Possible 404 Jeffery Project

Witold
That is a fine looking rifle, one that anyone shold be proud to own.

I have the M70 in hand and am headed to my smith's today to sort out the project; sourcing for the barrel and sights (will almost certainly use NECG hooded ramp front and insland three leaf rear), work out stock options, etc. If anyone needs a nioe sporter stock from an M70 Classic or a 300 RUM barrel for the same (because yours is shot out :ROFLMAO:) let me know. I'll post here as we progress.

For all interested, the RSM .375 for $970 in Mobile proved to be some type of scam. I emailed him twice with email, phone #, and places I could meet up. But there was never any response. Oh well!

I e-mailed the head Smith at Ahlmans in Morristown Minnesota and asked if it was feasible to convert my M98 in 30-06 to 404 Jeff, and he said yes but he wants to take a close look at it before he commits to the job

Project status

Spec'd out the project with my smith a couple of weeks ago.
- Pac-nor #5 supermatch barrel 24 in
- NECG 3 leaf rear sight
- Williams hooded ramp front sight
- NECG barrel band swivel
- blueprint action and fit barrel
- Cerakote

I also purchased a surplus USRAC Super Express stock from Midwest Gunworks with pretty nice wood. Barrel is ordered with an expexcted 8 week turn around. Not much more will happen until the barrel arrives.

If you have even a slight interest in a 404 you will never be happy with a 416 Rem. May as well say "I'm thinking about getting a 1954 300SL, but the 2015 Camaro has more rear seat leg room." Get the 404 and enjoy life.

I'm going to try to use my same stock I'll have to drill it for cross bracing it has that ols school classic look. Sounds like your on your way,I better get some brass and bullets on order now,,I foresee a shortage in the near future

I e-mailed the head Smith at Ahlmans in Morristown Minnesota and asked if it was feasible to convert my M98 in 30-06 to 404 Jeff, and he said yes but he wants to take a close look at it before he commits to the job
Very good choice Rob44.
You will be contented.
Gool luck

The barrel came in last week and my smith has ordered the other parts below. They will be in next week, so this might be done by Christmas!

- NECG 3 leaf rear sight
- Williams hooded ramp front sight
- NECG barrel band swivel

That ammo is getting anxious!

Don't forget - pics are mandatory!

I've changed direction on my 404. I've decided to use a CZ550 Magnum Action for my 404 Build. I sought the owner and head Smith at CZ Custom shop and he has agreed to do me a semi custom shop 404 jeff, The only difference will be is I am supplying him with a Donor CZ in 375HH the rifle already has cross bolts installed from the factory so outside of a bedding It should work out fine, he uses McGowen Barrels and we have decided to go with a 24" barrel CZ seems to use a fast twist rate which seems to go against what I've read

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JudeWjg34

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross