Recommended Binocular Carry Methods

TN Traveler

AH member
Reaction score
In preparing for my third trip to Africa which is scheduled for late May, 2021, I’ve been watching far too many You Tube videos.......I’d appreciate some advice on the recommended carry method for binoculars. I have been wearing a simple, center of my chest strap for 15 years. I’ve tried a few different center of the chest binocular holders like Kuiu but find them awkward and slow for the whitetail hunting that I normally do on our home hunts.
On the Africa hunting videos, especially those involving buffalo, it seems like the majority of the PH’s prefer a single strap with the binoculars carried under one arm until needed. Is that the way to carry my binoculars on my first cape buffalo hunt?
Thank you in advance for your recommendations.

Agree with the rick young harness. You can wear it on chest, under arm, around neck. Light, and don’t need to worry about strap orientation.

I also used the Rick Young harness (with the neoprene binocular cover) on my last trip. I am planning to use it on my regular Alberta hunting.

This is REALLY stir up some s—t. I have a pair of Zeiss 8x20 compacts that fold up and fit in a shirt pocket. They have gone with me on every hunt since the early 1980’s.
On my first safari I had those Zeiss plus a pair of Swarovski 10x30’s. My PH told me to just leave the Swarovski’s in the truck when stalking. Concentrate on shooting, he’d take care of judging game and if there was something to look at, I’d have the compacts. It worked great on that hunt as well as my second safari. I never felt the need for my full sized binos while on a stalk.
If I do carry my binos, I’ve never been a fan of the chest harness, I went to carrying them strapped diagonally across the body.

I use binoculars a bunch and I've tried every single way there is to carry binoculars.
Yes I've tried them all.....and a chest pack can't be beat.....

Your optics are safe, secure and easily accessible and won't swing, sway or move as you move.

Every other method falls far short

At this time my favorite is the newest generation KUIU

Rick young sling ! Works all ways !

I use a Rick Young for most hunting. For chasing buffalo, there is nothing better than a smooth leather strap that puts the Binoculars on the left hip (for a right hand shooter). Smooth leather is much better than rough or any man-made material because it allows the glass to come up quickly and noiselessly. The only time I ever use a padded harness is for alpine hunting.

I use a relatively small, by current standards, Cabela's harness, or bino bra. Small leather patch in the centre of the back and nothing in front except clips for the binos to attach to. If you are comfortable with the under one arm carry (what I call the "Mark Sullivan carry":sneaky:), then by all means go with that. Personally, I don't like something between my arm and my chest when I'm walking long distances or running.

When I see some of these movies where people have enormous pieces on the back, I can only imagine how annoying that would be given the heat on many hunts. And then some people carry their binos in a case which is strapped to the front! Again, way too much stuff on you. And if the binos are in a case, by the time you've got them out and used them when you need them, there's nothing left to see. Except, that is, for a pissed PH who wonders what he ever did to deserve you as a client.

I use binoculars a bunch and I've tried every single way there is to carry binoculars.
Yes I've tried them all.....and a chest pack can't be beat.....

Your optics are safe, secure and easily accessible and won't swing, sway or move as you move.

Every other method falls far short

At this time my favorite is the newest generation KUIU

I don't disagree with you.

However, because of nerve damage in my left leg, it is weak. On rough ground, I have to use trekking poles. On the rocky ground in the mountainous Eastern Cape, I found my chest pouch did not allow me to see the ground adequately to safely place my feet. My binoculars rode diagonally across my chest unprotected.

With the neoprene cover, the Rick Young system provides some protection, versatility of placement and is lightweight.

This is REALLY stir up some s—t. I have a pair of Zeiss 8x20 compacts that fold up and fit in a shirt pocket. They have gone with me on every hunt since the early 1980’s.
On my first safari I had those Zeiss plus a pair of Swarovski 10x30’s. My PH told me to just leave the Swarovski’s in the truck when stalking. Concentrate on shooting, he’d take care of judging game and if there was something to look at, I’d have the compacts. It worked great on that hunt as well as my second safari. I never felt the need for my full sized binos while on a stalk.
If I do carry my binos, I’ve never been a fan of the chest harness, I went to carrying them strapped diagonally across the body.

10×30s are not full size binocs. They are compact or midsize. 10×40 are full size. 8×20 are pocket size.

I've got the Swarovski 10x25's. I've found them more than adequate for all the African hunting I've done. They are tiny and very light. I use a thin smooth leather strap and they sit just above my left hip with the strap over my right shoulder. With the smooth strap they come up quietly and smoothly. On longer walks I can fold them and stash them in my shirt pocket as well (Thats where they are sitting in my profile pic). They are also a lot less expensive than their bigger brothers so you care less about them when moving through thick brush, crawling etc allowing you to focus on what's important... When crawling I actually slide them over so they rest on my back. With bigger binos I'd probably use a Rick Young type harness.

The way I see it, if you're out hunting you don't need huge binos. Your shooting and glassing distance is hardly ever more than a few hundred yards. You are not sightseeing. I keep a small pair of fold-ups in a pocket with easy access. If I do need a SLIGHTLY larger pair then it is on a strap ala Mark Sullivan carry.

I don't disagree with you.

However, because of nerve damage in my left leg, it is weak. On rough ground, I have to use trekking poles. On the rocky ground in the mountainous Eastern Cape, I found my chest pouch did not allow me to see the ground adequately to safely place my feet. My binoculars rode diagonally across my chest unprotected.

With the neoprene cover, the Rick Young system provides some protection, versatility of placement and is lightweight.

I use poles a ton and can see my foot placement very good. We must be built differently

20180909_133003.jpg

I sling them on one shoulder with a simple strap and they ride at my hip. It is easy to slide them up for use and they don't swing around. I figured if the PHs at my outfitter used that carry, they must have this all sorted out. Worked well for me.

+1 on the Rick Young harness!! Best I've ever tried!

Another vote for Rick Young. By far the best I've found.

I was waiting on another member at DSC when Rick grabbed me at DSC. I thought it was "show crap" but his pitch and presentation were so good I spent the $20 (show price) just for the entertainment value. Very glad I did. That was in 2015 and the first set is still going strong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CharlieRiggs

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross