Qatar Airways

Refer post 92 in this thread. From Qatar website. This is for all classes of economy

Flights to/from Africa or Americas2 pieces (23kg/50lb each)2 pieces (23kg/50lb each)2 pieces (23kg/50lb each)
Not for my ticket, only 1 checked bag. Booked through @TRAVEL EXPRESS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I called Lori at the time and she confirmed my tickets were for 1 checked bag.

Checked my e ticket and it said one checked bag. I checked the one bag with the ammo in it and my 50lbs. of gun case. My guess is they don't classify the gun case as a checked bag. Go figure.

Not for my ticket, only 1 checked bag. Booked through Travel Express.

I called Lori at the time and she confirmed my tickets were for 1 checked bag.
I just had this discussion with a fellow from Travel With Guns. The gun case (or bow i presume) should count as one of your two allowed and then you should get another large checked bag. 50 pounds each for coach, 70 each for business or first class.

I assume the 70 pound bags would become a problem on subsequent in country flights?

I really want to take 3 Guns on my next trip. Did that last time and was right at 50 pounds. But this time I want to take a double and a heavy bolt gun so I'm sure it's going over the 50...

I read that Qatar has grounded a significant number of their A380 craft. I am flying with them on Tuesday from DFW and wonder if anyone has had any changes on their itineraries? My Qatar account still says the flight is on time but I have had last minute cancellations in the past. Maybe I am just the nervous type!

From DFW To Doha we flew in an A350-1000. Doha to JNB was an A350-900.

May, all A350 from Dulles -Doha- Johannesburg and back.

May, all A350 from Dulles -Doha- Johannesburg and back.
I was mistaken. It is the a350 that is grounded and that is the plane we are scheduled on. Anyone flown that route in the last 2 days?

Oh crap. I hope they get it sorted out soon.

I was mistaken. It is the a350 that is grounded and that is the plane we are scheduled on. Anyone flown that route in the last 2 days?

Found a press release on this. Qatar has grounded 2 A350-1000 and 11 A350-900s out of their 56 A350 aircraft. Due to fuselage degrading issues. They have reactivated A330 aircraft also to handle flights.

Found a press release on this. Qatar has grounded 2 A350-1000 and 11 A350-900s out of their 56 A350 aircraft. Due to fuselage degrading issues. They have reactivated A330 aircraft also to handle flights.

Thanks for the update. I sure as heck want to get back hunting.

1628383819268.jpeg

They used the wrong type of Elmer's.

Hey everyone. I am leaving for my first safari this upcoming thursday 9/2. I am bringing a rifle. I emailed the special services Qatar email with the documents back on July 12. I received an email back stating:
"Dear Customer,
Thank you for contacting Qatar Airways.
We have forwarded your documents to our airport staff for review.
As a general rule, Qatar Airways will accept firearms and ammunition as checked baggage under the following conditions:
• Upon check in, you must present the documents accrediting the approval of the movement of the firearm from the States of origin, transit (if applicable) and destination.
• You will have to sign the Declaration of Surrender of Firearms upon check in; the weapon must be unloaded. If possible, the weapon should be dismantled and packed inside a suitcase or gun case
• The maximum gross weight of the ammunition must not exceed 5 kg per passenger. The ammunition must be securely packed in a sealed and strong wooden, metal, or fiberboard box and must be packed inside a suitcase with other contents. The suitcase containing the ammunition must not bear an “explosive” label. The weapon or ammunition must not be stowed in the cabin or in any area accessible during the flight
• No guarantee of confirmation or acceptance will be provided until the time of check in as physical inspection of the firearm by Qatar Airways staff at the airport.
Thank you for choosing Qatar Airways,
"

I then sent a follow up email on August 16 to make sure they received everything they needed and that I would be good to go and they sent the same email as above. They did not ask me about weight or ammo weight. Should I be good to go with the response above or do I need to call?

Anyone else leaving DFW to DOh 9/2 at 7 pm?

You got the same reply I did back in June. You should be good to go. Just have extra copies of everything. 4457. SAPS paperwork. Copy of passport. They will have you sign firearms surrender form there.

@txag09

Did you use a travel agent? If so, they can key in codes to the Qatar reservation system that gives Qatar the required heads up. Mine did and advised me of same about two weeks out, prior to my mid July depature.

I suggest you download and fill out the QR Firearms Surrender declaration ahead of time. Less stressful to have it completed and ready to sign when you arrive at check-in. You will need another one for your return flight, btw.

I flew ABQ to DFW on American, and had to retrive and re-check the rifle (only) with Qatar at DFW. American had me remove the locked ammo box from my suitcase so it could be weighed.

After Qatar/DFW finishes with you, they will have you walk your rifle over to TSA so they can do their thing.

It was time consuming, but the Qatar (and American Airlines) people were all great. TSA in Dallas was friendly as well. (I did not have contact with TSA in Albuquerque, but they called my ticket agent with an OK so I could proceed to security.)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg