Preparing for 1st Safari

@spike.t can clarify this but I think I saw it written on an official state website that simple anti histamine tablets can land you in hot water in Zambia. I don’t remember if it was a state department or may have been the CDC website. This may be out of date though.
HUNT Anything: I believe you and that could be correct - it is still so low on my list of concerns about travel to Africa that it is No concern…my airline crashing, being taken hostage, trampled by Elephant, Mamba bite, malaria, or my Wife finding out what my Safari Cost are ALL more concerning !

I myself work in the healthcare industry and I see that people often underestimate things like vaccinations, insurance, but also independent first aid (be it skills or equipment).
Even the best MedEvac insurance won't help if you don't have mobile signal, a dog with rabies bites you or you're traveling with opioids.

HUNT Anything: I believe you and that could be correct - it is still so low on my list of concerns about travel to Africa that it is No concern…my airline crashing, being taken hostage, trampled by Elephant, Mamba bite, malaria, or my Wife finding out what my Safari Cost are ALL more concerning !
That last one is WAY up on my list of concerns as well!

The main thing here is to make sure that you have a prescription for the regulated drugs that you take. Do not place them into a unmarked bottle or change bottles. If you look at most prescription drugs you will notice on the prescription that the color of the pill is indicated, so don't mix white pills with yellow pills.
I put a bunch of antacids in a ziplock bag last time. That raised some eyebrows at one point but I pointed to my stomach and made a pained face. The inspector got the message and gave thumbs up. The tablets were multicolored fruit flavor so looked more like candy.

I put a bunch of antacids in a ziplock bag last time. That raised some eyebrows at one point but I pointed to my stomach and made a pained face. The inspector got the message and gave thumbs up. The tablets were multicolored fruit flavor so looked more like candy.
So are your recommending where to “Point” if we are questioned about Imodium??

@swashington, I sent you a private message. I hunted the Limpopo area on my first safari, and the are we hunted the terrain was mostly flat. It reminded me of Texas. I had a tick on me, but never got sick. My wife who took naps on the ground, never had any issues with ticks or anything. I am, however, a tick magnet. LOL!

Shots were very close due to the vegetation, and the PH I used love to get as close as he could to the animals we were hunting, and I was fine with that.

Like other have said, take Delta out of Atlanta, straight shot, and you'll be in SA the next evening. I flew Delta out of MIA, into Atlanta, into SA. Easy.

@spike.t can clarify this but I think I saw it written on an official state website that simple anti histamine tablets can land you in hot water in Zambia. I don’t remember if it was a state department or may have been the CDC website. This may be out of date though.

Not sure on that....but tramadol isn't an over the counter drug in UK let alone anywhere I would have thought....you can buy a lot of stuff here over the counter that is prescription in most 1st world countries..but some stuff like tramadol and similar is prescription only...if you travel with any prescription meds have a copy of the prescription....but also check especially gulf state countries what is allowed...some simple over counter headache type tablets will get you locked up....sorry but taking tramadol etc especially in numbers she had is asking for it.....and no prescription to help

OTC antacids don't work for me so I took a small box of baking soda to give me relief.

Trip over was fine but I opened the box up while there and then placed in in a zip lock bag for the trip home. Once I got home and opened up my suitcase everything was covered in baking soda and the zip lock bag was no where to be found. I should of just trashed the box before coming home. My bag still has baking soda in it, I need to get the vacuum out before I go anywhere else with it.

If you're going to hunt Africa for the first time, practice shooting from sticks. This skill, or lack of, is the most important factor regarding a successful hunt. No amount of luggage, binos, shoes, or good attitude can help with marksmanship. Only extensive practice will.
Any hunter on the way overseas for a hunt, is most likely an experienced accomplished marksman. In Africa you'll be shooting from sticks, like it or not. Trying out shooting sticks in the comfort of your home rifle range is not enough. Five or ten shots with a centerfire rifle on borrowed sticks is not enough. It's important to train before the hunt rather than during the hunt. The following has worked both for me, and the hunters I've brought with me...

Obtain some shooting sticks, any type or brand or homemade.

Obtain a .22 rimfire configured as close as possible to your rifle. If you're using a loaner African gun, get a .22 that's bolt action with a 3-9 good quality scope.

Obtain, at a minimum, 500 rounds or rimfire ammo.

Start shooting from the sticks at any variety of targets, near or far. When you've fired ALL the ammo, consider getting more and keep going.

If you're going to hunt Africa for the first time, practice shooting from sticks. This skill, or lack of, is the most important factor regarding a successful hunt. No amount of luggage, binos, shoes, or good attitude can help with marksmanship. Only extensive practice will.
Any hunter on the way overseas for a hunt, is most likely an experienced accomplished marksman. In Africa you'll be shooting from sticks, like it or not. Trying out shooting sticks in the comfort of your home rifle range is not enough. Five or ten shots with a centerfire rifle on borrowed sticks is not enough. It's important to train before the hunt rather than during the hunt. The following has worked both for me, and the hunters I've brought with me...

Obtain a .22 rimfire configured as close as possible to your rifle. If you're using a loaner African gun, get a .22 that's bolt action with a 3-9 good quality scope.

Start shooting from the sticks at any variety of targets, near or far. When you've fired ALL the ammo, consider getting more and keep going.
Sorry, I think way too much fuss is made about shooting sticks. My first trip to Africa and I had never even seen sticks during fifty-some years hunting. By noon of the first I day I flattened four animals in as many shots, including blue wildebeest ... and they are tough buggers. My PH said "Good shooting!" Really? I think anyone should have been able to do the same unless seriously mentally or physically handicapped. The impala was 280 meters. The rest were about a hundred yards. All were standing broadside. It's not rocket science. But then I had a lifetime of experience shooting North American big game and birds offhand.

The thing about sticks, especially quad sticks, they are of limited use for moving shots. I have shot several African animals on the fly but none while on the sticks. And I have missed a couple of shots at moving animals attempted on the sticks. No amount of practice on sticks at paper targets will prepare one for that. If the shooter does a lot of wingshooting or skeet, he will be in better shape for attempting moving shots at big game ... offhand. Most are advised not to attempt it, especially if on the sticks.

Also, I think it would be of very limited use practice shooting on the sticks with an ultralight .22 when the shooter would be using a much heavier and different gun when hunting in Africa. I find dry fire practice with the guns I'll be using in Africa is much more beneficial.

OTC antacids don't work for me so I took a small box of baking soda to give me relief.

Trip over was fine but I opened the box up while there and then placed in in a zip lock bag for the trip home. Once I got home and opened up my suitcase everything was covered in baking soda and the zip lock bag was no where to be found. I should of just trashed the box before coming home. My bag still has baking soda in it, I need to get the vacuum out before I go anywhere else with it.
Baking soda looks like heroine. You were kinda asking for trouble putting it in a baggy.

I HATE HOT FEET I use Keene targhee non insulated,non waterproof . Screw heavy boots. Wear something on plane that could also hunt if needed . Bring slippers and wear on long flight. Have fun.

Baking soda looks like heroine. You were kinda asking for trouble putting it in a baggy.
It was in its original box, with the box in the baggie. But there was still no reason for a inspector or whoever opened my suitcase to just dump it all over and then take the baggie.

I usually travel with some in a old film canister.

It was in its original box, with the box in the baggie. But there was still no reason for a inspector or whoever opened my suitcase to just dump it all over and then take the baggie.

If you have serious indigestion issues (like me), get a prescription for Dexilant. I literally cannot live without it now. Very expensive but it works!

I would also contact your outfitter to see what type of shooting sticks you will be using and practice with that type or bring your own if you are most comfortable with that. My guess is most outfits now use quad sticks of some type.

I would also contact your outfitter to see what type of shooting sticks you will be using and practice with that type or bring your own if you are most comfortable with that. My guess is most outfits now use quad sticks of some type.
Speedster: Agree - “Practice shooting on Sticks” is tried & true and a part of “basic Safari prep” —- and always check for advice from Your PH

Good advice, for some reason I had trouble with the quad sticks, it took me a while to get used to them . As far as practice goes, dry fire practice is good but to me it’s monotonous. I much prefer building muscle memory by shooters, I shoot hundreds of .22 a week mixed in with maybe 20-40 rounds of .416 or 375 a week, if DG is not on the menu I will substitute those rounds with 7mm or .338. Besides good training it’s a hell of a lot more fun with live fire than dry firing.
Of course I can walk out my back door and shoot and not everyone is that fortunate.

But just how often do you loose your checked bag with the rest of your hunting clothing. If you have just one change of clothes you can at least hunt a couple of days while your check bag catches up with you. And I am sure that if you destroy a shirt or a pair of pant there will be something that you can bum from the PH or others in camp.

This isn't like a safari in the early 1900's where you are miles away from anything.

Depending on hunt location, airport layover, there is a chance you can get a change of clothes in a nearby town at a clothing store, gun shop, or military surplus & supply store.

On my second trip we visited a lgs where I ended up by a shirt and a pair shorts to wear to the beach.

Then again I also pack these items in my check bag for any necessary repairs, whatever is left or unused I pass out to the PH, Tracker, skinners, camp staff, and taxidermist. Make space and cut weight in check baggage for souvenirs.

Roll of duct tape
Roll of electrical tape
Multi purpose adhesive
Essential items only leather repair kit
Essential items only sewing kit
10 to 50 feet of 5-50/parachute strength cord

So there are options should someone lose, or temporarily lose their luggage or don't take sufficient clothing or other items to acquire such items.

With my outfitter being close to Grahamstown in the East Cape and we would pass through Grahamstown on our way to and from various hunting concessions I didn't pack any toiletries on my 2nd and 3rd trips. Due to early arrival time we made a stop into Grahamstown to pick up the items I wanted.

But, as you said the box was opened and in a baggie. Reasons enough for it to be checked by customs agents whether foreign and/or domestic.

What's to say the box was dubious to make the customs agents think it was a harmless baking condiment when it was in reality an illegal drug.

I do agree not putting the opened box of baking soda back in the baggie or simply discarding it all together was irresponsible of the agents.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IrwinCook

Latest profile posts

SSG Joe wrote on piratensafaris's profile.
From one newbie to another, Welcome aboard!
BLAAUWKRANTZ safaris wrote on Greylin's profile.
We have just completed a group hunt with guys from North Carolina, please feel free to contact the organizers of the group, Auburn at auburn@opextechnologies.com or Courtney at courtney@opextechnologies.com Please visit our website www.blaauwkrantz.com and email me at zanidixie@gmail.com
Zani
FDP wrote on gearguywb's profile.
Good morning. I'll take all of them actually. Whats the next step? Thanks, Derek
Have a look af our latest post on the biggest roan i ever guided on!

I realize how hard the bug has bit. I’m on the cusp of safari #2 and I’m looking to plan #3 with my 11 year old a year from now while looking at my work schedule for overtime and computing the math of how many shifts are needed….