Recent dip and ship cost

Just arrived from Dar es Salaam via Turkish air to Houston at $3300.
1 Zebra skin
1 Bush pig-skull and skin
1 Impala-skull and skin
1 Nyasa -skull and skin
4 warthog skulls
2 Spotted Hyenas-skull and skin
2 Cape Buffalo-skulls

HH

My crate consisted of
1 black wildebeest
1 kudu
1 Impala
1 blesbok
1 springbok
Skulls and horns only no taxidermy I’ll clean up, whiten and build placques
Arrived this week from 4/23 hunt from SA in better shape than I had feared.
Dip and pack $760.00
Shipping SA to Chicago $750.00
Clearing customs, paperwork etc and shipping to my home $1200.00
Total $2710.00
Crate could had held more. Actual weight half of volumetric weight.

I had a small crate shipped last September with 8 plains game animals, mostly skulls, tanned hides, and rugs, one shoulder mount. Paperwork and airfare from joberg to NYC was $1100 and the customs clearance and freight shipping to my door was $1200. I used Zingela in Africa and Coppersmiths in NYC .
Zingela will be who is handling mine, I guess I will wait and see, The 6k bill my friend had scared me.. I feel like that way to much. He used zingela and Turkish air also.
Does no one ship sea freight any more? I am really in no huge rush, All I am hearing is air fright and pretty wide ranging of prices.

I want to respectfully offer a different opinion. Many have said, basically, that shipping was going to be too much money and now they aren't going to ship anything back and have the memories. My feeling is this: If I am going to pay for airfare, trophy fees, tips, etc... I am definitely going to spend the money to have my trophies shipped back to me. With out them of course you have your memories, but only YOU have your memories. I want to be able to show my family and friends that mythical Kudu while I explain the story to them. I want then to see, and touch, my zebra. I want them to SEE what a Honey Badger actually looks like! Way too much money spent to not have your quarry.

Zingela will be who is handling mine, I guess I will wait and see, The 6k bill my friend had scared me.. I feel like that way to much. He used zingela and Turkish air also.
Does no one ship sea freight any more? I am really in no huge rush, All I am hearing is air fright and pretty wide ranging of prices.
I'm not sure if you wanna ship dip and pack stuff by sea but I'm no expert. Might be some other guys on here with experience with shipping by sea. I would think the humidity would be very high.

I'm no expert but both taxidermist and import brokers have told me to always air ship with dip and pack trophies.

I'm not sure if you wanna ship dip and pack stuff by sea but I'm no expert. Might be some other guys on here with experience with shipping by sea. I would think the humidity would be very high.
I’ve always kept away from ocean freight mainly because of the humidity and there are always unexpected port charges that can add up faster than airline storage fees. I also believe that 3-4 days in transit on airplanes is much safer than 3-4 weeks on a trans-Atlantic ocean crossing in possible extreme seas. My wife’s brother in law had a crate ocean freighted and his crate sat in the port of Houston in a metal shipping container for a week in the August heat and humidity, not sure if they suffered any damage but his end results weren’t very pretty.

I’ve always kept away from ocean freight mainly because of the humidity and there are always unexpected port charges that can add up faster than airline storage fees. I also believe that 3-4 days in transit on airplanes is much safer than 3-4 weeks on a trans-Atlantic ocean crossing in possible extreme seas. My wife’s brother in law had a crate ocean freighted and his crate sat in the port of Houston in a metal shipping container for a week in the August heat and humidity, not sure if they suffered any damage but his end results weren’t very pretty.
I thought about the humidity on ocean freight also, perhaps that's why I do not hear about it being offered any more.
It was just a observation on my part that ocean shipping has seemed to have gone away

What seems to be the shipping rate on getting your trophies back to the States.
I also have some hunts booked in Europe, how are those shipping cost these days?
Please be more specific. 6 PG dip and pack? 10+ buff, all shoulder mounts?

August 2023 - 9 PG Dip and Pack via Air Freight from Joburg to Houston cost me 1665 USD. (Skulls and skins of 2 Wildebeest, 2 Kudu, 2 Impala, Nyala, Blesbok, and a Zebra skin only). Then 1100 USD paid to customs agent to deliver to my taxidermist in Houston. Total = 2775 USD

This week I was notified 2 Chamois shoulder mounts done by a taxidermist in Italy are ready to be shipped. These will need to be cleared by a customs agent but as they are finished products they will come straight to my house. I can update this thread when I know the costs. This will be air freight.

My two cents. Costs of taxidermy these days is just something I force myself to budget into things. Airfare/Hunt/Taxidermy are the three main concepts to me. I value the mounts that much. I am trying to have at least one representative shoulder/pedestal mount of each animal, then switch to euro mounts for further trophies of that animal. Of course it does not always turn out that way, e.g. same animal but from a different country, or such as this past Fall where I was deadset on euromounting a simple Texas whitetail. Then I ended up shooting a buck with a double white patch on his neck (somewhat rare vs. the norm which is one white patch). Had to shoulder mount that one, etc... Cheers

As you can see, prices vary widely.

I received my crate from SA in November 23. 9 euros (buffalo, eland, kudu, Gemsbok, nyala, Impala, Springbok, blue and black wildebeest) springbok and blue wildebeest tanned hides. Airfreight to Atlanta and Coppersmith fees $2700.

some of these prices scare me. I am waiting on crate specs so I can get shipping quotes from the East Cape. 2 warthog euros, 1 buffalo euro, 1 zebra back skin felt lined skin, and zebra, kudu and sable shoulder mounts. a friend just received 12 dip and pack skins and horns from East Cape with African Trophy Exports to JFK for 2000.00

I want to respectfully offer a different opinion. Many have said, basically, that shipping was going to be too much money and now they aren't going to ship anything back and have the memories. My feeling is this: If I am going to pay for airfare, trophy fees, tips, etc... I am definitely going to spend the money to have my trophies shipped back to me. With out them of course you have your memories, but only YOU have your memories. I want to be able to show my family and friends that mythical Kudu while I explain the story to them. I want then to see, and touch, my zebra. I want them to SEE what a Honey Badger actually looks like! Way too much money spent to not have your quarry.
Agreed, one of the most important part for me is having the animal to look back on everyday, touch, look over and admire. Every time I look at them I relive that trip.

Did ocean freight once during Covid when couldn’t get crate on a flight. Seemed like a great price going into it. Actually ended up costing more than air with all the port fees that were tacked on at this end.

Update, Zingela sent me a est $3700, kudu shoulder, Gemsbok shoulder, steenbok full laying down, 7 more euros, the skins and a rug.
I suppose that is the going rate and is what it is.
My next hunt will be a Cape buff and will probably be my last shoulder mount ever. (unless I add on to the house or the shop)
But getting your trophies home are something to consider on your hunt costs.

I received my crate from SA in November 23. 9 euros (buffalo, eland, kudu, Gemsbok, nyala, Impala, Springbok, blue and black wildebeest) springbok and blue wildebeest tanned hides. Airfreight to Atlanta and Coppersmith fees $2700.
who was your shipper?

Hyde Hunter….. used Zingela Forwarders. Good communication every step of the way.

I have a crate coming right now with finished taxidermy. Kudu, sable, wildebeest, warthog, and duiker shoulder mounts with back skins, 2 full-size steenbucks impala euro and zebra flat skin. With crating, fees, and freight it came up to $6100

I have a crate coming right now with finished taxidermy. Kudu, sable, wildebeest, warthog, and duiker shoulder mounts with back skins, 2 full-size steenbucks impala euro and zebra flat skin. With crating, fees, and freight it came up to $6100
what is the size and weight of the crate and who is the shipper?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RobertTup

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.