Rangefinding binoculars

I own two of them - 10x42 and 8x56 both the rangefinding HD-B. Both of mine are first editions and I don’t think I’d pay extra for the ability to range products at longer distances. Can’t really see practical benefits. As for the B vs R. I reckon B are worth it. The ballistic calculator uses pressure, temperature and angle as well as rangefinder to calculate the holdover. In addition to being able to use SD cards with your own data they have a number of built in ballistic curves. They give you the distance reading followed by holdover or click adjustment however you prefer. I bought the first pair in Oz where I had to spot game over longer distances, then moved to Europe and as soon as I heard they released an 8x56 version decided to get it as well. I do a fair bit of night boar hunting and extra brightness and wider field of view are handy and do make a difference. Only problem is you can often see game clearly through the binos but not the scope and I use quality scopes, these binos are super bright. Rangefinding and ballistics work well especially if you put in your ballistic data. Picture quality and brightness are fantastic on both. The front lens covers are super flimsy and easy to loose, particularly on 10x42 version - they belong on a $10 product they're that bad! The ones on 8x56 are an improvement but still crap. I dropped one of my binos from a high seat and damaged an eye cup, they were still completely usable but the cracked eye cup was loose and irritating. I've ordered a replacement from an authorised dealer in Warsaw, Poland (5 hour drive from Berlin) and it took about a month to get it in. Cost was about $30 and I replaced it myself - I have two left hands, anyone can do it, takes 15 seconds no tools.

If you're not hunting at night I'd go with the 42mm version to save on size and weight, you'll appreciate it walking all day - 10x for open terrain and 8x for forests and similar areas, they are still bright and are perfectly fine for twilight. At night every extra bit of vision matters and 56mm versions have a definite edge there.

If you buy them it's worth spending few minutes adjusting the oculars to your vision, both sides are independently adjustable. Once you've adjusted them remember the settings, you can't lock it and every time my friends look through them they just have to fiddle with it.

I'm having to revisit this subject as my Leica Geovid 10x42 R (Gen 1) have found a new home.
My PH fell in love with them on day one of our safari and was using them more than a few times over his Vortex Diamondbacks.
Incidentally, he had paid about the same for the Vortex in SA that I paid for the Leica's in the US.
I made a deal with him that the binos would be part of his tip, he was ecstatic to get them.
His boss was upset with him for accepting items instead of $ for his tip, that is until he realized what they were.
Once he did, his boss offered to buy them from my PH...kinda funny.

Anyway, I'm looking at another set of Lecia's all of them the 10x42 variety but there are several versions.
Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 3000 that include a ballistic calculator and go for around $3K.
Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-R 2700 no ballistic calculator but have angle compensation for $2.6K.
Leica Geovid 10x42 HD-B 2200 ballistic calculator and a discontinued item going for $2.1K.

Looking for anyone with experience with some of these.
I use them for hunting and shooting at ranges up to 350 yards on game or maybe 500 or 600 yards on varmints.

Suggestions to another similar product is welcome as well.
Although, I've looked at the Swaro EL Range and don't like the bulge at the bottom of the housing - it's a deal breaker for me.
The bulge has never bothered me because you don’t naturally hold them there. Optical quality is better and no need for repairs as with my Leica binos. Just got my Leicas back from fourth repair and gave them to my son.

The bulge has never bothered me because you don’t naturally hold them there. Optical quality is better and no need for repairs as with my Leica binos. Just got my Leicas back from fourth repair and gave them to my son.
I've heard horror stories about Leica and their customer service and that Swaro is so much better.
This is probably true however, I've never experienced a problem and I had that last set for about 4 years with constant use.
That's not to say that I'm discounting your experiences, I'm not - I just haven't had a problem with Leica so far.
There are two things I like about the Swaro over the Leica and that's the one button on top to range and the edge sharpness.
What I don't like about the Swaro is the number of times I get false range readings vs the Leica.
I've ranged the same object from a tripod with the Swaro and gotten 3 different readings not within 5 yards of each other.
I call this unacceptable on a set of RF binos costing north of $3500.
The Leica may give no reading sometimes, but very rarely a false one.

I'll be looking again at the Swaro EL Range vs the Leica Geovid when the shows roll around again in the Winter.
I may just be eating my words and come home with a set of Swaro's, but we'll see.

Thanks for the info.

I've heard horror stories about Leica and their customer service and that Swaro is so much better.
This is probably true however, I've never experienced a problem and I had that last set for about 4 years with constant use.
That's not to say that I'm discounting your experiences, I'm not - I just haven't had a problem with Leica so far.
There are two things I like about the Swaro over the Leica and that's the one button on top to range and the edge sharpness.
What I don't like about the Swaro is the number of times I get false range readings vs the Leica.
I've ranged the same object from a tripod with the Swaro and gotten 3 different readings not within 5 yards of each other.
I call this unacceptable on a set of RF binos costing north of $3500.
The Leica may give no reading sometimes, but very rarely a false one.

I'll be looking again at the Swaro EL Range vs the Leica Geovid when the shows roll around again in the Winter.
I may just be eating my words and come home with a set of Swaro's, but we'll see.

Thanks for the info.
I am sure you will do well with either. I have heard Leica has improved their products. I have not seen an inaccuracy issue with my Swarovski binos but will investigate and get back to you.

I've been told to get a "B" model by several people, just not sure I really need it.
I have range cards for my rifles, and with the corrected distance for angle should be good.
That said, I could get the "B" and not use it, but still have it available if I want.
I'm just unlikely to be changing out micro-SD cards in the field with my wife and I shooting different rifles.
Having a range card, with corrected range from the binos will be quicker than making sure the right card is installed.

Try a B (Ballistic) model BeeMaa and you will wonder how you could live without it all those years :)

Granted, it does not do anything the ballistic card does not do, but it does it without the card, hence it eliminates one step in the process, AND it also automatically compensates for angle of shot and atmospheric pressure (i.e. altitude too), which the card does not.

Alternatively a 300 yd MPBR also takes care of anything anyone should wish for in a hunting rifle (y)

I do not have the B Geovid, I have the B stand alone ranger finder that does not have a micro card option but has 12 pre-set ballistic curves. Between the 12 curves and the 3 zero options (100, 200 and 300 yd) I find it perfectly acceptable for everything I use it with. For example, I use curve US 1 for the .257 Wby 100 gr TTSX and .300 Wby 165 gr TTSX and curve US 2 for the .340 225 gr TTSX. All sighted at 300 zero. My sons use curve US 3 with a 200 yd zero in their 7 mm Rem Mag 140 gr TTSX. In all cases, out to 500 yd the ballistic software (Shooter) says the point of impact is within 1" of the Leica pre-set curve, which is plenty good enough for me for hunting purposes :whistle:

I understand that the micro card allows you to load your own ballistic curve, but I am not sure I see an actual need in field use. I am personally not capable of distinguishing a 1.5" hold over from a 1" hold over at 325 yd from sticks :whistle:

As to which model to choose, I personally do not see the point of ranging at 3,000 yd for hunting purposes. As stated earlier, I would rather buy a $1,000 Geovid that would range to 1,000 yd, but they do not make it. So I would go $2,000 for 2,000 yd for lack of another option (see post p. 2), but I fail to see the point in a $3,000 Geovid ranging to 3,000 yd for hunting purposes...

Regarding the wife & husbands different ballistic curves, the only option that will NOT result in endless confusion :E Rofl: seems to select calibers and loads to have both rifles shoot the same curve to 300 yd (give or take an inch or so), which is actually a lot simpler than many might think. With good bullets of various weights (I am thinking TTSX) you can really get there easily and there is no plains game that will tell a 10% or even 20% weight difference between TTSX slugs...

I’ve got two Leica binoculars and two scopes, one bought second hand that has since seen well over half a thousand rounds on top of my 375 with no issues. My two pairs of Leica binos function flawlessly but when I damaged (through my fault) a replaceable part it took a month to get that replacement. Leica authorised dealer told me that it’s pretty normal for Leica. That is poor performance in my books. The experience people describe when talking about Swarovski service is in a different league. I haven’t got any experience with Swaro myself yet but I’m fairly sure I’ll get one of their scopes sooner or later - what an excuse to buy another rifle! I need to buy it Honey cause I really need a Swarovski scope!

I’ve got two Leica binoculars and two scopes, one bought second hand that has since seen well over half a thousand rounds on top of my 375 with no issues. My two pairs of Leica binos function flawlessly but when I damaged (through my fault) a replaceable part it took a month to get that replacement. Leica authorised dealer told me that it’s pretty normal for Leica. That is poor performance in my books. The experience people describe when talking about Swarovski service is in a different league. I haven’t got any experience with Swaro myself yet but I’m fairly sure I’ll get one of their scopes sooner or later - what an excuse to buy another rifle! I need to buy it Honey cause I really need a Swarovski scope!
We were talking binos. Rifle scopes are a whole other ball game. Nightforce are the strongest and have replaced Schmidt & Bender with the US snipers. Swarovski scopes are not nearly as durable and I have seen problems with them on dangerous game rifles/calibers.

Anyone try the new(ish) Vortex Fury HD range finding binos? Plus, if you are Active Duty or a Vet you get a very nice discount on them.

I have done guided hunts in some pretty cold weather and the guides used Leica Range Finding binos and they always worked..........

I would look at the Sig BDX system first.

JMHO

I would look at the Sig BDX system first.

JMHO
Yes I have the Sig rangefinder with my personal rifle data loaded in to it and a Nightforce scope. I use the Swarovski binos and rangefinder when guiding.

Yes I have the Sig rangefinder with my personal rifle data loaded in to it and a Nightforce scope. I use the Swarovski binos and rangefinder when guiding.

Sig now does it with binos, the only kicker is you have to have a kestrel to link it to. If you have that you are good to go. Range is 5k yards on reflective targets. 2k on deer, they are about 1k if you shop in the right places.

Sig now does it with binos, the only kicker is you have to have a kestrel to link it to. If you have that you are good to go. Range is 5k yards on reflective targets. 2k on deer, they are about 1k if you shop in the right places.

Just ordered the Sig range finder binos and their Sierra3BDX matching scope in 3.5-10x42. The two pair together from a phone app and the app lets you pretty much set all the parameters for whatever rifle and ammo you are shooting. It will also upload weather data or you can manually set the wind based on observed conditions. You don't really need the phone app outside of that. A buddy of mine has this setup with the standard range finder and loves the combo...anything up to 800 yards/meters is a spot on shot. I went with the binos so I only had to carry one piece of gear instead of two.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/3...aser-rangefinding-binocular-10x-42mm-od-green

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/4...x-42mm-bdx-r1-digital-ballistic-reticle-black

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.23.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.23.33 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 149
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.23.36 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.23.36 PM.png
    564 KB · Views: 137
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.23.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.23.45 PM.png
    838 KB · Views: 150
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.23.46 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-19 at 6.23.46 PM.png
    591.5 KB · Views: 149

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,