AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
africa-hunting.jpg
Professional Shooting Schools

Below is a list of Professional Shooting Schools.

Safari Shooting School

Sportsman's All-Weather All-Terrain Marksmanship (SAAM)

OSP Shooting School

Last edited by a moderator:
Just returned home from SAAM Safari shooting school. It was 4 full days of instruction from former military snipers well versed in all things gun related. They also operate a game ranch and understand hunting as well. I really learned a lot about myself and my guns at this school. Tim and his staff are the most professional group of people I've been around in a very long time. Great food and fun were on the schedule as well. We worked up to 700 yards in the prone position and did so with medium calibers. Then we moved to big bore first target shooting followed by moving targets. The movers ranged from standard targets to elephant and buffalo charge! The advice and friendships I gained from SAAM will be a valuable and lasting memory for me. I WILL hit my target on my next safari!
You will leave with a range card specifically made for your rifle and cartridges and many other goodies like electronic ear muffs.
I recommend if you are planning a safari and especially if it is an expensive dangerous game safari to take the time and go to SAAM. No matter your skill level you will be a better shot afterwards.

Regards,
Philip

Last edited by a moderator:
Not really but if you have the space and time you could always set up your own course.... It'll cost some money, but you only live once!

UNIT STANDARD TITLE: HANDLE ADVANCED WEAPONS DURING GUIDING

REVIEW DATEThis standard should be reviewed within two years of issue.

PURPOSE

The learner achieving this unit standard in combination with the unit standard "Viewing Dangerous Game" will be able to handle a heavy calibre rifle (.375 or larger) in such a way (with open sights) that a charging dangerous animal will be killed at short distance, should such a situation arise.

This unit standard, combined with other core and elective guiding standards in a national certificate in Tourism (NQF 4) will provide the learner with the competence to practice as a tourist guide on foot as envisaged in the Tourism Amendment Act in areas where dangerous game occurs.

LEARNING ASSUMED TO BE IN PLACE

It is assumed that a learner entering a program leading to this unit standard has completed the unit standard: "Weapon Handling".

SPECIFIC OUTCOMES

Because it is vital that a guide avoids actual charges by dangerous animals at all costs, it is normally impractical to assess this competency in real situations. The outcomes therefore have to be assessed against simulated conditions.

A learner assessed as competent against this standard will be able to:

1. Load, fire and hit the brain of a realistically simulated target animal moving towards the learner at the speed of a running person. The diameter and position of the allowed target area should be such that, had it been a real animal, the animal would have been killed or at least paralysed. The distance at which the shot(s) should hit the target should be less than 15m and more than 0m from the learner. Immediately after shooting, the learner should reload and be ready to fire another shot, e.g. a Coup de Grace. At the start and end of the exercise there should be at least three rounds in the magazine and the rifle should be safe (see comments).
FOR EXAMPLE:
* A "sledge" with a cardboard realistically cut and painted in the form of a charging lioness pulled towards the learner by a person running. The assessor should be completely familiar with the anatomy of the animal and the shot placement needed to hit the brain, and should indicate the brain area afterwards to determine whether the shots reached their target.
* A cardboard cut and painted in the form of a charging elephant pulled along a wire towards the learner by a person running. The assessor should be completely familiar with the anatomy of the animal and the shot placement needed to hit the brain, and should indicate the brain area afterwards to determine whether the shots reached their target.
* The maximum target area for the brain of a lion will be around 7cm, although 13 cm could be accepted for a first shot (as it is likely to have stunned the animal), whereas that of an elephant may be up to 25 cm.
1. Walk through a "bush lane" of sufficient length to accommodate at least six hidden simulated targets (moving or stationary) of at least four of the following dangerous animals: lion, leopard, buffalo, elephant, hippo and rhino, and at least one non-dangerous animal. At least one shot should hit the brain area of simulated dangerous animals, and the bolt should be recycled within a realistic time frame. The diameter and position of the allowed target area should be such that, had it been a real animal, the animal would have been killed or at least paralysed. The non-dangerous animal(s) may not be shot at. After shooting the learner should always ensure that the magazine is fully reloaded and the rifle safe (see comments).
For example:

* The assessor may expect two shots to be fired at elephant or buffalo, but only one at lion or rhino
* The maximum target area for the brain of a lion will be around 7cm, although 13 cm could be accepted for a first shot (as it is likely to have stunned the animal), whereas that of an elephant may be up to 25 cm.
* If one shot is allowed, e.g. for a lion target, the learner should load, shoot and reload in 3 seconds from the time they are expected to see the target.
* If two shots are allowed, e.g. for an elephant target, the learner should load and shoot twice and reload again within 5 seconds from the time they are expected to see the target.

3.Shout or indicate by other means relevant instructions to simulated clients (which could be the assessor) when confronted with the simulated encounters with dangerous animals. These instructions should be consistent with those given during the trail briefing.

For example:

* "Stand still!" and/or "Back-off!" and/or "Get behind the termite mound.

YOU WILL NOT BELIEVE THE DIFFERENCE THESE 6 - 8 excersices make.

-quick target acquisition
-decision making
-comfortably handling and learning how to handle your big bore
-for professional hunters knowing and learning where they're actuall shooting line starts...

And it's fun, BASA (big bore association South Africa) has similar excercises.

My best always

Jaco, that course sounds like a load of fun. Is it part of the TG18?

I think these kind of courses for Bow Hunters would be great too.
Glen

Members, here is a write up/thread regards a shooting course conducted by one of South Africa `s best .
Piet Breedt: Advance shooting course

Good day to all members.
I am interested in attending an advance shooting course, conducted by Piet Breedt. I need at least fifteen (15x) participants to attend this advance shooting course.

The costs of the course is R750 per person attending.

I ordered a rifle shooting sling from Piet Breedt as well, the Accu-Sling a patent item designed by Piet Breedt himself.

Please be so kind to contact me on :godendaal@hotmail.com if you think you will be able to attend this course please let me know .

Here is a link to the Accu-Sling U-Tube video where Piet Breedt explain the adjustment of this sling.

All information will be uploaded to this thread via updates. I will give all feedback when receive from Piet Breedt.

Course Description
Jaggeweer Skiet Tegniek kursus/ Hunting rifle Shooting Technique

§ Die 5 Basiese beginsels van skiet / 5X Basic principles of Rifle shooting
§ Toepassing in die praktyk / Application in practicing
§ Afstand skat / Estimation of shooting distances
§ Lees van wind /Reading/Understanding wind drift
§ Mirage / lugspiëling /Reading/Understanding the concept of Mirage
§ Skiet van ongewone of ongemaklike posisies af / Practice uncommon shooting positions
§ Skiet teen hellings / Shooting at angles/down slopes
§ Jou geweer en teleskoop / Learn about the application and usage of your scope /rifle
§ Die geheim van gonge skiet / Ghong shooting techniques over long distances

Aangebied deur/Conducted by: sewe malige protea veldskiet span kaptein Piet Breedt

Regards

Gert Odendaal

Update:
Members, this is what I can confirm:
Advance shooting course will be hosted at Dwandzani Fire Arms Training Centre , Balmoral, outside Witbank , Mpumalanga,http://www.traininginfirearms.co.za/Aboutus.htm

Dwandzani Fire Arms Training Centre has excellent lecture facilities, shooting ranges with distances up to 900 meters, 600 meters, 140 meters and 100 meters.

Since there are participants coming from the Western Cape and other distant regions they will be able to be accommodated over night, this overnight accommodations will be affordable. I will supply more information in this regard.

Piet Breedt will send me the dates of the weekends he will be able to conduct the course. I will upload these weekend dates when receiving it.

He will bring along Accu-sling rifle slings and demonstrate the adjustment procedures to fit a hunter who purchase such a sling.

Members, I did receive feedback from people who attended a previous course conducted by Piet Breedt , all the feedback is absolutely positive and every one recommended this course to me and every one who contemplating attending it...http://www.**NOT**PERMITTED**.co.za/forums/images/smilies/thumb_up.gif I really would like it very much if we can have a full house attending this course...

Update:
I spoke to Piet Breedt today, he mentioned the following:
No need to bring any books for taking notes. Everyone who attend the course will receive a detailed cd regarding the course to take home .

He will demonstrate the use/adjustment of the Accu-sling, there will be accu-slings available for purchasing.

The course will be conducted in September 2016, he will send me specific dates.

It will give participants who needs to travel far ( Western Cape, Bloemfontein and eastern Cape ) a chance to get their traveling arrangements in order.

The course will be conducted on the Saturday of the weekend, giving the participants a decent chance to get to Dwandzani Training centre.

We will have a braai the Saturday evening after all the activities. Pap and gravy( sheba) will be supplied. Please indicate who wants to receive a "braai pak" for the Saturday braai? We can arrange for a decent "braai-pak" at decent prices. Coffee is on the house. There is ice and liquid refreshments available ...

Overnight accommodation is available for the participants who do not want to travel by night to leave on Sunday morning for home. I will upload the costs for overnight accommodation, no need to book in at a lodge/BB and then you still need to drive to Dwandzani.

The next update will follow...http://www.**NOT**PERMITTED**.co.za/forums/images/smilies/thumb_up.gif

I can be contacted at godendaal@hotmail.com

Cell: :0842062257

Gerhard Landman ( Dwandzani) :0828959731

Piet Breedt : 0825551960

Piet Breedt: Advance Shooting course
Update: Members, the list of attendance is growing, it really is going to be a interesting course, this course will really assist any hunter from a novice to a an extremely knowledgeable hunter. It will enhance your handling of a rifle as well as increasing your shooting skills.The venue is excellently suited for this kind of shooting course. Dwandzani Fire Arm Training Centre really excels in providing service to course participants.
http://www.**NOT**PERMITTED**.co.za/forums/images/smilies/thumb_up.gif
Here is the contact numbers again:

godendaal@hotmail.com

Cell: :0842062257

Gerhard Landman ( Dwandzani) :0828959731

Piet Breedt : 0825551960

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!