Posting photos of dead wild animals could be illegal soon

Alabama.... and agree with Royal, the only interference one will encounter here regarding legal activity is from other ignorant or misguided citizens. As far as free speech goes, we do in fact have it, certainly more so than other country on earth, its a Constitutional guarantee, enumerated in the Bill of Rights. And please don't anyone say, "you cant yell fire in a movie theater". Of course I can. There may be consequences for it, but I can sure say it! And so called "hate" speech that seems to have become a hot button issue here in the last 10 or so years, is protected speech. It may take time to wend its way thru the courts, but that is exactly the kind of speech that is meant to be protected, and it is. What would be the need for Freedom of speech if no one ever said anything disagreeable?o_O:eek::eek:

By the way, beautiful eland and a very good photo!

Seriously, I think I can be in favour of CBL hunting, while also being against canned hunting!
Absolutely! And I am right there with you brother!

F1 or Wimbledon?

I find it some what surprising that some would not hunt Namibia because the license comes with the requirement of no posting dead animal photos.
I may be mistaken, but aren’t you an attorney? I think you understand why some might feel this way.

Namibia will not might find the numbers of hunters dropping off dramatically.
I will certainly re-consider.
I do concede that we don’t want blood strewn dead animals all over the media either but posting in hunting magazines or in this forum I believe, is different.
Hunters need to be very aware of posting what I call bad publicity photos though.

Yes I have a law license, but I currently don’t practice. I have a government job now that I hope to keep for the next four years. But for myself I don’t need a restriction to keep me from posting dead animal photos to Facebook, Twitter, etc. I have posted here, but if the license said no posting that’s ok with me.

For me it’s the total experience hunting, and not the posting of the dead animals. If it’s really about hunting or conservation, the photos don’t matter. If it’s about who has the biggest, then of course photos matter.

I suspect that Namibia will not lose many, if any hunters.

@IdaRam tried to quote your post, but have been having technical issues for the past few days.

Yes I have a law license, but I currently don’t practice. I have a government job now that I hope to keep for the next four years. But for myself I don’t need a restriction to keep me from posting dead animal photos to Facebook, Twitter, etc. I have posted here, but if the license said no posting that’s ok with me.

For me it’s the total experience hunting, and not the posting of the dead animals. If it’s really about hunting or conservation, the photos don’t matter. If it’s about who has the biggest, then of course photos matter.

I suspect that Namibia will not lose many, if any hunters.

@IdaRam tried to quote your post, but have been having technical issues for the past few days.
Much the same for me regarding posting of pics. I post some of my photos here on AH, but I’ve never posted a photo to any other social media. And while I share many of the same feelings as you, for me it is not really about the photos at all. It is about the much larger picture. I won’t rehash all of the many concerns as they have been covered here already, but the photos themselves or bragging rights is really the least of my concern.
And yes, it is sad but true that some people care more about the recognition for their trophy than the experience of the hunt or the conservation aspect.
I think we agree on most points, but I do disagree when it comes to Namibia losing hunters. I hope that doesn’t happen! I want nothing but the best for Namibia and hunting/conservation. I do fear that this path is going to yield a very negative result across the board. If Namibia loses, we all lose. That is why I have spoken out against MET & NAPHA. I believe MET and NAPHA’s actions are detrimental to us all. That is the reason for my opposition to this path.

I think many valid points have been made on both sides of the issue, but what I don't see is a real solution to the problem! Hunters are losing the battle and I'm afraid it will continue! I hope I'm wrong!

I think it is a good idea not to post pictures of dead animals on FB, but on hunting related sites it seems ridiculous. It seems like it would be pretty easy to get around the restriction though by just posting a link to photos or else sending the photo links to another member who could embed them in a post for you.

I know two who will not be going to Namibia on any hunts if this become law. we are right now planning our next hunt for next may-june and it looks like it will be south Africa.

