Project Rifle - Firearms International Corp

Aaron.F

Silver supporter
AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I recently picked up a new project rifle and am looking for some advice and/or opinions on what to do with it. It’s a 30-06 from Firearms International Corporation, from what I understand is a FN manufactured rifle imported into the US. It seems like a really nice rifle with a jeweled bolt and shroud, along with what looks like an original receiver sight. The rifle is not drilled and tapped, but as stated has a receiver sight and a hooded front sight.

I am not sure what I want to do with it, it has some heft to it, it weighs in around 9lbs 4 oz. So, I am thinking of having it rebored and having a new recoil pad installed. But I am not sure specifically what to do.

I am interested in possibly another large bore rifle. However I currently am having a 416 Taylor being completed on an Interarms action, so probably not another 416 Taylor. I am maybe leaning towards a 458 Win Mag, but not sure. I am also getting ready to have 9.3x62 started for me in the semi near future.

Or maybe I should just flip it as is… Let me know what you folks think, I am open to all ideas that do not involve drilling and tapping for a scope.

60F68291-3179-4437-A1D4-CEE6C07A0C27.jpeg
DDE0EE14-63DA-4F69-8DD5-30A50C2299C8.jpeg
D7D9E933-7ECE-46CA-96AB-4C9E1E2B7D89.jpeg
2800409B-1E8C-4698-8FFE-B0CD5B88750B.jpeg
5DC74EB4-0956-4DC5-B39F-C5224213DA63.jpeg
AF8AB316-ABF0-4143-A9D9-60C9E5F4C1BA.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently picked up a new project rifle and am looking for some advice and/or opinions on what to do with it. It’s a 30-06 from Firearms International Corporation, from what I understand is a FN manufactured rifle imported into the US. It seems like a really nice rifle with a jeweled bolt and shroud, along with what looks like an original receiver sight. The rifle is not drilled and tapped, but as stated has a receiver sight and a hooded front sight.

I am not sure what I want to do with it, it has some heft to it, it weighs in around 9lbs 4 oz. So, I am thinking of having it rebored and having a new recoil pad installed. But I am not sure specifically what to do.

I am interested in possibly another large bore rifle. However I currently am having a 416 Taylor being completed on an Interarms action, so probably not another 416 Taylor. I am maybe leaning towards a 458 Win Mag, but not sure. I am also getting ready to have 9.3x62 started for me in the semi near future.

Or maybe I should just flip it as is… Let me know what you folks think, I am open to all ideas that do not involve drilling and tapping for a scope.

View attachment 507145View attachment 507146View attachment 507147View attachment 507148View attachment 507149View attachment 507150
Considering what you already have in the works and don't want to drill and tap for a scope, I think I would go with the .458.

Having your 9.3 built on that action would work great. I have one built on a FN action. The 458 would require the bolt face to be opened up, so I would look for a magnum bolt faced action to just make things easier. If you decide to flip it there are several of us here that I am sure would be interested.

It exudes the look of a classic caliber. Maybe one of the European chamberings, like a 9.3x62.

On further cogitation, I think you should just flip it to me. I've got $6 right here that I haven't even spent yet! And I find myself without a .30-06, which is just flat unAmerican!
Take THAT Leland Stanford.

If no drilling and tapping, you will want it in a caliber and purpose that would be fine without a scope. I vote .458

I would do a 35 Whelen. a 458 mag will require plenty of magazine/rail/feed ramp work. Both the 30 06 and 35 Whelen have a .441 shoulder at 1.948". But you'd still need to check the mag width at the neck. not sure how tight it will be in the factory mag

I vote 9.3x62.

That's a nice rear peep sight. Whose make is it?

CT
I agree it is a very neat peep sight, it is an Armstrong. I do know much about them, but it appears to have quite a few adjustments, of which I have not messed with yet.

I decided to take some of the advice above; I am going to keep it as is and sell it. It will be posted in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
propercapsules

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!