Powder Substitutions

Nevada Mike

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
Arizona, California, Nevada, Washington, Oregon, Idaho, Montana, So. Dakota, No. Dakota, Texas, Colorado, New Mexico, Michigan, Saskatchewan, Old Mexico, British Columbia, Tanzania
In his book, Any Shot You Want (page 274-275) Art Alphin states;

"...Reloder 22 is exactly the same thing as Norma MRP, Reloder 19 is exactly the same thing as Norma 204, Reloder 15 is exactly the same thing as Norma 203. These powders come from exactly the same plant and were made at exactly the same time. The powder from that plant is simply shipped to a different place and put into a different consumer pack."

That was, I expect, true at the time it was written. But is it still true? I know that N203 has been discontinued and replaced with N203B. Still the same?

The only direct substitution I have confirmed, with a call to Hodgdon, is that H414 (disc in 2020) is the same powder as W760. Any load calling for H414 can be made with W760, grain for grain.

Seems like I read about the difference between N203 and N203B as being the granulation. But best way to find out is to contact Norma and ask.

I subscribe to Loaddata.com. It provides the data from many different loading manuals and powder manufacturers sites. This allows easy comparison.

As for those powders being the same, better get confirmation from the current manufacturer. Load data gives me a comparison for specific cartridges, bullets, and powders at a glance or two.

Here is what I got from Norma

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we cannot advise on reloading specs. Also, we here at Norma Precision no longer sell any reloading powders.

Kind regards,

Aaron C.
Customer Service Representative
Normashooting: 912-800-9332

As far as I know, Norma Powders are made by Bofors in Sweden and Alliant Powders in the USA, initially by DuPont.

If you consider the relative velocity as well as the relative pressure of both powders, effectively MRP and Reloder 22 are comparable, but only the two.

Here is what I got from Norma

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your inquiry. Unfortunately, we cannot advise on reloading specs. Also, we here at Norma Precision no longer sell any reloading powders.

Kind regards,

Aaron C.
Customer Service Representative
Normashooting: 912-800-9332
Interesting response considering powder is still sold with their branding; no reference to contacting who is producing said powder.
From some other reading I ran across last night, it doesn't appear that N203 and N203-B are the same; there were references to a different formulation. It also appears that N203 was discontinued some time ago. I found inference to what @grand veneur mentioned, but no documentation other than relative burn rate and such. Same with what was quoted from "Any Shot You Want" by the OP. I would not be inclined to do a direct swap based on that, but it probably justifies working up a new load using one of those powders. Another excuse to go play in the reloading room and on the range!

I believe that Norma Powders are now distributed in the USA by Western Powders Inc. of Miles City, Montana - they were bought by Hodgdon's in 2020.

I am hoping that supply of Norma powders continues in the USA - great stuff.

Screenshot_20220816-213153_Google.jpg

This chart is pretty easy to find it has helped me in the past.

And they don't say how much jump there is from one to the next-it's not lineal

Also remember that different powders react differently in different cartridges, bullet weights, bullet materials, and even cases (more or less volume) and primers.

All good loading manuals state to start at least 10% below the maximum load.
For bottleneck cartridges, once a load is at it's maximum pressure, increasing powder can cause pressure to rise exponentially!

If one works up a load slowly, when the maximum pressure (mean working pressure for that cartridge and load) is approached, velocity increases will taper off for every grain or half grain of additional powder. While although one may not see large increases in velocity, one may unknowingly be developing large increases in pressure.

If one doesn't have the benefit of load data from a known good source, please be careful if substituting powders.

Hi All,
With regards to the question about RL15, yes it is the same as Norma 203--B.

This was discussed in the UK as many USA produced powders were no longer REACH compliant, hence available and alternatives were sought.

Hope that helps.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg