RB Rodda 4-bore in Africa

excellent shot with that behemoth, part of me expected the buffalo to get rolled over a few feet from that beast

Great job Cal. I am certainly happy that you were able to take the Rodda hunting and to be able to take such wonderful trophies is all the better. Congrats!

Congratulations Cal! Great trophies and great shooting with that beast of a gun!

Congratulations on a great buffalo @cal papas ! And what a cannon of a rifle…

Thanks, gents, for your kind words. I'm just about over jet lag and this am early I purchased a ticket to go back and have a go at another buffalo; this time with a much more manageable 8-bore by Walter Locke. Stay tuned...

Thanks, gents, for your kind words. I'm just about over jet lag and this am early I purchased a ticket to go back and have a go at another buffalo; this time with a much more manageable 8-bore by Walter Locke. Stay tuned...
You are such a bad ass! Seriously you make it look easy with the 4 bore. I’m still not sure if I want to shoot it, but it didn’t look too bad off the sticks.

God Speed Cal! Can't wait to see the video and read the report:)

Fellas:
Two years ago I purchased a 4-bore double rifle by RB Rodda. As I missed 2020's Africa hunt I thought it was about time to bring the Rodda to Africa for a buffalo hunt this year. Here is my story.

Just returned from an aborted Africa vacation. Spent two weeks in South Africa hunting buffalo and roan antelope at Basie Kuhn’s Haakdoorn Safaris ranch. I was to visit friends in Zimbabwe on July 1 but on June 28 the country went into partial lockdown due to COVID. Land borders were closed, airports open, and limited business openings. So, I changed my ticket and came home July 2. Good thing as on July 1 the lockdown intensified and the only travel permitted were emergency vehicles and delivery of medicine. I made the correct decision. I would hate to be in Zim and not be able to get out.

As to the hunt, I brought along a 4-bore double rifle by RB Rodda which was made in 1885. Weighing 23 pounds it weighs 24 when I drop two cartridges in the chambers. My intended target was buffalo and after a couple of days I saw the buffalo of all buffalo! He was in small herd and it was impossible to stalk them in the open field of dead grass (that was about eight square miles) they were in. (To give you an idea of how big this property is, the perimeter fence is 57 kilometers or 35.5 miles!). The buffalo were slowly grazing in the direction of a distant pan (water hole) so we (Basie and myself) waited in the grass with the hope their direction would not change. We guessed right and they fed almost into us. I stood and took a shot. He ran a bit and a second shot hit him hard. Long story short, I doubt I will shoot another buffalo as big or a perfect: 42 1/2” horn spread and huge bosses of 17 and 18 inches. His headgear was absolutely amazing; the best buffalo I have ever taken. Just look at the skull on the bonnet of Johan’s bakke!

After the buffalo, I wanted to take some plains game as the pressure was off. Impala, wildebeest, and warthog were present and in view but too far away for a shot with my rifle. A roan antelope wandered by and he fell to a single shot at 55 yards. Trophy roan start at 26” and this one was 28 1/4”.

The last day I went for another buffalo and saw two bulls in the grass a mile away. A stalk to 100 yards showed the wider of the two was a bit soft in the boss and too young. His pal was a solid older bull and I set my desires on him. One shot at 85 yards hit him hard and he stumbled back 10 yards or so and fell to my second shot. A fair older bull 37 inches wide. I have this on video and will try to post it here sometime.View attachment 413141View attachment 413140View attachment 413139View attachment 413138View attachment 413137View attachment 413136

After the hunt was over, I visited Johan and Joey Biewenga at Langkloof Game Farm about two hours drive south. On the way to the airport with a young PH, Johan Nel, I displayed my Rodda 4-bore at two outlets of Safari and Outdoor and purchased a pair of Courteney Selous foot wear. Later, I picked up a beautiful rifle rack from Uvami Gun Accessories I ordered several days prior.

Another wonderful trip to Africa even though I didn’t see my beloved Zimbabwe. A detailed article will come out soon in the African Hunting Gazette.

For readers who enjoy ballistics, my load for the Rodda was 120 grains of Blue Dot shotgun powder, a 1/8” over powder wad set to 100 pounds of pressure, several foam or felt spacer wads, topped with a 1400-grain round ball sized to .970” and held securely with a light crimp. Muzzle velocity averaged 1655 feet per second with a muzzle energy of 8516 ft.lbs. and John Taylor KO (knock out) value of 321.
WOW what a rifle. That thing looks like a field cannon! Glad you got out when you did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg