Reloader 17 & Varget Powder

Not sure where you are based in MI, but I was just at the Sportsman's warehouse in Troy.......they have two 1 lb canisters (well......as of 20 minutes ago they had two 1 lb canisters) of Varget....$50/ lb.
Good luck on your quest!

In my search for substitute powders for the 9.3x62 I found that Vihtavouri powders are working well.

With 250 Accubonds N140 gave the same velocity as Varget with the same powder charge with better accuracy.

With 286 Partitions N140, N150 and N540 were all good.
Thanks for the input, I have a lot of N140 on hand and just loaded both 232 and 286 grain test loads. I over paid for Varget and also loaded some test loads, time to get out and shoot.

I've only seen varget once in the last 30 months, a couple weeks ago. It was $600 for a keg.

Alliant PowerPro 2000MR is a great powder for 9.3x62, so is Ramshot Big Game. They both do better with 286 gr than 250 gr. They seem to work better under a bit higher pressure. I've used them both, found them to be about the same.

Though I've never used it for 9.3x62, I'm guessing CFE223 would work well also. @Bob Nelson 35Whelen swears by it for his 35W.
Zim you are correct about Ramshot Big Game powder. Works great with 286grn bullets but I got less than stellar results with 250's. Seems they don't build sufficient pressure for complete combustion resulting in vertical stringing. Worked up a dandy load for 250grn pills using H-380 and getting excellent velocity and outstanding accuracy.

Not sure where you are based in MI, but I was just at the Sportsman's warehouse in Troy.......they have two 1 lb canisters (well......as of 20 minutes ago they had two 1 lb canisters) of Varget....$50/ lb.
Good luck on your quest!
$50/lb ... ridiculous.

I just bought 2 cans of Ramshot Magnum, at $28/lb from Midway. Course, it doesn't scale well on the hazmat charge when you buy that little, so total cost still ran me about $45/lb. Midsouth also has/had some for the same price as of yesterday.

Except for availability, that isn't much different than it was pre-pandemic.

I use IMR - 4064 in my 35 Whelen, it works well, so I never tried anything else. Just for giggles I ran a QuickLoad simulation for a 9.63 X 62 with a 24" barrel using IMR-4064 55.6 gr. and Varget 56.5 gr. Pressures for both were just below PMax. Velocities for the IMR was 2404 FPS for Varget it was 2402. These loads look pretty comparable. PM me if you want more info.

Two weeks ago, Morr's in Willow Street, PA had three 8 lb. jugs of Varget for $349.99 each.

Dont discount IMR4064. My most accurate loads with this round used full charges of it at least with 250 gr Barnes and Noslers, which are the bullets I prefer for PG.
Both Varget and R15 are very good choices as well.
This, there are a bunch of ctgs IMR4064 will work well in & others that are ok! It’s a very versatile powder.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.