Quick Detach Rings

CharlesT

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Just looking for opinions on mounting QD rings.

Is the general consensus to keep both rings pushed forwards on the mounts?

OR

Keep the front ring forward and the rear pushed back,

Or is it another configuration that is most used?

Thanks folks. I hope I haven't opened a can of worms here.

CT

Not sure either, but for me on one rifle the levers are on the right and they face each other. On another rifle, the levers are on the left, and they face each other as well. I don't know if there is a right or wrong answer, IMHO it's more of what works, and looks good. :unsure:

On my two rifles with QDs, the levers are on the left, and they both are positioned at 3 O'clock..

Theres no particular reason I set things up that way... Its just how the turned out (maybe I liked the look of 3 better than 9? or facing each other? It was certainly more of a subconscious decision than a conscious one...)..

Yes! The inertia caused by the weight of the scope and rings will try to make it stay in position as the rifle recoils into the shoulder. Get a head start by mounting the scope rings against the front of the backward traveling scope mounts.

OR

CT
I keep both rings pushed forwards per the installation instructions for my rings. The spring back of your shoulder is not even an order of magnitude as violent as recoil. Both being pushed forward will distribute the load over both lugs during recoil, while the friction from the clamping force will handle the return from your shoulder.

Oops, my bad. I thought you were talking about the levers, I misread your question. I installed the rings in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the mount/rings. I believe this depends on what rings, and rifle you are using. I used Alaskan Arms on my CZ, and they have different instructions for Ruger and CZ rifles.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 10.47.37 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-01 at 10.47.37 AM.png
    653.2 KB · Views: 30
Warne, Talley and Alaska Arms are all top quality QD systems. Differences in lever position or the particular action you are using will be the deciding factors.

Rings and mounts should be pushed forward against a hard stop on the rifle action to prevent them from loosening under the impulse of recoil.

I used Warne QD rings on my CZ550 with 100% return to zero.

My advice is (especially for hard kicking rounds) for the claw mounts, soldered.
Best of the best in my opinion.

I tried one pushed forward and one back on a rifle once, the theory is solid in my mind but it made for a pain when removing and reinstalling the scope, had to fight it every time, went to both rings forward and it was a breeze after that. Just put the scope on, push it forward and set your levers. I’ve never been good at following instructions but turns out they were right. Lol

I have QD rings on several of my rifles. These are Left Hand bolt guns and I like the levers on the RIGHT side - opposite the feeding port and out of the way. Usually I like both levers vertical.

Position on the mount blocks depends to some degree on the scope and where the mounts are positioned. On the Talley and my custom QD mounts there is one position that works properly, which can be complicated by the scope measurements. On my Ruger No. 1 I had to buy a different scope (Leupold v. Swarovski or S&B) to get the eye relief I required - this is peculiar to the Ruger No. 1 rifles. This dictated the ring positioning.

I like the Talley vertically split rings because they can be converted to QD - just add levers, or they can be fixed by swapping the levers for a screw. Either way they return to zero without exception.

Oops, my bad. I thought you were talking about the levers, I misread your question. I installed the rings in accordance with the instructions provided by the manufacturer of the mount/rings. I believe this depends on what rings, and rifle you are using. I used Alaskan Arms on my CZ, and they have different instructions for Ruger and CZ rifles.

Lol.. and I read your post.. and responded in kind (re: levers)...

that's what I get for speed reading and posting before the second cup of coffee in the morning lol..

I have had good success with the Leupold QR series of mounts and rings.

I push both the forward and the back tightly towards the muzzle.

OR

CT

Good question.

I set the rings so they are tight to the front of the mounts as that is the direction of the force upon recoil. (static scope being pushed backwards under recoil)

I have also seen people push both rings outwards so that the front ring is tight to front forward mount, rear ring is tight to rear of back mount.

The best solution is to use rings and bases that are properly designed and made so that it doesn't matter. Recknagel rotary systems, the similar EAW mounts, Suhler claw mounts, and several other European mount systems are the best. The common and readily available QD systems made in the USA almost all have some problems with sloppy tolerances and therefore require the user/gunsmith to ask these sorts of questions. I have been slowly converting to better ( and more expensive! ) mounts, but for those of my rifles that still are equipped Talleys, Weaver-style QD, Warnes, or similar, they must both be pushed forward to keep on/off repeatability high and stress on the scope low.

Actually, I think that the laws of intertia apply here. On firing the rifle moves backward and the inertia of the scope forces it against the front mount lugs, then it is pushed to the rear.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GroverGood

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross