Range Time With My Lott

Catahoula

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I picked up a Ruger RSM in 458 Lott from another member here a few months ago. I haven’t been able to spend much time with it but finally got it to the range today. It’s set up with a Leupold Euro 1-4x. I didn’t fire it much but am pleased with the results. The attached target is from the sticks at 75 yards. The center group was Norma factory with 500 grain Woodleigh softs. The two shots on the right we’re from hand loads with Hornady solids. I’ve got some Woodleigh solids on the way. Hopefully they will shoot to the same POI as the softs and tighten the group up a bit. If not, I’m sure some load tweaking will get me there!
IMG_1590.JPG

Cool beans Catl

I'm sure that after you go there with that rifle the natives will be calling you the deadliest creature in Africa.

Nice grouping off the sticks with the softs! Good luck with the solids, I’m sure you will get them close enough to the softs.

(y)

How is your shoulder?

How is your shoulder?

Not bad. However, I’m wondering if that is the reason for the difference with the solids. Those were my last two shots. Maybe it was me. I’ll give it a try again next weekend but will shoot the solids first. It definitely lets you know that you pulled the trigger!

It would be wise to sight it in with a sled/shooting rest of some sort to save your shoulder.
For me, shooting off sticks is for practice and verifying accuracy.

Use a past recoil shield when practicing you won’t need it on real game as you won’t feel the recoil or even notice it.

Yes, that's what Craig Boddington said. He not only doesn't rembember the recoil he doesn't remember much of the next hour either (When the .600 Doubled).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg