gr of Green Dot.

This was in September of 1975, 3 years before I purchased my Oehler M33 (which I used yesterday!) so I cannot say what the velocity was.

As I look back at my records, I see I loaded more RB with 7gr of Green Dot than anything else.

I wonder if one of our QuckLoad Wizards can estimate? I doubt the 7gr Green Dot load was going much faster than 600 - 700 fps. But that was a loooooong time ago!

The 15gr Green Dot load is just under 28k psi with a 405gr cast...so obviously will be well below that peak pressure with the much lighter RB.

Good afternoon gentleman, I have a question which I'm sure has been answered many times but I'm going to ask it anyways.

I am looking to purchase a reloading press , their is only one store that sells reloading equipment in the area so my options are limited. The gentleman who owns the store deals with two different brands of reloaders one being magtech the other being lee.

The magtech press and dies is about half the money of the lee press and dies.

I only am looking to reload one caliber. So additional dies is not a concern. Is the quality of the lee press superior enough to that of the magtech press to justify the additional expense?

Could a magtech press be relied apon to reload aprox. 100 rounds of 45-70 a year. Year after year?

any advice you gentleman could provide would be greatly appreciated. To this point I've always used factory ammunition and would of continued to do so if not for the cost. A box of hornedy 325 grain is closeing in on 75$ a box.
@ Skinnersblade
I have been using the Lee anniversary press for 12 years and thousands of rounds without a problem.
Bob

Good afternoon, Skinnersblade, and welcome to the best all around hunting site on the Web.

You have gotten good advice here already but I will add my 2 cents, if I may. By way of credentials, I have been reloading for over 40 years, use multiple brands of equipment, and load several calibers. That said, keep in mind that my opinion is worth exactly what you pay for it.

Good advice about buying a kit, whatever brand you select. Also good advice to buy an O type press rather than a C type, and to make certain there is clearance enough for the .45-70, including room to start the bullet prior to seating.

RCBS is extremely good equipment and their customer service is the best. You can't go wrong there. That said, I have direct experience with a Lee cast iron O press loading 470 Nitro Express. (No experience with their dies, however.) .470 NE is as demanding on the press as the .45 - 70, perhaps more so. After many hundreds of rounds, I have found the press to be accurate, consistent and durable so far. Remember, too, that good quality modern presses are designed to handle large volumes for years. A hundred rounds a year is nothing. Your grandchildren will be out of law school before the press is even broken in.

So, if you are the kind who always buys the best, you will be happy with RCBS. If budget is an issue, or if you just want the most bang for the buck for your specific application, you won't go wrong with the LEE.

Hope this is helpful.
@James in TX
I've been reloading for a long time but 12 years ago purchased the Lee anniversary kit. It is an aluminum O frame that has never let me down. I load for 12 different calibers and form cases for my Wildcats on it with nary a hiccup. It will handle loaded cases up to 3.5 inches. 99% of my dies are Lee and the are as good as my Redding and Hornaday dies
If you are reloading the 45/70 with 325 FTXs be careful if the cases are shorter than standard you will need Hornaday new dimension dies for the FTX and standard dies for normal loads
Bob

Given that I am loading for a single shot , could 325 grain pointed bullets be substituted? I'm given the impression both 45-70 and 458win mag are .458 bullets.
To my knowledge the flex tip is made for safe use in tubular magazine rifles.
@a Skinnersblade
As you are loading a single shot you can use standard cases and dies. Just get standard hornaday dies and an fix seater stem.
I reloaded all my 444 Marlin FTX rounds with a standard set if dies without any problems because like yourself I wasn't using a lever action.
Bob

Have you looked at Brownels or Midway and I wouldn't go after a re-loading kit half the stuff they have you won't use after a month . get yourself the basics and build from there.
@Rob404
The Lee anniversary kit comes with everything you need and noting you dont. Just need dies and you will use 95% of it straight away.
Bob

Gentleman I appreciate the knowledge your passing along. In saying that we're getting away from what I hope to accomplish.
I'm looking to reload one caliber (45-70) to approximately hornedy 325 ftx pressures for one rifle.

I hunt with a total of three firearms one rifle a single shot Henry 45-70, one 12 gauge double and one .410 double both side by sides. The longest shots I have fired have been on cattle which couldn't be caught and those have been sub three hundred yards. We simply don't have open country enough for multiple hundred yard shots at game.

Can we safely say a lee o type press can be relied apon to load approximately 100 rounds a year for one rifle ? That is the question I'm left with.

I truely appreciate all that you have contributed to furthering my limited knowledge on the subject. Thank you all.
Skinnersblade
This in a set of Lee 45/70 dies and go have fun. One thing no one has mentioned is that when loading straight wall cars is that you will need to bell the mouth slightly to start the bullet seating. Lee dies come with this expander, also you won't need to crimp the case mouth for your single shot.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg