Poor Man's Hydros

@IvW but would you send it down the barrel of an old gun that you used a string to pull the trigger while you hid behind something?

My wife just listened to me relay some of this thread and why I was smiling. She provided a succinct response: “Usually if there is a conversation about if something is dangerous, it probably is.”

So, now I definitely advocate to shoot one of these using proper protection (tree or a wall, but not your wife’s car). More points are added if you shoot a cinderblock and send us pictures. Points are removed if you say “hold my beer” just prior to shooting, since we are in a safety first plan.

I imagine not much will happen with these other than inaccuracy- if the basic powder charge/pressure is kept within the conservative range for a regular thin jacketed bullet of similar weight. And really not a "hydro" design but more of a form of wadcutter/stakecutter type bullet. A true hydro would be mono solid or thick jacketed solid nose bullet with a non deforming flat nose or small, shallow concave cup in the nose. Interesting though. Kind of reminds me of the oddity of shooting "ring arounds" out of a shotgun. :)

Oh yah and remember for the video and/or audience, just before puling the trigger ,you need to say, "Watch this!"

Last edited:
At any rate, I don't think Woodleigh will be going out of business because of this. :)

I'm pretty sure they are quaking in their boots.

@IvW but would you send it down the barrel of an old gun that you used a string to pull the trigger while you hid behind something?

My wife just listened to me relay some of this thread and why I was smiling. She provided a succinct response: “Usually if there is a conversation about if something is dangerous, it probably is.”

So, now I definitely advocate to shoot one of these using proper protection (tree or a wall, but not your wife’s car). More points are added if you shoot a cinderblock and send us pictures. Points are removed if you say “hold my beer” just prior to shooting, since we are in a safety first plan.

No, I also see 404 Jeff cases....

Uh-oh... regardless of my words in the initial post, I can see that the public image of me is starting to look like this :)

why-do-women-live-longer.jpg

While in reality, the picture below is a lot closer to the truth:

young-man-measuring-screw-using-caliper-66854917.jpg

:)

No mate, I know you're just speculating - and who wouldn't under the circumstances (all your plans being screwed by a bloody Chinese import!!) - all anyone need do is re-read your opening paragraph. (y)

Reactions: cmk
This sounds like the making of a 'hold my beer and watch this' moment. :)

ya know, as a young man a friend and i could have posed for that "why women live longer than men" photo. we were using very accurate air rifles, still, not the smartest thing i ever did.

good luck on your project

Sounds like a "You ain't gonna believe this shit" moment.

Not tested yet - put on hold for the time being. I loaded up a round, but it felt a bit tight when chambering (scratches on the outside of the neck), and when I went to dissasemble it, the 'bullet' came apart. So... maybe the remaining ones will stay on the shelf.

Not tested yet - put on hold for the time being. I loaded up a round, but it felt a bit tight when chambering (scratches on the outside of the neck), and when I went to dissasemble it, the 'bullet' came apart. So... maybe the remaining ones will stay on the shelf.

Fair enough.

On the one hand, a shame you didn't ge to try out your invention. On the other, perhaps discretion is the greater part of valour here!

Al.

I remember Gary Cooper stuffing his rifle with the ramrod and not having time to pull it out as the attacker was lunging at him and subsequently shot the enemy with the ramrod lol. Cant remember the name of the film. It may have been The Plainsman.

Last edited:
I remember Gary Cooper stuffing his rifle with the ramrod and not having time to pull it out as the attacker was lunging at him and subsequently shot the enemy with the ramrod lol. Cant remember the name of the film. It may have been The Plainsman.
I know a friend who said his brother in law shot a deer with the ramrod. Haste makes waste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg