POLL: What's the best .458 solid bullet for Elephant?

What is the best .458 dia bullet currently available for Elephant?

  • 1. Swift Breakaway Solid

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • 2. North Fork Cup Point Solid

    Votes: 6 6.3%
  • 3. North Fork Flat Point Solid

    Votes: 18 18.9%
  • 4. Barnes Banded Solid

    Votes: 8 8.4%
  • 5. Hornady DGS Solid

    Votes: 2 2.1%
  • 6. CEB Safari Dangerous Game Solid

    Votes: 37 38.9%
  • 7. Lehigh Defense Flat Nose Solid

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 8. Lehigh Extreme Penetrator

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9. Woodleigh HYDRO solid

    Votes: 34 35.8%

  • Total voters
    95
Coyote Walker. I’m still waiting to use the custom loaded CEB raptors from the .450 you recommended. They look like ICBM missles in waiting
 
What good is the best bullet if they only come available once every two years or you have to give up your first born to get one. Dial in a rifle for it. Then can’t buy them.

CEB and Northfork are readily available.
 
What good is the best bullet if they only come available once every two years or you have to give up your first born to get one. Dial in a rifle for it. Then can’t buy them.

CEB and Northfork are readily available.

CEB usally has sales twice a year spring then late winter. Usally a long weekend sale. Get on there email list and they will let you know. Seen the sales 20-30% off even have bought close outs for 50% off.
 
I’ve never had an issue getting CEB.

I was speaking of Woodleigh, Swift etc.
 
I’ve never had an issue getting CEB.

I was speaking of Woodleigh, Swift etc.
Ive been talking to Woodleigh and trying to find out when they were going to be more available. They have responded... But no real info on dates.

Swift and Woodleigh used to be fairly easy to get :(.
 
Ive been talking to Woodleigh and trying to find out when they were going to be more available. They have responded... But no real info on dates.

Swift and Woodleigh used to be fairly easy to get :(.
Today, any solid from Barnes, Hornady, Federal, Swift, NF..will work, you just need to place it correctly.This is coming from a friend of mine that has o 50 or more bulls and cows under his belt....

Elephant is not on my menu till 2028 and as and when that comes I will load any of the above without dropping a sweat.
 
Today, any solid from Barnes, Hornady, Federal, Swift, NF..will work, you just need to place it correctly.This is coming from a friend of mine that has o 50 or more bulls and cows under his belt....

Elephant is not on my menu till 2028 and as and when that comes I will load any of the above without dropping a sweat.
If possible, I would avoid using round nose solids. But if they were all I could get, I wouldn't feel too bad about using them.
 
Cutting Edge Bullets will give you a Military Discount. Nuff said?

CEB 450 gr .458 from .458 Win at 2300 fps.
Pass through bottom of brain and second shot through shoulder.
Bullets now hiding in Chewore South area, Zimbabwe

View attachment 793030
with the 450 grain there is no reason to shoot 500 grain bullets
 
Coyote Walker. I’m still waiting to use the custom loaded CEB raptors from the .450 you recommended. They look like ICBM missles in waiting
if you are going to use the .458 420 Raptor they are totally devastating on Buffalo, my PH last week said he has never seen the damage like the produce in his life and would like a lifetime supply if he could get them.
 
I used a Hornady DGS solid on my Ele and she went down with one shot. Also have successfully used DGX Bonded on Buff and Hippo. They had the same POA and POI in my 460 and I liked that.

I've been using CEBs in other rifles with good results and chose to utilize 500gr CEB solids in my 460 paired with 500 gr TSX's. I do feel the CEB is a superior Solid design.
 
I’ve used the 416 Raptor on Buffalo. He fell forward into his nose and was dead when we walked up. No insurance needed.

I was speaking of a hotter load in the .450 bushmaster and using the CEB Raptor in the .450 bushmaster. I have them sitting, waiting for deer season
 
I’ve used the 416 Raptor on Buffalo. He fell forward into his nose and was dead when we walked up. No insurance needed.

