Preparing for first South African safari

Alot has been covered. Since you are going to SA with good infrastructure, I will not go with the Malaria meds or the sat-phone etc load out.
All I can add:
- 2 copies of passport, import/export forms, insurance coverage, outfitter Invitation...trust me you might need the and cary all documents in your carry on luggage
- Put the outfitter address in the name tag or else the guns could be sent back to SC!
- Declare your gun (Peli Storm) and ammo cases (peli storm iM2050) beforehand with your airline provider
- Take as much ammo as possible. For PG more than for the big game. If you have standard calibers as 308 or 30-06, you can find it in camp, 375H&H or 300WM might already be a odd chance. The rest, forget it. And dont forget, if you do the Zero-in and your scope is broken, you need to use iron sights or the backup scope of the other gun. Take max and leave the ammo to the outfitter on the way back. They apreciate it.
- Semi-auto rifles are not allowed, so no 556 ammo.
- Camouflage can be a problem in some countries and some custom officials (soly arbitrary)
- 2-3 Zip-off pants like Fjalraven Travellers Mt Zip-off. Due to the bushes and thorns I would not go shorts, but it allows you to open the back side for more venitlation.
- 2-3 Craighopper shirts with Noslife
- Gators are not so necessary as people believe.
- Take enough batteries
- Spare USB cables and adapters
- Powerbanks
- Meds and antibiotics if you are fare from Civilization (but do not declare it or else they can take it for themselves). You could get the rocky road, some TP helps.
- A Leatherman Wave: pliers help with repairs on the sights if needed (JHB handlers will manhandle your cases) or to pull a nasty thorn out of your shoe sole.
- If possible, use on both rifles the same scope in case one gets broken (see point above).
- Sun screen if needed.
- It gets on the landrtover cold in the morning, so a fleece jacket and a beanie is needed
- Beverages are normally on the truck
- Hat/ Cap and a bandana
- Backpack for the truck to put all your stuff in (fleece etc). The same you use for carry on
- I like a ammo belt or pouch for tracking, but it is not nessesary though. You might be tracking some PG like Eland or Zs and some time the opportunity arrises for a nother PG animal you wish you ad the spare mag for. Just do not go clinking in the bush with loose ammo in the pocket.
- Concerning taxidermy, I have them eather made with Highveld near JHB. They are really good and will do everything from dip and pack to full taxidermy and export. They are doing for me and the family taxidermy for the last 30+ years reliably.
Some good points here but there is no problem taking a rifle in 5.56 just no semi auto. The camo thing is a legend in my experience and maybe from Congo or Moz or somewhere but not Southern Africa.
I don’t know why anyone would take a sat phone, malaria meds, or buy an expensive medical evacuation policy if hunting on a ranch in South Africa. It’s simply not necessary.
Thanks,
Philip

Yep, I plan to travel very lightly. After many years of traveling the world on fly fishing trips, I've learned not to take too much. I'll wear one pair of pants on the flight, take two additional pair for hunting and a pair of sweatpants to sleep in and lounge about. 2 hunting shirts, a couple of merino wool t-shirts and a warm jacket. I've got an old pair of Russell PH's that have been from Alaska to China, South Africa to Europe. I'll also take some Crocs to wear after the day's hunting is over. You can wear them in the shower and they don't weigh squat. Add in my binoculars, Sony noise-cancelling headphones, my iPhone (which will double as my camera), my .375 H&H and 50-60 rounds of ammo and I should be good. I'll also take my shaving/med kit with Ambien for the flights, Carmex, Nasal moisturizer (the air is pretty dry there), unscented sunscreen, unscented baby wipes (for field use!), Visene, a collapsable water bottle, moleskin for blisters, Band-Aid's, electrical adapters and charging cords, etc.

The outfitter has a gun cleaning kit, paper target to check my scope, etc.
You sound like you’ve done this before! You have it covered. Have a great trip.
PG

Yep, I saw that on my last vacation to SA so I bought a duffle with removable straps. I also bought a TuffPak ammo box that will hold 60 rounds.
You may want to double check with a travel agent or someone in the know because it’s not the straps. It is the fact that duffles tend to roll and won’t go through the system they say.

Some good points here but there is no problem taking a rifle in 5.56 just no semi auto. The camo thing is a legend in my experience and maybe from Congo or Moz or somewhere but not Southern Africa.
I don’t know why anyone would take a sat phone, malaria meds, or buy an expensive medical evacuation policy if hunting on a ranch in South Africa. It’s simply not necessary.
Thanks,
Philip
True for a ranch

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg