Possible to reangle a mounts head

Discussion in 'Taxidermy' started by davetexas, Jun 24, 2017.

1. davetexas

davetexas AH Member

Video/Photo:
    I've got a bushbuck that looks great however it needs to have the he dangled down. It would look great at 8 foot but I have it at 13 foot and it is looking straight out. Could a taxidermist fix the angle? How about an ear. They have one ear angled back but I would like it to be forward. Thanks!

2. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    Very interesting question. That will be good to know!

3. Royal27

Royal27 AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
    Form would have to be altered for sure and I think whether the Cape once mounted could be fitted to the new or altered form depends upon the method used on it in the first place? It might require a new cape to do so?

Britt Beck likes this.

4. Britt Beck

Britt Beck AH Enthusiast

Member of:
    SCI. NRA. RMEF.
    Hunted:
    USA CO OK NEB KS
    Exactly royal27. It can be done but You might have to get another cape.

5. gizmo

gizmo AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2015 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member, DSC Life Member, SCI Life Member, Exotic Wildlife Association, Texas Taxidermy Association Life Member, National Taxidermy Association, TTHA,DUCKS UNLIMITED
    Hunted:
    Romania, South Africa- Kalahari , Eastern Cape, USA, Fished Brazil, Mexico, USA
    Generally speaking yes. The ears are certainly the easiest to fix. The head angle on the other hand is more complex. Assuming it was a wet tanned mount then it can be re-hydrated and either remounted on a different form with the head position where you want it (I would prefer to do it this way as it's less work and saves you labor charges) or... re-hydrated and the angle of the head changed on the existing form and remounted. Either way to change the head your looking at the cost to completely remount the animal plus any additional labor/materials. The ears are easy though and not that big of a deal.

6. buck wild

buck wild AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI Brush Country Chapter
    Hunted:
    Kalahari; Limpopo; Mexico; Texas
    Or for a cheaper alternative, put a wedge spacer on the back and angle the whole mount down a tad. That might be just enough to get what you want. Moving the ear is doable but will take a professional taxi to do- no easy home remedies

gizmo likes this.

7. The Artistry of Wildlife

The Artistry of Wildlife SPONSOR Since 2014 AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Zimbabwe,Botswana,Tajikastan, Mozambique, Zsmbia, South Africa, Canada, England, Kyrgyzstan
    I wouldn't do the ear...fix it all....new mount . Itwould be about the same trouble and time as a new mount and you ALWAYS HAVE RISK of loosing it if the skin is older than 1 year and could tear. Then you have to pay for the time to try to fix it and have no mount. I have bushbuck capes

8. davetexas

davetexas AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Thank you all for the input!