I was speaking of a hotter load in the .450 bushmaster and using the CEB Raptor in the .450 bushmaster. I have them sitting, waiting for deer season

I’ve shot lioness, wildebeest, kudu, zebra, giraffe, and a couple buffalo with CEB Safari Raptors. Dropped in their tracks!

For the 2026 whitetail deer season in lower Michigan, bottleneck rifle cartridges are finally legal. I have CEB Raptors for 6.5x284, .280AI, .30-06, and .300 H&H. Now it’s decisions, decisions of which of many rifles to hunt with!
 
I’ve shot lioness, wildebeest, kudu, zebra, giraffe, and a couple buffalo with CEB Safari Raptors. Dropped in their tracks!

For the 2026 whitetail deer season in lower Michigan, bottleneck rifle cartridges are finally legal. I have CEB Raptors for 6.5x284, .280AI, .30-06, and .300 H&H. Now it’s decisions, decisions of which of many rifles to hunt with!
That's the kind of problems I like to deal with
 
When I started this thread, I assumed the Swift and the North Forks would be the 2 favorites. I also thought the Barnes would score a bit higher.

Primarily due to availability, I've ordered a batch of CEB solids.

The Swift I can get from Midway, so it only makes sense to try a few boxes.

I've yet to run into anything I recognize as a high pressure sign with my 450 Rigby, so theoretically 2550fps is possible, but 2400 seems more reasonable. I'll build some loads and report back on accuracy and possibly do a few fun penetration tests.
 
When I started this thread, I assumed the Swift and the North Forks would be the 2 favorites. I also thought the Barnes would score a bit higher.

Primarily due to availability, I've ordered a batch of CEB solids.

The Swift I can get from Midway, so it only makes sense to try a few boxes.

I've yet to run into anything I recognize as a high pressure sign with my 450 Rigby, so theoretically 2550fps is possible, but 2400 seems more reasonable. I'll build some loads and report back on accuracy and possibly do a few fun penetration tests.
2400 fps will be more than enough
 
Well, the CEB are available, but Midway is fresh out of Swift. Tried to order 2 boxes, and I get a massage that this item will be backordered. Shocking I tell ya. :rolleyes:
 
Normal for Swift to not make enough to last more than a few days on their own site or their customers own site, good reason to stay with CEB bullets
 
Different answers for different .458 cartridges. The 458 WM is powder capacity-challenged (w/ the 500 gr bullets taking up so much space and the lower density solids even more), such that the traditional Woodleigh FMJs (shortest bullet avail. for the job) allow the max powder charge. When capacity is not an issue, the Barnes Banded Solids get the job done every time. I prefer the RN version over the Flat noses. Kevin Robertson discusses the various solids (and softs) quite well in Africa's Most Dangerous. Woodleighs are excellent hunting bullets, but availability is so sketchy in the US I've given up on 'em in favor of tried-and-true American metal.
 
Cutting Edge Bullets will give you a Military Discount. Nuff said?

CEB 450 gr .458 from .458 Win at 2300 fps.
Pass through bottom of brain and second shot through shoulder.
Bullets now hiding in Chewore South area, Zimbabwe

View attachment 793030
Nice! I’ve got a 450 grain CEB hiding in Chewore South as well.
 

Forum statistics

Threads
70,287
Messages
1,570,667
Members
168,928
Latest member
ZandraFors
 

 

 

Latest profile posts

MHYOUNG 375 wrote on Marley7x57's profile.
If you really are interested I 'll send some pix. I have quiet a few.
curt672 wrote on Robmill70's profile.
So What's the story on the 340 ??? thanks Curt
rdog wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Bob i was at Rebel gun works last Friday they had once fired 25/20 brass in their up stairs section , how are the knees going?
hunted So Africa 4 times and more to come
 
Top