Problem with codeshare flight when traveling with a rifle?

Qc_BearHunter

AH veteran
Joined
Jan 10, 2021
Messages
169
Reaction score
384
Media
4
Hunting reports
Africa
1
After being a pissed by British Airways for almost 2 months, my travel agent find me a return flight with Air Canada, operated by Lufthansa.

At this point, everything looked fine. I made my homework and called the airline company well before their deadline. (Flight is schedule on july 8th) to inform them I'll have a rifle as a checked baggage.

Ho surprise, the guy who I talked to told me it's impossible for them to take my rifle because since it's a codeshare flight, they don't offer all theses services.

WTF???????

All this BS is really turning me off on bringing my firearm. I'm about to cry.

Fuck
 
I flew code share with United and SAA last summer with no problems. Good luck!
 
Glad you found someone with a clue. Good luck with your trip
 
Called again Lufthansa this evening. Instead of Maurice, I talked to Dereck.

Everything went fine and I’ll be able to bring back my rifle.
I would say about half of airline staff have no idea what they are doing. They do not know their own rules and are truly incompetent. Code share means little in these cases. What matters is who’s metal are you flying on?

I am sorry for your frustration and the bad info you received.
 
Is that code share Lufthansa all the way back home? Or do you change metal in Frankfort to Air Canada? If so, you might want to get back on the phone and see if they will do the gun transfer. Regular baggage of course is not a problem.

And don’t forget Frankfort requires a permit.
 
The problem with code share partners is that they do not always have firearm transfer agreements, even though they have baggage transfer ect.
I had that problem between Alaska Air and Emerites. I checked in my luggage and gun case in Anchorage and was assured by the AK Air agent that the luggage would all transfer to Emerites in Seattle. I arrived in Seattle and my phone was ringing before I got off the airplane. I had to out through security to the Emerites counter pick up my gun case and recheck it in with Emerites. It all worked out but was a very unexpected pain in the A....
 
My travel agent bought my flight ticket with AC. This particular flight is an AC flight from Johannesburg to Frankfurt operated by Lufthansa. AC told me all the baggages will follow.

Yes there's a transit permit needed in Frankfurt. I made my application a few weeks ago to the customs there but I got no feedback yet.

Sometime we learn by experience. If I do it again, I'll try to transit on the way in and on the way out by the US, but I don't know if it's possible.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,292
Messages
1,571,927
Members
169,468
Latest member
maustonralam1988
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

Andrew62 wrote on JBonw762's profile.
Hello, I asked the question I did simply to bump it to the top for you. I have a 416 Taylor or I would be very interested in it! It's a real beauty!
Gents, if you book and pay your deposit before the end of this year , you can have the bigger cull package for the 2026 price! https://www.africahunting.com/threa...griffiths-safaris-starting-at-us-2-560.96285/
I am currently in Northern Cape scouting a hunting area, we will have lots of amazing hunting opportunities for 2027! I will post updated available dates soon!
Azklmsr wrote on MANKAZANA SAFARIS's profile.
Good Evening. I am very interested in you hunt for the spiral slam. March in 2028 would be fine for me

Couple of quick questions:

1) Can we add some additional species on
2) what do you want for a deposit?
3) how do you want me to sign up

I'm on whats app or email

Kurt [redacted]

have a great evening
MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
 
Top