Question on bite in Africa

Tucketed

AH elite
Joined
May 18, 2019
Messages
1,090
Reaction score
1,929
Location
South carolina
Media
27
My friend who was in Zimbabwe and was told this bite was likely a reaction from a snail. Reaction lasted a week. He never felt a bite. Just curious if anyone has an answer to what did this.
F75DA539-EC4C-4FBD-AFF5-CC628D61AF40.jpeg
 
I’m not a dermatologist but that looks more like ringworm. And I’m also not a malacologist, but I wasn’t aware that snails bite.
 
Wow, that sure looks painful!! I hope your buddy heals up quickly!!
 
Bilharzia? It’s spread by snails and I believe can cause some skin reactions (not a doctor)
 
My thoughts are your friend has Bilharzia. Attached photo is similiar in appearance, hope he gets it sorted out.

Acute_schistos_2615addf7111d83624b7a7a5f3466fb3.jpg
 
Last edited by a moderator:
My thoughts are your friend has Bilharzia. Attached photo is similiar in appearance, hope he gets it sorted out.
If yes, he needs a doctor and some anti-parasitics asap
 
Learned something new - never heard of bilharzia - doesn’t sound fun at all.

“A disease caused by infection with freshwater parasitic worms in certain tropical and subtropical countries.
The parasite can be found in subsaharan Africa, the Middle East, Southeast Asia, and the Caribbean. The freshwater becomes contaminated from infected animal or human urine or feces. The parasites penetrate human skin to enter the bloodstream and migrate to the liver, intestines, and other organs.”
 
 
He wasn’t in water, walking in the bush. It sorted out in month and is fine. Three years ago just asking me if I knew.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,277
Messages
1,570,378
Members
168,878
Latest member
ribilmeri1979
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top