Puma White Hunter Knife

20260830_203743.jpg
 
I can't say I've ever understood any "hunting knife" that has a blade longer than about 3.5 or maybe 4 inches. Anything longer than that is too bulky and awkward to carry in the field. The Puma White Hunter has a blade of over 6 inches. Too big for a useful hunting knife, too small for a machete. Maybe useful in butchering back at camp?

I will admit that it does look pretty cool in a display case, but I don't see myself buying one.
I all ways thought that a hunting knife stared at 7in I like one a bit longer
The hogs heart is deep in the chest.

3.5-4 are grate skinnning knifes
 
Yes, you can use it to slash. That's usually it's good for.
But what do I need a knife for hunting?
For killing
For skinning
For butchering

After almost 48 years of active hunting and countless butchering of my game, I'd like to offer this observation:
Regarding killing:
It happens occasionally, and unfortunately, I've had to quickly dispatch a number of roedeer with a neck stab. For wounded roadaccidents, wounded animals in town, or those attacked by dogs, a shot was out of the question for safety reasons.
A simple Mora knife for USD 20 is ideal for this purpose in terms of blade shape and perfectly adequate.
View attachment 758956

Someone die hard.
A Puma White Hunter is absolutely unsuitable fot that stab.

With large game like wild boar and red deer, a neck stab is unacceptable; they can still muster forces at the last moment that are beyond your control and can cause serious injury. In such situations, if a shot isn't responsible, you need a sturdy, extremely long knife, preferably double-edged. Our professionals, who go on countless driven hunts for wild boar with their dogs every year, almost always carry such a knife for dispatching game held by the dogs; they rarely use anything else.
View attachment 758957

View attachment 758958

for the chest of bigger game



Skinning and butchering:

Try handing a Puma White Hunter to a butcher who earns his living this way—he'll just laugh at you.
The Puma White Hunter impresses with its aesthetics and the craftsmanship of its time (today's versions are nowhere near what it once was).
Furthermore, I don't believe that the former Rhodesian army, which already struggled with a small budget, equipped its soldiers, regardless of unit, with an expensive knife. There was also an embargo against Rhodesia. These must have been privately owned items.
That knife looks impressive.But honestly, have you ever seen a PH in Africa skin and butcher? I never have, and I've hunted in African countries many times. Often the skinner only had garbage in his hands, and I gave them my knife for it..........


Moreover, during that time, every German hunter would bring a Puma White Hunter this as a tip. Some could have built up a real collection by now.
For me, the Puma White Hunter is like a photo model—gorgeous to look at, but unsuitable for everyday hunting.

Only my 2cent
I like the looks of that long pointy knife/dagger looks about perfect for hogs.

Deer you stab them?
That different from what I am usto
Every one that I have seen finish a downed deer has cut its throat.
 
I don't care for a blade that gets wider as it moves forward. I prefer to wipe a blade from the hilt to the point and if it gets wider it increases the probability of slicing my hand.
 
I all ways thought that a hunting knife stared at 7in I like one a bit longer
The hogs heart is deep in the chest.

3.5-4 are grate skinnning knifes
Okay, if I was going to kill a hog or other animal being stretched by dogs I would want to use a longer knife also. I knew guys in California that did that even though it wss illegal unless they were being taken on a deprecation permit. I never had any interest in doing it.

I did hunt hogs once with a guy that used two border collies to jump and chase the hogs until he could get a shot. It worked but when we spotted a hog laid up in a path of manzanita I had him keep the dogs back on on leash while I stalked in to about 35 yards with my .54 muzzle loader. One shot into the ear hole and through the skull did it. Only pig I ever killed with a front-stuffer, but it was more fun than chasing dogs up and down canyons. A 3 1/2" knife worked fine for gutting and skinning which is the only reason I have for carrying a hunting knife.
 
I owned one after lusting after them for years. Frankly, I found it awkward to actually use. The point is too blunt to get started penetrating a deer's hide, and it will dull cutting hair. I don't want to puncture the guts by plunging it in. The thick portion for driving tent pegs when using the side of the knife--who does that with a knife? Splitting wood with the back edge....ok maybe in a pinch, but again who splits any wood that small. (that's what broken twigs are for) It tries to do too much without doing any of it very well?

I was not impressed with the steel. Hard to sharpen is OK--I have a Lansky that will handle anything. But to not KEEP an edge well after all that trouble...no. I felt like I could lose the whole sharpening just working it on any bone. And they never really upgraded the steel to what you could get on custom knives.

Biggest comment on the WH--I sold it. Do still have a hunter's pal and it is OK but the edge holding could be better. And I have always liked stag handles, so I would still like to have a Jagdmesser, but would it really hold an edge either?
Now, that Puma Ben, with the sure enough better steel, I would really like to find!!!!
 
Okay, if I was going to kill a hog or other animal being stretched by dogs I would want to use a longer knife also. I knew guys in California that did that even though it wss illegal unless they were being taken on a deprecation permit. I never had any interest in doing it.

I did hunt hogs once with a guy that used two border collies to jump and chase the hogs until he could get a shot. It worked but when we spotted a hog laid up in a path of manzanita I had him keep the dogs back on on leash while I stalked in to about 35 yards with my .54 muzzle loader. One shot into the ear hole and through the skull did it. Only pig I ever killed with a front-stuffer, but it was more fun than chasing dogs up and down canyons. A 3 1/2" knife worked fine for gutting and skinning which is the only reason I have for carrying a hunting knife.
Agree most of the time the shorter blad works better for cleaning and possibly cutting up depending on the cuts.
When I hunted with knifes a lot depending on who I was with. They did not want any chance of the dog getting shot in the swamps.
And they would also back in the early 80s cut the boar and tune it back out.
 
I don’t know the modles
But a uncle brought back a set of puma knives from ww2.
One had a 5-6 in blad with a big curve in it.
Kinda like a skinng knife Bowie combo
Round stag handle
And the little knife was like a small kbar type camp knife.
He gave them to my dad. He used the little one a lot when he was a butcher.
Never had much use for the bigger one.
Gave it to my son in law when he was deployed over sea.
I still have a 3 in lock blade folding knife from them around here some where
The lock got lose and when it closed and cost me 8 stitches it got retired
 
Agree most of the time the shorter blad works better for cleaning and possibly cutting up depending on the cuts.
When I hunted with knifes a lot depending on who I was with. They did not want any chance of the dog getting shot in the swamps.
And they would also back in the early 80s cut the boar and tune it back out.
And the dog owners also didn't want their dogs going deaf from gunshots going off too close.
 

I like the looks of that long pointy knife/dagger looks about perfect for hogs.

Deer you stab them?
That different from what I am usto
Every one that I have seen finish a downed deer has cut its throat.
1789910225848.png




Please, cut his throat if it is still alive.
I'll play the final “Halali” for you on my hunting horn at your funeral.
 
View attachment 793686



Please, cut his throat if it is still alive.
I'll play the final “Halali” for you on my hunting horn at your funeral.
Seems like trying to get to the back of the neck would be just as bad.
But I believe something that size I would just shoot.
If I saw that in my deer woods it would call it a elk not a deer
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,570,654
Members
168,922
Latest member
.416
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top