Question about historical safari rifle batteries

I've kicked myself several times for not picking up a couple sets of those 1895 Winchesters when they had some left and offered them to life members for $3200. Every now and then a single rifle, not the pair, will show up on GB for $2-$3k.
I hear ya !
I have a fireplace that is just begging to have one sitting over the mantle !

I've kicked myself several times for not picking up a couple sets of those 1895 Winchesters when they had some left and offered them to life members for $3200. Every now and then a single rifle, not the pair, will show up on GB for $2-$3k.
Now you're talking Woodcarver/Ike. I think the .405 is still going to be around for a long time yet, thanks to a President who was a real man, and I say, bring_back_the_pith_helmet_and_puttees.
Thanks for the great photos Ike.
(text corrected - I'm getting confused on the keyboard)

Last edited:
Yep, loaner or renter, but not his own. I am looking too. It might be in the collection of articles compiled by Michael McIntosh and published as Robert Ruark's Africa.

In the meantime I found the part where he talks about the rifle's sears being "tricky" in Use Enough Gun p. 242 and 243. The writing leads us to believe that he used the same rifle (Westley Richards .470) in subsequent safaris after his first safari, because the following hunt takes place in the first hours of the first morning of the first day of this safari, and he obviously already knows this specific rifle well...

View attachment 393671

View attachment 393672

We know from later writing that Ruark bought a Jeffery in .450/400 for his godson, Mark Selby. The rifle had been previously owned by W.D.M. “Karamojo” Bell. Ruark used this rifle on his last safari with Harry Selby, the horse and camel back "Kwaheri Safari", because it was lighter and more adapted to ridding in a saddle scabbard...

View attachment 393674
https://www.americanrifleman.org/articles/2018/2/26/the-kwaheri-safari-part-i

Bob bought this October 30, 1956 along with Bell's 275 and also a Lewis 20 bore for his wife. Interestingly these guns were shipped directly to Nairobi from WR.

He bought his 318 WR in 1951, also from Westley Richards, and in 1953 WR was still hassling him for about 35 pounds yet unpaid.

It's interesting to look at the old photos of truckloads of stuff like heavy canvas tents, crates of gin, a separate truck for personal gear (or oxcart going back earlier where the beasts of burden were probably eaten by lions along the way). Throw in the cooks cleaners servants, guides et al and you had a mobile city. Don't know about you but I like to travel light. If it can't fit on my back, it 'aint going.
Years ,15-18years ago, I was at a fishing lodge in the West of Ireland well known for its famous salmon fishing on the river Moy.
There was a bookcase in the hall with a fantastic collection of books on fishing and hunting. I picked up and browsed several over my weekend there. “Notes on Shikar in the Himalayas “ was IIRC the title of a fascinating book by an officer residing in India. It was a DIY guide.
The weight of tents, how many pounds of sugar, rice, ghee, daal, flour etc. How many porters would be required depending on the duration of Shikar. It was all there for you ! Truly a book I would love to have now in my collection.

Here is a interesting one from Denmark. The original basqule and 1 barrwl set was stolen, so the original owner sold the .470 barrel set.

New owner got the factory to build a new basqule and barrel set. He opted for the .340 Wby as the new barrel together with the .470

I think if i were to have a travel budget it would be

7x57 on a 98 ,Leupold scope , Brenneke ammo

.375 , R93 action.Zeiss scope , Swift ammo

.458 Win or Lott ,on a 98 of some kind, Swift or Woodleigh ammo

Sbs 12 bore ,unknown maker for it until now.

Mark Selby later sold the .400 double rifle,i asked him on Fb ,he said it was good rifle and cartridge but it did not give what the .416 Rigby did,that was what he got then for his us2.

I had three lengthy safaris over the years with Marc Selby and he loved my ancient 416 Rigby, crafted by Griffin & Howe.

That is very experience and memories to have ,Oberndorf action on the G&H rifle you,have ? What a ledger GH have also through the years from their side.

(I tried over here ( Norway ) earlier this year to trade a rifle with dies,ammo,brass and bullets. Yes one store said they would take it in,but couldnt give me cash or anything for it . The rifle i asked if they wanted to trade for from their side was a P17 Enfiekd action .375 , no that they could not do at all they said. )
I had three lengthy safaris over the years with Marc Selby and he loved my ancient 416 Rigby, crafted by Griffin & Howe.

Here is the movie" In the Blood " about Roosevelt safari and his HH Royal .500-450 NE have a starring role in the film.

@PerH
Thank you very much for providing us with this excellent documentary. I just completed watching it today . Mr. Robin Hurt is an exceptionally talented professional hunter . Lebeau Courally ( Belgium’s only surviving bespoke gunmaker today ) actually made a fully bespoke sidelock ejector side by side double rifle in .458 Winchester Magnum for this film .

T
@PerH
Thank you very much for providing us with this excellent documentary. I just completed watching it today . Mr. Robin Hurt is an exceptionally talented professional hunter . Lebeau Courally ( Belgium’s only surviving bespoke gunmaker today ) actually made a fully bespoke sidelock ejector side by side double rifle in .458 Winchester Magnum for this film .
Thanks Professor , funny thing i posted it on Fb some time ago and both mr and mrs Hurt ,Robin and his wife liked it was seen by many and posted around.

Sad thing with RL Wilson a couple of years later with the gun estimate fraud scandal that made him go to jail and which let many collectors wonder if their collections was worth what they claimed to be .

Bit like the wine guy Rudy Kurnawan and his scam that took many for a expensive ride.

My first long safari fifty years ago was 40 days on African hunting grounds,excluding travel. I took an 06, 375, and a 416 Rigby. They worked great. I took plains game large and small and four Cape buffalo. Thirty years or so ago I dropped down to two rifles, they vary depending on what and where I am hunting. Plains game and buff, a 300 WM and a 416 Rigby. Elephant, a 416 and another In 470 Nitro, or 500 Jeffery, or 500 Nitro, or 450 Ackley. My favorite for elephant has been the 450 Ackley. Hunting in jungle in Cameroon or C.A.R. I take just a 416 for everything. Only plains game, no buff, a 300 Mag. If it is a really dicey area I borrow a rifle there and it is always a 375. Just one mans thoughts that have worked all over Africa pretty much annually for fifty years. Kindest Regards
I'm sure you have some stories to tell...

For SA where I live I dont need to fly with rifles so am working up my SA battery.

Brno ZKK 601(pop up peep) 243W springbuck/ blesbuck open plains

Brno Mod 22 spoonhandle 7x57mm small game bushveldt

Brno Zkk600 30-06(no pop up) just bought this one awaiting licence, larger plains game bushveld.

Brno ZKK602(pop up peep) 375 H&H Large plains game and DG cats

Brno ZKK602(pop up peep) 375 H&H want to recut or rebarrel to 404 Jeff for dedicated Buffalo rifle

Brno ZKK602(no pop up) 500 Jeff elephant and wounded buff.

Desperately looking for a Brno ZKK602 300WM(I very foolishly passed on one and when I went back it was gone) or any ZKK602 doner so I can build a 300 H&H for large pg in open areas

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg