Powder prices increasing?

Very good article Jim! I did know Vista Outdoors owns Alliant powder, Remington (ammo), CCI and Federal. I didn't know about the Russian primers available in mass in the market in 2008. Maybe explains some of the current primer shortage? Thanks!

The current shortage is completely different. You also have several factors.

Primers are over run components from manufacturers. With the demand of ammo, they had no overage of primes.

People could not get the none production ammo, so they start reloading. Components fly off the shelves, that creates even less supply.

The Ukraine was is taxing ammunition supplies

The government not allowing foreign ammo sales from certain countries is also hurting supply (by design).

It is not a simple issue, it is not something that will be fixed soon either IMHO.

Very good article Jim! I did know Vista Outdoors owns Alliant powder, Remington (ammo), CCI and Federal. I didn't know about the Russian primers available in mass in the market in 2008. Maybe explains some of the current primer shortage? Thanks!
I think that the big jump came because of all the new fire enthusiast that showed up during COVID. They were buying anything and everything and stocking up for the next apocalypse. Look at what happened in grocery stores, and a number of stores still haven't recovered from all the panic buying that went on.

The one thing that gets me is that you can buy all the 5.65x55, 223 Rem, 7.62x39, 9mm, and .40 S&W that you want and at bargain prices. I picked up 1000 rounds of 40 S&W this past summer cheaper than I could load it for.

Here is a little read on the shortages:

By the way Mark, I may need to buy that pound of power back that I sold you a couple of years ago.
The pistol and 223/556 ammo, I think, illustrates the principle of supply and demand is still there in that segment, on life support but there. Perhaps that’s partly the reason for the lack is the limited supply. Components are being used there rather than offered for sale. But it doesn’t explain the longtime lack of supply not being met by now. As a business model if hoarders are stripping the shelves as it arrives then good business demands changes to capitalize on that and this has been the standard too long now for something else not suppressing it.

If you can’t import it you can’t sell it…… cutting the supply chain between countries the present administration of ass clowns doesn’t like makes it difficult to do business with….

How about primers?
Sporadic, periodically one category or another becomes available. At one point just one of the importers had a backlog of orders exceeding 15,000,000.

There is a domestic supply capability, but current demand (the government is supplying “military aid” to Ukraine) means that if they are making it, we won’t be getting any for quite a while.

Powder will likely be the same.

I visited my Sportsmans club this morning for getting my annual membership card (no interest in shooting at 7 degrees F and a fair breeze). Here's what was available and prices below.
20240114_101733.jpg

Hey Bob, be careful. Those OFV primers are Indian military. I wouldn't use them in any of my rifles.. Unfortunately, there are some unscrupulous operators out for a quick buck at the expense of desperate shooters. The bastards are scouring the world for garbage components which they then sell at over the top prices. Buyer Beware

Hey Bob, be careful. Those OFV primers are Indian military. I wouldn't use them in any of my rifles.. Unfortunately, there are some unscrupulous operators out for a quick buck at the expense of desperate shooters. The bastards are scouring the world for garbage components which they then sell at over the top prices. Buyer Beware
@Hunter4752001
I have 5,000 LR primers so should do my son and my self a while. Plus around 200 loaded Whelen, 300 loaded 25s and around 400 loaded 308 so fine fore a bit.
These are what are advertised, are they the ones you are talking about.
Bob
Screenshot_20240118-084758_Gmail.jpg

Those #34 primers, if made by CCI or to same specs, are a very consistent, high quality large rifle primer that can be used for either standard or magnum cartridges. Usually recommended for semi auto rifle use to help prevent slam fires. I have built up a large supply and now use them exclusively for all my large rifle and magnum large rifle loading. The CCI version has silver colored cup and yellow compound. If made by or deceivingly repackaged by a third party to look like a legit #34 for purposes of a quick buck then who knows?

IMG_5262.JPG

IMG_5263.jpg

Last edited:
Prices continue to go up because the few manufacturers have discovered that there is price in-elasticity for reloading components. Raising prices has little or no impact on sales. Only a fool would fail to keep on increasing prices under these conditions. I predict that this will continue until enough customers are forced out of the market so as to have an effect on demand for powder and components.
At the local level, we are seeing a sharp reduction in the number of users at a local shooting range.

Just got an email from Powder Valley this morning about upcoming powder price increases. Whether its true, or a marketing ploy, I'm sure others will follow suit.
What's your opinion? I'm personally not surprised considering the current economic state.
View attachment 579972
The greatest price hike comes from powders produced in Australia for Hodgdon. The past three years didn't have to happen... the virus release, the lockdowns, the loss of businesses, the damage to savings.....

Prices continue to go up because the few manufacturers have discovered that there is price in-elasticity for reloading components. Raising prices has little or no impact on sales. Only a fool would fail to keep on increasing prices under these conditions. I predict that this will continue until enough customers are forced out of the market so as to have an effect on demand for powder and components.
At the local level, we are seeing a sharp reduction in the number of users at a local shooting range.
@rblum
We are seeing a decrease in attendance at our local range due to a virtual zero availability of primers. You can have all the powder in the world but if you can't make it go bang it don't matter.
Bob

Grafs has Fiochi LP and SR in 12k packs in stock. Works out to $0.077/ea and $0.069/ea respectively with their $12.95 flat rate shipping and a $25 hazmat (think that's what they charge for hazmat). That's as good a price as I've seen in recent times. I have not used Fiochi brand myself, but if I were in need of either of those types, I'd be ordering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NiamhEngla

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.