Proof of Immunizations?

VanderLaan

AH senior member
Joined
Jun 23, 2011
Messages
77
Reaction score
10
Member of
SCI, Quail Forever, NAVHDA
Less than three weeks from my trip to RSA. Someone told me that on their last trip to the RSA they were asked for proof of immunizations by an immigration official (not sure if it was SA or US). Do I need this? Any thoughts or experiences?
 
I just got back (2 weeks ago) from RSA, and we didn't have that issue.
 
No proof of immunizations required for entering RSA from the US.... Can't speak for the rest of Africa, or arriving from a country other than the US.....
 
Thanks for confirming my thoughts. I was suspicious of his statements and figured I should ask now and be prepared.
 
If you transit Dakar, which is an Endemic Yellow Fever area, or any other such country a proof of Yellow Fever vaccination is required.
Even if you never leave the plane.

If you do not have it they can refuse your entry.


The airlines were clueless when I called them.
Home office confirmed the requirement.

I brought my YF card along. It's good for 10 years.
 
Brickburn, you beat me to it ...

it will depend on where you are coming from and what countries you travel or touch down in...

I was quizzed by SA on this this year when i went to Zimbabwe...

If you transit Dakar, which is an Endemic Yellow Fever area, or any other such country a proof of Yellow Fever vaccination is required.
Even if you never leave the plane.

If you do not have it they can refuse your entry.


The airlines were clueless when I called them.
Home office confirmed the requirement.

I brought my YF card along. It's good for 10 years.
 
It was a real surprise to me that I needed to get immunized in the first place.
I never entered the country (Senegal) (pass port control). Hell, I never left my seat on the plane on the re-fueling stop.
Still need the certificate!

So, just because you depart from the USA does not mean you are home free.
Check the rules.
Sometimes they just decide it is enforcement day.
Know your details!!

Brickburn, you beat me to it ...

it will depend on where you are coming from and what countries you travel or touch down in...

I was quizzed by SA on this this year when i went to Zimbabwe...
 
Visited 3 countries in Africa, SA, Zambia, and Botswana. No one asked for anything but my passport. Oh, Botswana asked me to wash my shoe soles of when leaving ZA and entering Bots.:p
 
I'm not doubting Brickburn but this was not the case last month when I flew to RSA with a stopover in Dakar. Like so many other things in Africa, it may just depend on who's on duty and their mood at the time.

As a side note. I did have my YF card with proof of Yellow Fever vaccination along, just in case.

Randy

If you transit Dakar, which is an Endemic Yellow Fever area, or any other such country a proof of Yellow Fever vaccination is required.
Even if you never leave the plane.

If you do not have it they can refuse your entry.


The airlines were clueless when I called them.
Home office confirmed the requirement.

I brought my YF card along. It's good for 10 years.
 
Call the good folks at Vaccines On The Go. Ask for Amy or Jody, they will know and can actually send a nurse right to you if you need something. I don't have the number handy but google search them.
 
I'm not doubting Brickburn but this was not the case last month when I flew to RSA with a stopover in Dakar. Like so many other things in Africa, it may just depend on who's on duty and their mood at the time.

As a side note. I did have my YF card with proof of Yellow Fever vaccination along, just in case.

Randy

As always, depends on who decides to enforce the rules on the day of arrival. After I spend all the money to arrive and go hunting I was not going home or being quarantined.

Here are three sources of information on the subject that repeat the same result.
If you transit through Senegal you need a YFC.
I was not going to argue the fine point that I did not technically transit Senegal but I did cross it's border.
Your choice!


South Africa Department of Health Document from 2011
http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/policy/2011/draft_yellowfever.pdf

Center for Disease Control

Yellow Fever & Malaria Information, by Country - Chapter 3 - 2012 Yellow Book - Travelers' Health - CDC


Western Cape Government Website

WHAT HAPPENS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE THE CERTIFICATE?
If you arrive in South Africa without a valid Yellow Fever Certificate, you will be: refused entry; or
quarantined until their certificate becomes valid
, or for a period of not more that six days;
those with an exemption certificate due to medical reasons may be allowed entry and required to report any fever or other symptoms to the health authorities and be placed under surveillance.
If there is no Port Health Officer at the point where you enter the country, you will be refused entry into South Africa.


YELLOW FEVER REGIONS
The following countries are Yellow Fever regions:



Angola Democratic republic of the Congo Kenya Senegal
Argentina Ecuador Liberia Sierra Leone
Benin Equatorial Guinea Mali Somalia
Bolivia Ethiopia Mauritania Sudan
Brazil French Guyana Niger Suriname
Burkina Faso Gabon Nigeria Togo
Burundi Gambia Panama Trinidad and Tobago
Cameroon Ghana Paraguay Uganda
Central African Republic Guinea Peru United Republic of Tanzania
Chad Guyana Rwanda Venezuela
Colombia Guinea-Bissau Sao Tome and Principe Zambia
Congo
Cote d'lvoire

Yellow Fever Certificates
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,316
Messages
1,572,652
Members
169,599
Latest member
MarquisBig
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

K_P wrote on Buckleyguy12's profile.
Good morning from Montana.

I'm looking at a post from 2018 where you were looking for a lefty Winchester in .375 H&H Magnum. I'm selling mine. My email is kdp59935@gmail.com in the event that you're still searching for a unicorn.

Best,

Kelly Palmer
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top