Ready for Buffalo

Longwalker

AH elite
Joined
Apr 2, 2015
Messages
1,759
Reaction score
6,213
Location
Canada
Media
142
Articles
1
Hunting reports
Africa
5
USA/Canada
4
Member of
Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation, Saskatoon Gun Dog Club
Hunted
Canada, USA, Germany, South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe, Mozambique
I tried out some new loads for my Merkel 140 AE double rifle in .450-400 3" Nitro Express today. Quite pleased that I can use Swift A-frames that shoot to the same point of impact with the same regulation as the Hornady DGX that the rifle was regulated with. We will hunt Mozambique, Coutada 9 in the last two weeks of July. Buffalo and a variety plains game are on the license. All arrangements are complete with Mokore Safaris and the airlines and permits etc. I'm so excited, even though this is my sixth African trip. Can't wait!
These test shots were at 50 M, standing with a rest. I'm satisfied.
IMG_9109.jpg
 
I tried out some new loads for my Merkel 140 AE double rifle in .450-400 3" Nitro Express today. Quite pleased that I can use Swift A-frames that shoot to the same point of impact with the same regulation as the Hornady DGX that the rifle was regulated with. We will hunt Mozambique, Coutada 9 in the last two weeks of July. Buffalo and a variety plains game are on the license. All arrangements are complete with Mokore Safaris and the airlines and permits etc. I'm so excited, even though this is my sixth African trip. Can't wait!
These test shots were at 50 M, standing with a rest. I'm satisfied.
View attachment 604437
You are ready my friend!!! Hope you have a great hunt!!!
 
Very impressive. You should be ready for anything Coutada 9 throws at you. Great conservation story their. Good Luck on your hunt.
 
Unless it is your first buffalo, the last day, and he is at seventy yards in thick cover with two of his dark pals. Is it scoped?
 
Good luck on your hunt, look forward to a trip report!
 
Red Leg, if all goes well this will be my third buffalo. The rifle is equipped with a scope, which I used to shoot that group. 1-4x Karl Kaps with FFP German #1 Reticle. Very good in low light. The iron sights are good too, but my eyes aren't iron sight compatible any more so I also have a Burris reflex sight that I can pop into the Recknagel QD pivot mount on a moments notice. The rifle remains quite well regulated despite the scope being removed. It's a versatile and capable sighting system.
The rifle is not inexperienced, in an odd twist of fate the three animals I've taken with it were all about 80-90M away, a Buffalo in the Caprivi, and a Moose and an Elk back home. All three were about as far as I care to shoot with this rifle off of sticks.
I'm pretty sure the rifle could shoot a group less than half the size of my target example, but that group looks good to me considering how much my reticle was moving on the target.
I might also use the Merkel for some plains game, but have a scoped bolt action 9.3x62 that will be the main choice for hunting plains game, and is more suited to use for longer shots.
 
Last edited:
Looks like you're all set to go. (and am I envious ). Hard to think of a better hunt than what you've booked.
 
Red Leg, if all goes well this will be my third buffalo. The rifle is equipped with a scope, which I used to shoot that group. 1-4x Karl Kaps with FFP German #1 Reticle. Very good in low light. The iron sights are good too, but my eyes aren't iron sight compatible any more so I also have a Burris reflex sight that I can pop into the Recknagel QD pivot mount on a moments notice. The rifle remains quite well regulated despite the scope being removed. It's a versatile and capable sighting system.
The rifle is not inexperienced, in an odd twist of fate the three animals I've taken with it were all about 80-90M away, a Buffalo in the Caprivi, and a Moose and an Elk back home. All three were about as far as I care to shoot with this rifle off of sticks.
I'm pretty sure the rifle could shoot a group less than half the size of my target example, but that group looks good to me considering how much my reticle was moving on the target.
I might also use the Merkel for some plains game, but have a scoped bolt action 9.3x62 that will be the main choice for hunting plains game, and is more suited to use for longer shots.
Got it. Sounds like a great set-up and very similar to my S2. A bit of advice Ross Seyfried passed on to me when using a well regulated rifle like these is to sight-in using the right barrel. The second shot will still be within a MOA or so, while the first takes full advantage of the PB range of a particular chambering.

You will have a great hunt in Moz.
 
I just hunted with those fellas last year in Coutada 9, Makore crew won't disappoint. Keep your side eye open for angry lions, they were kind of a problem when I was there last Oct., probably hasn't changed.

Good luck and Enjoy-
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,383
Messages
1,574,662
Members
170,084
Latest member
gaidragearun1974
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is [redacted] in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
 
Top