DSCN9658 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand the request as there has been a change in strategy by the 'antis' . The new approach is to apply pressure to identify the hunter and target the hunter as an individual with the hope of a result as was seen with Cecil the lion where the hunter has their personal life adversely affected. Unfortunately certain information can be requested and the authorities are legally required to provide the information. By minimizing the information available, the ability of the anti's to persue this strategy is limited.

While I appreciate most hunters would not be intimidated by this sort of threat, the authorities dealing with issuing of hunting permits come under immense pressure. Minimizing the information on social media makes takes some pressure the authorities. Certainly share your photos, but make sure they are not available to parties in the anti hunting fraternity.

I have posted pictures on facebook but only my friends can see them I think. I have to say I haven't did it for awhile and probably wont do it as even among my friends that hunt I notice I received very few likes

ok I read some the posts on this thread , ive been away for a while , andt rying to catch up,while the vsat lets me
but I do have an opinion
if the trophy photo is done in complete and utter respect to the animal taken , go for it
if others don't like it, don't look at it.
if the antis crack the shits , you can always just laugh …...ha ha ha ha
I believe respect the quarry you hunt /take
enjoy the fruits of your hunts
and if you want to take and image of them fruits ….do it
if you post a photo of it on social media, and someone doesn't like it
respectfully ask them not to look at it.
if they keep looking at it and want make some waves in your pool about it
you can always do what I do ….; and just laugh
if they try to ruin your life / business over it, threaten your family ,or whatever their up to now ……
all I can say to that is ….ha ha ha ha ha ,who in their right mind would listen to someone like that.
everyone has their opinion , and their right to be themselves
if I disagree with your opinion , would I stand out the front of your shop and make an ass of myself????
no I wouldn't.

Personal Update: I have one Friend hunting in Namibia now and three PH’s I follow on Face Book including the guide I’m booked with. They were all posting photos of kills for up to two days after the Memo was posted. Since then nothing. Up until now two of the PH I follow in Namibia posted almost daily.

The NAPHA has never failed to reply to any of my questions over the last 2 years and usually within 24 hours…I have yet to receive a reply from them on this issue… Intresting?

I’ve been all around the world in my life. Lived for 6 years in West Germany. Been deployed to Grenada, Panama, Iraq and Afghanistan. I understand better then most and been briefed by JAG Lawyers and State Dept. Officials…My Rights under the U.S. Constitution do not follow me when I leave the USA. However any laws I break can follow me back home depending on the circumstances.

I’m going to hunt a Leopard in Namibia in June 2019…. All I ask is to know what the Rules and Laws are that I need to follow. It’s the Uncertainty that worries me and that’s what keeps many hunters from never risking Africa in the first Place.

I’m still not sure that the U.S. Fish and game will issue me a permit to bring my leopard home? Now I don’t know if I can even share the photos of my adventure???

This debate has been going on in Europe for many years. In the mid 90´s I was hunting in Finland with a group of guns/hunting writers.

The manager of the German magazine Wild & Hund, asked me why there were so many photos of dead animals in Spanish hunting magazines, to which I replied, well that´s what we do after all, we do kill animals, and our reader want to see the trophies. He said that his readers would not accept that.

I am definitely in favor of showing trophy photos, but also insist that they have to be respectful to the animal (no clowning around it), and no blood or gaping wounds.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 8.51.19 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 8.51.19 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 86
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 8.51.21 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 8.51.21 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 101
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 8.51.22 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 8.51.22 AM.png
    861 KB · Views: 117
  • Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 8.51.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 8.51.25 AM.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 86
I know two who will not be going to Namibia on any hunts if this become law. we are right now planning our next hunt for next may-june and it looks like it will be south Africa.

View attachment 237185
Well within your rights.

Of course, South Africa means fences, while those are far less common in Namibia. You can find no fence safaris in South Africa but they tend to be very expensive. But if you’re happy with what might be a less “wild” experience, go for it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.