Question About Malarone

@IdaRam , he felt as though he was in a bit of a haze. I have little confidence we will ever hunt elephant again.

I had malaria 3 weeks ago, 3 days on coartem and I was fit. Would rather have 3 days of malaria than the terrible side effects I eventually got from Lariam.

@bassasdaindia is right, malarone is the best.
Yikes, sorry to hear it, but glad you're back to "normal" :D
And I was afraid that was going to be the response on the ele.
Let me guess, the nasty side effects you had with Larium involved @Royal27 hunting Duiker with DGX's? These be the things of nightmares! :eek:
 
On a recent trip to Tanzania 5 of us took Malarone. Three had no side effects, one had the weird dreams etc. and one couldn't finish a sentence because they were so confused they forgot what they were trying to say. The two with problems quit taking it. Not a scientific sample, but probably representative of all the Malaria meds and how they work for some people, but not all.
 
There are a number of malarone prescriptions

Suggest you see your gp

Reactions can vary from next to nothing to severe itches - blistering etc

Overall seek medical advice

You really don't want to be in the middle of nowhere with a severe reaction etc
.
Thank you, definitely solid advice @Dr Ray (y)
Before I went on this recent trip, I went to St Lukes Travel Clinic and they were really great. I took Malarone for a few weeks. Didn't really seem to notice anything terrrible while I was taking it, but after stopping I gradually felt better and better. Like coming out of a fog. I'm really not convinced it had anything to do with the malarone, it may have just been a long stretch without much sleep and also a bit of a cold. I'm not going to blame the malarone, but I will be paying attention next time and see if malarone causes me to get "foggy" again.
 
My wife and I used Malarone in 2011 for Zimbabwe and 2016 in Mozambique. Started 1 or 2 days before we left, every day in-country and then 7 or 10 days afterwards. Neither of us had any side effects. Both hunts were later in the season. We used 60 sun block regardless of taking the malarone.
 
@IdaRam, I think the cherp about @Royal27 with blue duiker, DGX combined with Lariam was below the belt. :cry::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
 
Yes, but ya gotta take the shot you have :D
 
@Royal27 , seriously what's new!!!!
 
@Royal27 , seriously what's new!!!!
 
Used Malarone last September, both my brother and noticed slightly more vivid dreaming, but then again we where in Africa for the first time. I will definitely use it again, didn't seem to bother me much.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,267
Messages
1,571,064
Members
169,251
Latest member
EdwardoMee
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt Meister
480-410-1594
azklmsr462@gmail.com

have a great evening
autofire wrote on ThinAirHunter's profile.
I think forum prohibits making reference or giving personal references to PH/Outfitters that don't advertise on this forum.

But you can call me. I would be happy to discuss Cape Buffalo .

Bob 813-310-6992
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
 
Top