R.J. Renner Ruger No.1 Light Safari

Reaction score
The rifle of my dreams us undoubtedly an original turn of the century Farquharson style falling block in .303 British. But, being a young dad on a civil servant salary, that's pretty far out of my means at this stage of life so I settled on a No.1 in .30-06 to scratch that itch but, like anyone will tell you, its just not the same.

I recently found out about RJ Renner's custom No.1s and, lo and behold, he offers a service to convert your existing rifle into the exact style im looking for advertised at a much more manageable $2000.

Anyone have experience with one of these Renner custom builds?

You might find some interesting stuff in this thread. Unsure if there is a reference to Renner.

I had RJ Renner customize a Ruger M77 30-06 rifle for me. I had him do his "Ruger Rigby" package with a couple of modifications. He added a new white bead front sight and barrel band. For the rear sight, he added a rear Rigby style aperture site to the bolt. He shortened the LOP for the stock and added a KickEz red recoil pad, and a couple other custom touches. He did the work in a couple of months and the price was extremely reasonable for a bespoke rifle. I whole heartedly recommend his work! I am considering sending another rifle for him to do his magic on....the question is, which one?!

He does excellent work and the .375 H&H African Stalking Rifle he did for me handles and shoots like a dream! One day he will retire and you will kick yourself if you missed the chance to get your Ruger No. 1 truly optimized into something special.

IMG_4599.jpeg
IMG_4603.jpeg
IMG_4601.jpeg

Thats precisely why I'm thinking of doing this now. Once the old school smiths retire theres nobody to take their place, and the couple that might will charge double.

I really want to have Renner upgrade my No 1 in .275 Rigby. However, I’ve b a m struggling to do so as that rifle is a 0.5 moa shooter. Do any of you had any before and after accuracy comparisons with RJ’s work?

Roger does great work! I have a Ruger #1 in 300 H&H that he did in this same fashion as well as a CZ 550 in 7mm Mauser. Super sexy rifles and worth the money.

Roger does great work! I have a Ruger #1 in 300 H&H that he did in this same fashion as well as a CZ 550 in 7mm Mauser. Super sexy rifles and worth the money.

How do they shoot?

You could rechamber it for 30’06R which uses trimmed 7X65R brass in a 0’06 chamber. At least that’s how I understand it…
It would be a rimmed cartridge then too!

He does excellent work and the .375 H&H African Stalking Rifle he did for me handles and shoots like a dream! One day he will retire and you will kick yourself if you missed the chance to get your Ruger No. 1 truly optimized into something special.

View attachment 588183View attachment 588184View attachment 588185
I need that exact treatment done to my ancient No. 1 B in .270 that accounted for all of my roe deer, red deer, and wild boar during my assignment to Germany for 1974 to 1979 - as in a bunch. That forend, barrel band, and open sights would be perfect. The engraving was done in Ferlach while I was stationed in Germany.

Ruger No. 1 with Austrian engraving

This is my best tricked out No. 1. It is chambered in .300 H&H. English walnut stock and case color by Turnbull. Standing in the corner or in the rack it looks like a Gibbs.
tricked out Ruger No. 1

DSC_0505.JPG

The shadow from the flash threw me off, I thought for sure that was a .577 conversion for a minute. Beautiful rifles!

This is my best tricked out No. 1. It is chambered in .300 H&H. English walnut stock and case color by Turnbull. Standing in the corner or in the rack it looks like a Gibbs.
tricked out Ruger No. 1

View attachment 588300
What rear sight is on yours? The number one most important thing i want to do is ditch the factory rear sight.

Reading the RJ Renner website info, he reshapes the stock to make it more for shooting with iron sights and less so with a scope. Just make sure that's the direction you want to head.

Attachments

• Ruger No.1 & No.3.pdf
    132.4 KB · Views: 19
What rear sight is on yours? The number one most important thing i want to do is ditch the factory rear sight.

I recently purchased a No1 RSI in 243 for a grandson. I then purchased a NECG Ghost Ring sight. Placed it on the rear scope ring groove/base/whatever you call it. I like the sight picture the ghost ring gives, just not sure about the overall look on the rifle. For now, the factory rear sight is still on, as it folds down out of the way.

1708393281199.jpeg

1708393435987.jpeg

I recently purchased a No1 RSI in 243 for a grandson. I then purchased a NECG Ghost Ring sight. Placed it on the rear scope ring groove/base/whatever you call it. I like the sight picture the ghost ring gives, just not sure about the overall look on the rifle. For now, the factory rear sight is still on, as it folds down out of the way.

View attachment 588310
View attachment 588311
I used to have the NECG peep, works well but ruins the lines of the rifle. RJ Renner makes a ghost ring rear peep that has classy lines and fits in the rear sight dovetail. I have one in the above photos.

IMG_4606.jpeg

Year ago he built me a 12 bore muzzle loader that is exceptionally well made.
He has a high attention to detail.

Mr Renner does very good work. I had him do his magic on my Ruger No1, 275 Rigby. It handles like a dream. I load CEB 130 grain Safari Raptors. It shoots 1 to 1.5 inches at 100, sometimes a little better if I pay attention. It's a wonderful rifle!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpattern007

Latest profile posts

Grat wrote on HUNTROMANIA's profile.
Hallo Marius- do you have possibilities for stags in September during the roar? Where are your hunting areas in Romania?
ghay wrote on No Promises's profile.
I'm about ready to pull the trigger on another rifle but would love to see your rifle first, any way you could forward a pic or two?
Thanks,
Gary [redacted]
Heym Express Safari cal .416 Rigby

Finally ready for another unforgettable adventure in Namibia with Arub Safaris.

H2863-L348464314_original.jpg
Unforgettable memories of my first hunting safari with Arub Safaris in Namibia (Khomas Hochland) !!!

Namibia.jpg
Oryx.jpg
Kudu.jpg
ghay wrote on Joel Rouvaldt's profile.
Love your rifle! I'm needing a heavier rifle for Africa. Sold my .375 Dakota Safari several trips ago. Would you have any interest in a trade of some sort involving the custom 338/06 I have listed here on the site ( I have some room on my asking price. I also have a large quantity of the reloading components and new Redding dies as well as a box of A-Square Dead Tough ammo.