Possible to reangle a mounts head

davetexas

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
I've got a bushbuck that looks great however it needs to have the he dangled down. It would look great at 8 foot but I have it at 13 foot and it is looking straight out. Could a taxidermist fix the angle? How about an ear. They have one ear angled back but I would like it to be forward. Thanks!

Very interesting question. That will be good to know!

Form would have to be altered for sure and I think whether the Cape once mounted could be fitted to the new or altered form depends upon the method used on it in the first place? It might require a new cape to do so?

Exactly royal27. It can be done but You might have to get another cape.

Generally speaking yes. The ears are certainly the easiest to fix. The head angle on the other hand is more complex. Assuming it was a wet tanned mount then it can be re-hydrated and either remounted on a different form with the head position where you want it (I would prefer to do it this way as it's less work and saves you labor charges) or... re-hydrated and the angle of the head changed on the existing form and remounted. Either way to change the head your looking at the cost to completely remount the animal plus any additional labor/materials. The ears are easy though and not that big of a deal.

Or for a cheaper alternative, put a wedge spacer on the back and angle the whole mount down a tad. That might be just enough to get what you want. Moving the ear is doable but will take a professional taxi to do- no easy home remedies

I wouldn't do the ear...fix it all....new mount . Itwould be about the same trouble and time as a new mount and you ALWAYS HAVE RISK of loosing it if the skin is older than 1 year and could tear. Then you have to pay for the time to try to fix it and have no mount. I have bushbuck capes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
goldpatnners

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,