Question on shoes

minellix

Reaction score
First I realize there are different terrains but, overall if you fellows , would point out some of the better boots you have carried into the field. Terrain along with that type Of boot. I am looking at do I need new boots r carry what I got. do you need gore Tex? Go for lighter weight? I would like some great insight from the guys that have put some shoes thru the gammit. Thanks in advance for the info.

On my hunts in the Limpopo of RSA I've more my Tristed X Driving Mocs, they're super comfortable and the leather/rubber soles are very quiet to walk in.

I've since bought some Courteney's that I've wore on quite a few dove hunts, and they're great as well.

Unless you're hunting in the more mountainous regions, don't overthink it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.24.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.24.51 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 49
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.25.03 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.25.03 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 47
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.25.04 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.25.04 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 53
  • Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.25.06 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-07-02 at 10.25.06 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 52
I'll tell you what work/didn't work for me on this safari. I hunted in the East Cape, South Africa, and the terrain where I hunted was mountains with loose rocks and steep walking, and open plain savannas. I took a pair of low boots by Under Armour, they worked perfect in the savannas, but not so good on the loose rocks and steep terrain. I didn't feel like I had a solid grip on the rocks, and the sole was too soft for the type of terrain. I should have taken my lightweight Crispi boots for that. I then went to the Kalahari, and the Under Armour boots worked great in the sandy grassy terrain of the Kalahari Desert.

I also believe that with good boots you need good socks, and I used KUIU Merino Wool socks, and my feet were dry and no blisters or hot spots. Best pair of socks I've used ever.

I hope this helps.

I won’t wear goretex in anything but my mountain boots. I wore Merrel Moab goretex (or their equivalent) in Kenya and my feet sweat to death. Unless it’s colder and I know I will need waterproof, just whatever good, comfy boot you like will work.

oh yeah. Only wool socks.

I wore a $100 pair of Merrels but would change my wool hiking socks between morning and evening hunts. Had no issues and will be elk hunting in these boots in colorado this fall.

For most of my South African and my Zimbabwe hunts I wore a pair of ankle high hiking shoes that I bought in Walmart for $15. They also worked well for me on numerous eastern Montana antelope hunts.

Before I went on my first hunt in Mozambique I asked my outfitter what shoes to bring. He told me low cut Solomons. I wore those shoes on both of my Mozambique hunts and have been wearing them for Montana trail hiking, Montana antelope hunts, and a lot of everyday use.

Oh yeah, ever since high school football in the early '60s I've ONLY worn cotton socks for anything! Even when I was a ski instructor and on the professional ski patrol at Steamboat when we had to ski in -30* temperatures, and when I took my ski boots off on those very cold days, my feet would be steaming. Also, I have worn cotton socks for all of my sheep, moose, goat, elk, and everything else hunting all over the world. In over 60 years of outdoor activities I have never worn or even owned anything but cotton socks. :ROFLMAO:

I’m assuming you are asking this for a first Africa trip? No need for waterproof boots, light and breathable is better. I personally like Merrell Moab hiking shoes (with vents on side) worn with gaiters. The biggest thing I’ve found is many boots designed for US/mountain hunting, the soles are way too soft for Africa and thorns will go though. I’ve pulled many large thorns out with pliers before but never experienced a full pass through to my foot until last September.

Wear whatever you’d wear here in the states for an early season deer hunt.

For most of my South African and my Zimbabwe hunts I wore a pair of ankle high hiking shoes that I bought in Walmart for $15. They also worked well for me on numerous eastern Montana antelope hunts.

Before I went on my first hunt in Mozambique I asked my outfitter what shoes to bring. He told me low cut Solomons. I wore those shoes on both of my Mozambique hunts and have been wearing them for Montana trail hiking, Montana antelope hunts, and a lot of everyday use.

Oh yeah, ever since high school football in the early '60s I've ONLY worn cotton socks for anything! Even when I was a ski instructor and on the professional ski patrol at Steamboat when we had to ski in -30* temperatures, and when I took my ski boots off on those very cold days, my feet would be steaming. Also, I have worn cotton socks for all of my sheep, moose, goat, elk, and everything else hunting all over the world. In over 60 years of outdoor activities I have never worn or even owned anything but cotton socks. :ROFLMAO:

mate, if your feet smelled like mine do after wearing cotton, you’d be looking for an alternative poste haste! Ha!!

Reactions: WAB
After a lot of poking around, I went with Lowa Renegades. I found a like new pair on eBay for 50 bucks. I hunted one of the same areas @PARA45 did and I found them excellent for all of the types of terrain we hunted. I paired them with Merrell cushioned hiker casual socks, which I liked so much I bought a bunch more when I got home.

+2 on don't overthink it. IMO, For hot, dry weather, 100% leather Courteneys are hard to beat. Beware of low cut anythings because of debris. Mid cut whatever boots/shoes with gaiters are better but still need to be comfortable and suitable for hot weather. I live in rubber bottom, leather top pac boots where I live in winter for snow and wet. For summer hot and dry I wear Courteneys 90+% of the time. Wearing them right now- just took this pic.

If you are going to put miles on hunting/tracking, no matter what you wear, be sure they fit and are broken in. Synthetics especially whose with a lot of stiff ankle support don't break in- so you have to have a near perfect fit to begin with. Leather does break in and are by far most comfortable for me for most of Africa in hot weather and when putting on miles.

IMG_3175.JPG

Just depends on terrain. People overthink footwear and they think it has to match their hunting pants.

I was watching a buffalo hunt on YouTube the other day and the PH was wearing a pair of black and white Converse Chucks

I use Courteney’s in Africa and in the US when it’s dry and relatively flat. I use all leather Merrill hikers for mountain hunting. They’re the heavy duty backpack style which I prefer in rocky steep terrain.

Kenetrek Hardscrabble hiking boots for me with Darn Tough socks.
May be overkill for some of Africa but a very well supported foot and ankle is key.
Everyone's foot is different so what fits me well may not fit you. Kenetrek are the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.

Depends on where you are going. I was in stabilized sand and hiking boots. Big Mistake, I should have been barefoot or in Teva's.

As has been mentioned, if you have a pair of boots that you like to wear out in the deer woods you will be just fine.

For my last safari in June I wore a pair of Crispi Colorado's. They are uninsulated and have the Gor-Tex lining. Just so that you don't get confused Gor-Tex is a cloth that allows water to flow one way and not both. Then there is the insulation that about all boot manufactures are using which is Thinsulate. While a Gor-Tex liner says that it is waterproof water can still get in through the areas where it is stitched, both through the thread and the holes that the needles make..

I also like cotton socks. I have worn them forever and have never had any problems with them. I do carry a extra pair with me encase the ones that I am wearing get wet and I try to change them daily.

My wife and I both have Rocky S2V. Important features NOT to get, Gore-Tex, steel toe and insulation. I believe the product code is RCK050. I also wear these daily at work, very comfortable and most of all quiet when stalking.
1656704365298.png

+2 on don't overthink it. IMO, For hot, dry weather, 100% leather Courteneys are hard to beat. Beware of low cut anythings because of debris. Mid cut whatever boots/shoes with gaiters are better but still need to be comfortable and suitable for hot weather. I live in rubber bottom, leather top pac boots where I live in winter for snow and wet. For summer hot and dry I wear Courteneys 90+% of the time. Wearing them right now- just took this pic.

If you are going to put miles on hunting/tracking, no matter what you wear, be sure they fit and are broken in. Synthetics especially whose with a lot of stiff ankle support don't break in- so you have to have a near perfect fit to begin with. Leather does break in and are by far most comfortable for me for most of Africa in hot weather and when putting on miles.

View attachment 474157
One more vote for the Courteneys. Heck, even my South African PH has switched to them. Any model is OK--just make sure the tread is somewhat aggressive. Mine are the model "Safari" (see pic below). Oh, and they look the part. Lady Africa deserves getting dressed for. :cool:

I use mine on rather challenging hikes here in the US too. As @fourfive8 said, don't overthink it. Anything comfortable and well-worn will be OK.

1656705097333.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg