Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
NRA (Life), Safari Club Intl
Hunted
Namibia, RSA, Canada(Saskatchewan), USA (Michigan, Colorado, Wyoming, Iowa, Nebraska), Texas (Ya'll do realize Texas is a country right)
Dumb question probably.

Wondering if you can safely load 41 Mag Handgun Bullets @ .410 diameter in .416 Brass to make practice loads?

Wanting to make some low recoil practice loads for shooting at 25 yards - 75 yards. Only need to be getting MOPP accuracy (Minute Of a Paper Plate) for what I want to do (Practice shooting offhand at short range for cheap with low recoil)

Will the case grip the smaller .410 bullets? Will the bullets engage the rifling? Does .006 make any difference ? (as long as the bullet is .006 smaller not larger than the bore)

I assume you would use a light charge with some kind of wad/filler between the bullet and powder.

I don’t want to blow myself up but it seems possible. A light charge behind a light bullet would definitely be low cost, low recoil round for practice.

Thanks

Last edited:
Likely too small diameter to work well. Better off finding some cheap .416 jacketed bullets and loading with 60% of max listed charge of H4895. I see Natchez has 300 gr TSX for $56 per 50.
The Hodgdon recommended low recoil load would be approx 50 gr H4895 under the 300 gr TSX. I imagine that would be fairly mild and accurate enough to not be discouraging.

You could also go full house and get into cast bullets but that rabbit hole is deep! :)

Likely too small diameter to work well. Better off finding some cheap .416 jacketed bullets and loading with 60% of max listed charge of H4895. I see Natchez has 300 gr TSX for $56 per 50.
The Hodgdon recommended low recoil load would be approx 50 gr H4895 under the 300 gr TSX. I imagine that would be fairly mild and accurate enough to not be discouraging.

You could also go full house and get into cast bullets but that rabbit hole is deep! :)
Thank you for the feedback and ideas. I appreciate it.

I don't post load data, but email customerservice@ramshot.com and ask for their 5744 loads. Even the zippy loads are low pressure, low recoil. And no, I wouldn't recommend .410. Slug your bore and the reason will be obvious. The TSX are a decent choice, as are the .416 Hot-Cors (which my wife smoked a bear with). With 5744 your gonna get faster pussycat. With H4895 your gonna get a lynx. With full house powders your gonna get the tiger. TinStar and Trailboss are too damn energy deficient (but crazy safe, can't overfill). As fourfive8 said, the cast bullet hole is really, really deep (and rewarding). But, based on the Q... the Hot-Cors w/5744 may be your huckleberry.

Last edited:
I have been shooting 400 gr. lead (PC) bullets powered by AA5744 in my 404J - getting about 1700 fps and zero problems. Nice, low recoil loads and surprisingly accurate.

I shoot gas checked cast bullets out of mine. 1700 fps w/ Mild recoil and alot cheaper for practice. I bought an rcbs mold at same time I picked up rifle probably 20 yrs ago.

You could paper patch the .410 diameter bullets.
True, but then you need to know how to rasp or knurl jacketed bullets, or buy cast bullets. Then, you need the proper type of paper and some bees wax, and you still need to slug the barrel to get the proper fit. Not as trivial as all that. The results can be fantastic however. I get phenomenal velocities and you don't need a gas check. Much easier to get light 416s and then get the proper powder (which is the key anyway). The powder must be one that is either not power dense or can handle much smaller fill ratios.

Last edited:
True, but then you need to know how to rasp or knurl jacketed bullets, or buy cast bullets. Then, you need the proper type of paper and some bees wax, and you still need to slug the barrel to get the proper fit. Not as trivial as all that. The results can be fantastic however. I get phenomenal velocities and you don't need a gas check. Much easier to get light 416s and then get the proper powder (which is the key anyway). The powder must be one that is either not power dense or can handle much smaller fill ratios.

Erasable bond paper works wet it and paper patch, let dry and load. Hard cast also works well, but OP wanted to use the .410 pistol bullets

Erasable bond paper works wet it and paper patch, let dry and load. Hard cast also works well, but OP wanted to use the .410 pistol bullets
I was just asking if it was possible/feasible. I don't have the pistol bullets but I was wondering if I could use them.

It seems that the easiest option is to just buy the cheapest .416 bullets I can find and load to the minimum in the book.

All that's required to paper patch is erasable bond typing paper wet when patching.

Of course a powdered coated hard cast bullet would also work.
But OP asked about using the .410 diameter pistol bullet

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lienminhokvip889

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois