Question about Backer rod in large volume cases

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am about to start reloading for my 500 Jeffrey. I understand that some loads with this round require a filler, in particular it seems the 100gr of Varget with a 535gr bullet. Either way I understand a lot of people use foam backer rod as a filler. I picked up some but I want to be sure it is the correct one. This one says do not expose to heat or open flame. I want to make sure I have the correct one because I don't want to melt foam to the inside of the barrel. I don't know if that is even an issue but I'm not trying to screw up this new rifle. I will most likely be using H4350 anyway but I think the varget will work well with the 510 CEB solid and the 475 CEB Raptors since it is a faster powder. With those bullets though I expect to be in the 103-105 grain range. I'm also curious to try RL16 in it. Same burn rate as H4350 but fluffier. It does create a bit more velocity so I drop it down by about 10% from the book charge for H4350. I also ans curious if CFE223 will work. It is a bit slower than varget and is a ball powder. It is very close to BLC-2 amd W 760. I will attach a pic of the backer rod I purchased
20220614_075147_HDR.jpg

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
I used that kind of backer rod in a 577BPE and 500BPE with no problems. You might want to shoot one or two and then use a bore scope to inspect you barrel for deposits. Don't forget to weigh the rod as it is part of the weight of the bullet. in a 500 jeff would just skip the loads that don't fill the case enough and just shoot with the powder that gives you proper load density.

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
I forgot to also say that in the 577 and 500 I eventually settled on a couple squares of toilet paper compressed on top of the powder as my filler.

Huvius

AH member
Reaction score
That is what I use for my nitro for black and reduced loads.
You may want the 5/8" for the 500 Jeff - thats what I used in my 577/500.

Also, I normally twist the backer rod into the case down to the powder and trim even with the mouth letting the bullet compress it as it's being seated.
Just easier that way rather than cutting to a specific length to meet the base of the seated bullet.
Both methods worked with no difference in performance.

93marlin

AH senior member
Reaction score
I've used backer rod and toilet paper in my 500bpe. With the TP it looks like it's snowing in front of the muzzle!
I settled on 1/2 inch backer rod. With my ancient(late 1870's) Pryce double the rifle groups around 2 to 2 1/2 inches at 50yds.

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Excellent. Thanks guys. I appreciate the help. I'm headed to Lowe's now to get lumber to construct a new reloading table and mount up this Rock Chucker. I may indeed skip the ones that don't fill the case, but I have a bunch of varget. I also have a BUNCH of CFE223 which is similar in burn rate to W760 which has listed loads for the 500 Jeff. Also have H4350 and RL 16. I will keep you all posted on the progress.

Aussie_Hunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
I use around 2 grains of open cell foam in my 470 Nitro Express as a filler with RL17 and it's the most accurate load I have worked up.

frog stealer

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa
I use around 2 grains of open cell foam in my 470 Nitro Express as a filler with RL17 and it's the most accurate load I have worked up.
I second open cell foam as well. I've used the same backer rod from Lowes as pictured above (closed cell) without any issues, but I think open cell foam (Kynoch wads) are more consistent. The Kynoch wads are expensive, but in my opinion, they are the best. I bought several hundred dollars worth through Trader Keith, and need to order some more!

Backyardsniper

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I will give trader Kieth a call and order dome of those. I would rather have the right stuff.

michael458

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
I have a good friend that is a very serious double rifle shooter. We did quite a bit of Double Rifle work some years ago. One of those bodies of work dealt with different types of Fillers and how they effected pressures. He is a very big fan of the foam backer rod and wanted to test it against other common fillers. We did so with 470 Nitro and RL 15. Here is what we found;

470%20Nitro%20Filler%20Test-L.jpg

93marlin

AH senior member
Reaction score
I have a good friend that is a very serious double rifle shooter. We did quite a bit of Double Rifle work some years ago. One of those bodies of work dealt with different types of Fillers and how they effected pressures. He is a very big fan of the foam backer rod and wanted to test it against other common fillers. We did so with 470 Nitro and RL 15. Here is what we found;

View attachment 473013
I think I'll keep using foam backer rod!! That's quite a difference..

rdog

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA
Have you thought about using Trail boss powder with out the need to use filler ? i use it in my 303British & 9.3x62 for soft loads there is info on its use on line.

degoins

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Very interesting and shocking at the difference between backer rod and dacron. I've used both and saw no difference in accuracy. The backer rod is much easier to use and now that I see how much less pressure than the dacron, I wont be using the dacron any more. Thanks for sharing that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Davidlub

Latest profile posts

TheSayHeyKid wrote on shark_za's profile.
I have a pile of never fired .35 Rem brass if you are interested. What quantity are you looking for?

Billy
GAME 4 AFRICA SAFARIS wrote on Robharris's profile.
Hi Rob

Trust you are well,
It would be great if I could quote on a safari for you guys.

Please let me know if you are intereted to hunt with Game 4 Africa Safaris. We have many reviews and hunting reports on this forum if you would like to check us out.

Please let me know if you have any questions for me. We are based in the Eastern Cape of South Africa.

Kind Regards
Wik Coetzee
Game 4 Africa Safaris
hunt 65 wrote on cal pappas's profile.
Hey Cal. Would you consider $950 for the Win. Thanks.
Safari Dave wrote on Dhunt713's profile.
For me, last August, the people in the JNB wanted to see a paper document.
What covid passport app is best to use? U.s.a to Johannesburg?