Recoil aversion

I would say a lot of it is because of misinformation online, As well as videos of idiots getting knocked on their butts by the recoil.

the creedmores with the brakes dont bother me nearly as much as the guys at the range with the $4500 AR gucci guns in 556 with the muzzle brakes.. that try to tell you that the reduction in recoil is what makes the gun more accurate..

Makes me crazy to go to the range and have one of those guys planted firmly on either side of me, blowing my ear pro off my head with every shot...

while they burn through 500 rounds of cheap russian steel cased 55gr ammo... all in the name of "accuracy".. .lol..
I got a laugh out of that. Thanks!

The strongest man I ever knew.........big, thick, burley and tough,.....was very recoil sensitive .....and preferred light rifles......I think there is a lot of individual variation.......FWB

You'll probably think I'm crazy, but the best thing I have done to handle recoil is to dry fire or at least snap the gun to my shoulder in the same manner as WDM Bell did on the march. I think the muscle memory helps me to be in an untensed relaxed state which gives rather than resists the motion.
Next best thing is an extra sand bag between bag and shoulder when at bench rest.
Never feel a thing when shooting at game. 22 practice is great, too.

My Dad now 85 says it’s just this younger generations don’t know how to take a punch! That and a bunch of other things not fit to print in this forum. The trend is so wide spread there has to be more underlying causes at play here. Or maybe I am just getting old and senile.
Thats what my dad said, "you're just like your mother--you can't take a punch!"

Probably because every generation in history thinks the subsequent generation is softer and hasn't had to face anything so hard as their own generation has.
That's true: when I was a kid I had to walk across 9 ft of shag carpet just to change the channel...

I don't know the answer either but I think @MS 9x56 has a very valid point. Before recoil reducers and brakes, everyone either learned to shoot the heavy recoilers or didn't. Now with all the marketing of both gadgets and acceptable excuses, most anything that has recoil can and will be labeled by someone as having too much recoil. And those may very well self diagnose as having a "condition" called "recoil aversion".

I guess I am as averse as any one to heavy recoil but I've learned to live with it without flinching. I've tried enough rifles with brakes to know that if I had gone that route I would have never learned to shoot the bigger guns without flinching. There is nothing good for shooting technique, IMO, about feeling the initial bullet thrust, followed by a reverse thrust as the bullet passes the brake, followed very closely by the compression blast hitting the face- lovely.

The hardest recoiling rifle I ever shot was an ultra light weight 458 WM with a poorly designed stock loaded heavy with 500 grainers off the bench. Everything about that rifle was wrong. :) That was over 50 years ago. Took a few years to forget that enough to allow for shooting any heavy recoilers in the 300 WM category or larger. And yes to those who say a shotgun can have heavy and uncomfortable felt recoil! Shoot five quick rounds out of a light weight 12 ga pump with max slug loads and hard butt plate prone for a few repetitions and report back. :)

@mdwest
For 5.56 with gas brakes, I wouldnt be too surpised.
On same theory that muzzle brakes improve accuracy, it is not uncommon today to fit it on 22lr rimfires.

At the muzzle, the gasses expand faster then the bullet flies, and create turbulences few inches infront of the muzzle, sorrounding the bullet at the begging of trajectory, alegedly affecting the bullet in flight. Gas brakes reduce this effect.
Thats the theory.

I have never tested to tell for certain. (and I dont have any gas brakes on my rifles, 22 nor centerfires)

From hunting perspective, it is absolutely insginfficant for accuracy, of course. But there is increasing number of target shooters who accept this theory as valid. So it is not surprise. There is also, entire project developed by browning for their BOSS muzzle brake system, based on this theory and additionally included reduction of effect of barrel harmonics.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.37.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.37.00 AM.png
    679.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.37.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.37.02 AM.png
    2.6 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.37.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-12-11 at 8.37.04 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 73
Last edited:
@MS 9x56 Great thread! There have been several good theories and ideas. I do agree that bullet quality may have made a significant difference. I've often been a bit of an advocate for lesser recoiling rifles in the past. I do believe that some are quite underestimated, and that with proper shot placement with a quality bullet, that they are very capable of taking game larger than one may think. I've shot several big bodied Mulies, Elk, and Moose with my little 6mm Remington over the years. HOWEVER, I've always felt like a bit of a pansy when it comes to recoil, so I got very comfortable with that rifle!
I totally agree with @Philip Glass regarding African game. They do seem to have a bit of a toughness that's on a bit of a different level than the typical North American game, and a step up (or two) (or three) from your favorite deer rifle would be a good idea. We all need people like @Randy F around to offer help and guidance. It was great to hear what you did for that young man. It reminds me of how many great people are on this site. Several of you mentioned shotguns, and I hadn't really given that much thought. I've never really been recoil sensitive while shooting shotguns, only rifles. But you guys are right, they can blast you pretty hard! My 6mm is collecting more dust than it used to, as I started using a .270, and my 35Rem in the heavy bush. This year I pulled out my .300WM. I decided to use it for hunting this season with the hopes of working past my recoil aversion. It went fairly well actually, and I find that hearing protection helps immensely!!! I don't notice recoil or noise while hunting, but for shooting paper it makes a big difference (for me) in perceived recoil if I don't have my eardrums blasted.

No perceived recoil when you adopt the African hunter's advanced shooting skills

Wildly shooting over your shoulder at an enraged buff whilst inelegantly trying to climb a knob thorn tree

Try it - no perceived recoil !! :giggle:

We may also take into account Service experience to explain recoil aversion.

When I joined the Army, I was issued a Mauser in 7,92x51, which kicked like a mule, then a Cetme in 7,62x51 NATO. Most of today´s youngsters don´t serve in the armed forces, and those who do are issued a soft recoiling 5,56x45 NATO. So, what do we expect ?

We may also take into account Service experience to explain recoil aversion.

When I joined the Army, I was issued a Mauser in 7,92x51, which kicked like a mule, then a Cetme in 7,62x51 NATO. Most of today´s youngsters don´t serve in the armed forces, and those who do are issued a soft recoiling 5,56x45 NATO. So, what do we expect ?

Yup

For me it was the 7.62 SLR in 4 Indep

then the same rifle in Brit forces

I am starting to think that between not being trained proper form and not many kids hunting small game with a shotgun , that those 2 factors combined may have a lot to do with it. Thank you to everyone who shared their experiences and thoughts. I have always enjoyed this forum most for its knowledgable people.

I gotta admit the gen Xers got us on that one with this covid crap. More mentally tough than physically tough but still a once every hundred years pestilence.

What?!?!?

Fortunately/unfortunately over the last 15 years I have become very aware of the human body’s response to “sensory”. I think very with what this boils down to, if you do the math/science/research.

Cover the eyes, ears, shoot.... no fletch. Obviously, that’s not an option when hunting/shooting, but to my point.

The more sensory you protect, the less sensitive you are to other senses.

This is true.... wear super duper hearing protection & eye protection, maybe a jacket. You’d be surprised how you really don’t feel the punch of a 416 rigby vs a 556.

A while back I purchased a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 creed, and that rifle came from the factory with a muzzle break. Why? I personally don't get that, but one thing I did noticed is that I can stay on target and noticed the impact of the bullet. Worth having a muzzle break, probably not. I definitely wouldn't take my 6.5 CM to Africa. It's a very light rifle, and would be perfect if I ever go after a Billy Goat. :)

I always believed recoil aversion is situationa. At the range there is a lot anticipation.In the bush after Buffalo or elephant the roar of my 500 Jeffries was comforting.

Fortunately/unfortunately over the last 15 years I have become very aware of the human body’s response to “sensory”. I think very with what this boils down to, if you do the math/science/research.

Cover the eyes, ears, shoot.... no fletch. Obviously, that’s not an option when hunting/shooting, but to my point.

The more sensory you protect, the less sensitive you are to other senses.

This is true.... wear super duper hearing protection & eye protection, maybe a jacket. You’d be surprised how you really don’t feel the punch of a 416 rigby vs a 556.
this is exactly right, at least for me. I've found that what makes me flinch the most is the muzzle blast/ noise

A while back I purchased a Christensen Arms Mesa in 6.5 creed, and that rifle came from the factory with a muzzle break. Why? I personally don't get that, but one thing I did noticed is that I can stay on target and noticed the impact of the bullet. Worth having a muzzle break, probably not. I definitely wouldn't take my 6.5 CM to Africa. It's a very light rifle, and would be perfect if I ever go after a Billy Goat. :)

Staying on target and calling your own shot are pretty big deals, at least to me anyway.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UnaEichel0

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.