Proposed BATF ban on privately made weapons - Gun Grab Forthcoming

The BATF has proposed regulations to restrict and control 80% finished receivers, but the rules will be an effective seizure of weapons without compensation or due process. The biggest wrinkle in the proposed rules are that everyone that owns a weapon that is not serialized will have 60 days to get an FFL to etch or engrave prescribed serial numbers and will report that info to the BATF. Further, it will require an additional background check.

There are very, very few companies in America that do laser engraving of serial numbers on firearms today. Today, those companies only do such engraving BEFORE the components are finished to the level required to be considered a Firearm. They do this so they are not required to be Federally Licensed Gunsmiths under FFL rules. To become an FFL takes months, sometimes years, and requires the consent of your town's Chief Law Enforcement Officer. The net result is that every citizen with such a gun will have 60 days to find a FFL that does engraving of serial numbers and will have to pay whatever fees are required to get their personally made firearms marked, otherwise they will be required to surrender their weapons.

This is a truly dangerous gun-grab as the legislation will be impossible for most to comply with making the owners Felons or deprived of their property in the process.

It doesn't stop with AR-15s and Glocks my friends, it means every gun custom built by an individual, not for resale, for personal use since 1968 is now subject to seizure if the owner cannot get it engraved by an FFL serial number engraver within 60 days of this rule taking effect. Good luck finding that! Most people that wanted to put their name and a serial number on their guns voluntarily before it was required by law struggled to find anyone to do it within a year and any of those that did so still aren't legal because the serial numbers applied will not be valid under the new rules.

Gun grabbers of the leftists/democrats/marxists never sleep. 2A is a pushover when they can find ways to get around it. You either fight back or you will be persecuted for being a law-abiding gun owner. Get on your Congressional representative's case for starters.

For a more in-depth look at the proposed regulations, I would suggest reading these two posts by the DC law firm of Reeves and Dola LLP. They get into the meat of the proposal and frankly why it needs to be killed.

https://conta.cc/3oFPI93

https://conta.cc/3vWPope

There is a part 3 that hasn't been released yet.

It should be noted that pre-1968 firearms were not required to have serial numbers and, if they did, it was more for inventory control than anything else. Furthermore, even if a firearm used in a crime is traced to the original purchaser, rarely, if ever, is the original purchaser the one involved in a crime. Studies have shown that criminals get their guns through the black market of stolen guns or having someone make a straw purchase on their behalf.

Last edited:
I would encourage members of this board to join Firearms Policy Coalition and Second Amendment Foundation. Their presidents don't fly in chartered jets at members' expense. They do not really lobby. Rather, they just file lawsuits challenging gun laws. Both of them file lawsuits throughout the country challenging various firearm regulations. Neither of them believe in 'reasonable' gun control, like some other well-known gun-rights groups.

Joseph Greentree works for FPC and he has written extensively about the history of firearms regulations in this country. He recently wrote a law review article showing that throughout most of this country's history, self-made firearms were quite common and legal. This is significant because of the recent Bruen decision, which focuses upon text, history, and tradition as the lens through which firearms laws should be analyzed. You can find his work through FPC, a google search of his own name, or looking through SSRN.

I would encourage members of this board to join Firearms Policy Coalition and Second Amendment Foundation. Their presidents don't fly in chartered jets at members' expense. They do not really lobby. Rather, they just file lawsuits challenging gun laws. Both of them file lawsuits throughout the country challenging various firearm regulations. Neither of them believe in 'reasonable' gun control, like some other well-known gun-rights groups.

Joseph Greentree works for FPC and he has written extensively about the history of firearms regulations in this country. He recently wrote a law review article showing that throughout most of this country's history, self-made firearms were quite common and legal. This is significant because of the recent Bruen decision, which focuses upon text, history, and tradition as the lens through which firearms laws should be analyzed. You can find his work through FPC, a google search of his own name, or looking through SSRN.
I know the heads of both organization very well.

Alan Gottlieb of SAF has been in the trenches fighting gun control since the mid-70s. He is still going strong at 75. He did bring in attorney Adam Kraut as Executive Director to start taking some of the load. Adam was formerly the head of legal strategy for FPC. SAF is using Cooper & Kirk quite a bit now. The NRA had used them in the past but with Brewer on board they were thrown to the side. Wayne LaPierre in his paranoia thought they were being disloyal to him.

Brandon Combs of FPC got his start with the CalGuns Foundation fighting California gun laws. His vision was to form a coalition of state gun groups to take on onerous laws. He has expanded FPC exponentially. FPC and SAF quite often will cooperate on lawsuits so that the cost is shared. They tend to be more aggressive on social media and in fundraising.

GOA or Gun Owners of America has in the last couple of years gotten much more active in the legal arena. They are partnering with Grass Roots North Carolina on a lawsuit against the sheriff of Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) who has been sitting on carry permits. They have also exposed a number of internal ATF documents through either FOIA requests or leaks from whistleblowers.

Even though I am an Endowment Life of the NRA, I haven't donated to them since at least 2019. The board is too large, too ineffective, and too much under the thumb of LaPierre. Dissent is ruthlessly suppressed. Their legal fees are now 1/3 of their annual budget or approximately $60 million. If you wanted to destroy a 2A group from the inside, hiring Bill Brewer was the way to do it. He gave money to both Hillary and Beto O'Rourke. He is sucking them dry and has Wayne convinced he is the only one to keep Wayne out of prison. I could go on.

I wish the NRA would let the $5,000,000 plus expenses and clothing allowance Wayne LaPierre go.
I am also an non-donating NRA Endowment member. At least not until Wayne is gone!

I know the heads of both organization very well.

Alan Gottlieb of SAF has been in the trenches fighting gun control since the mid-70s. He is still going strong at 75. He did bring in attorney Adam Kraut as Executive Director to start taking some of the load. Adam was formerly the head of legal strategy for FPC. SAF is using Cooper & Kirk quite a bit now. The NRA had used them in the past but with Brewer on board they were thrown to the side. Wayne LaPierre in his paranoia thought they were being disloyal to him.

Brandon Combs of FPC got his start with the CalGuns Foundation fighting California gun laws. His vision was to form a coalition of state gun groups to take on onerous laws. He has expanded FPC exponentially. FPC and SAF quite often will cooperate on lawsuits so that the cost is shared. They tend to be more aggressive on social media and in fundraising.

GOA or Gun Owners of America has in the last couple of years gotten much more active in the legal arena. They are partnering with Grass Roots North Carolina on a lawsuit against the sheriff of Mecklenburg County (Charlotte) who has been sitting on carry permits. They have also exposed a number of internal ATF documents through either FOIA requests or leaks from whistleblowers.

Even though I am an Endowment Life of the NRA, I haven't donated to them since at least 2019. The board is too large, too ineffective, and too much under the thumb of LaPierre. Dissent is ruthlessly suppressed. Their legal fees are now 1/3 of their annual budget or approximately $60 million. If you wanted to destroy a 2A group from the inside, hiring Bill Brewer was the way to do it. He gave money to both Hillary and Beto O'Rourke. He is sucking them dry and has Wayne convinced he is the only one to keep Wayne out of prison. I could go on.
I would love to work as litigation counsel for FPC. Most of my experience in federal court involves criminal cases but I think fighting the government over gun regs would be a great job. I'd look at Cooper & Kirk but I do not want to move to DC.

I would love to work as litigation counsel for FPC. Most of my experience in federal court involves criminal cases but I think fighting the government over gun regs would be a great job. I'd look at Cooper & Kirk but I do not want to move to DC.
Get in touch with them. I think Cody Wisnewski is now heading their legal strategy. He came over from the Mountain States Legal Foundation.

Some 2A lawyers are in out of the way places. I'm thinking of Stephen Stamboulieh in Madison, MS and Raymond DiGuiseppe in Southport, NC. I have seen cases brought by them well outside their locales.

I think we need to start a movement and this forum would be a great place for it to start. From now on every time my dog goes poo I'm going to box it up and mail it to the atf. Imagine how great it would be if every gun owner in America did that. Every. Time. Just a thought.

Cheers.

Get in touch with them. I think Cody Wisnewski is now heading their legal strategy. He came over from the Mountain States Legal Foundation.

Some 2A lawyers are in out of the way places. I'm thinking of Stephen Stamboulieh in Madison, MS and Raymond DiGuiseppe in Southport, NC. I have seen cases brought by them well outside their locales.
I've been in touch with some of FPC people because I'm currently litigating the constitutionality of some provisions of 18 USC 922(g) post-Bruen. Last time I checked, FPC had plans to hire additional attorneys in the future but I have not see that they have decided to go through with that. I have a job alert through LinkedIn for working with them.
I saw Safari Club was looking for a litigation associate. They wanted someone who knew federal game laws and game laws for the State of Alaska. I sent them a resume and told them I was literally custom-made for that job. I don't know how many Alaska fish and game cases I've done, whether for individuals or guides or businesses. And I have also done a ton of Lacey Act cases in federal court. But I never heard anything, which I thought was odd.
Thanks for the suggestion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
majisman

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross