Politics

1665278542560.png

Oct 9, 2022 President Vladimir Putin has gifted Russia something big on his 70th birthday. He has just snatched a huge oil and gas project from the United States of America. Putin signed a decree on the 7th of October that will make Russia take over the operations of the Exxon Mobil in the Sakhalin-1 oil and gas project. Exxon Mobil is an American energy giant. Russia is now the biggest operator of the Sakhalin-1 oil and gas development project, located off the coast of Sakhalin Island in Russia’s far east. The takeover of Exxon is yet another of Vladimir Putin’s signature moves to grapple and choke western energy properties in Russia. Watch to know more

Oct 9, 2022 President Vladimir Putin has gifted Russia something big on his 70th birthday. He has just snatched a huge oil and gas project from the United States of America. Putin signed a decree on the 7th of October that will make Russia take over the operations of the Exxon Mobil in the Sakhalin-1 oil and gas project. Exxon Mobil is an American energy giant. Russia is now the biggest operator of the Sakhalin-1 oil and gas development project, located off the coast of Sakhalin Island in Russia’s far east. The takeover of Exxon is yet another of Vladimir Putin’s signature moves to grapple and choke western energy properties in Russia. Watch to know more

With the brain drain Russia is experiencing, it will be interesting to see how well they can operate this. This is not an easy field to operate.

Just more state propaganda for the Russian population.

ExxonMobil announced back in March they were discontinuing operations in the Sakhalin - in solidarity with the Ukrainian people.

Any American company who is doing business in a totalitarian state and then acts surprised when they seize it is at best a pack of fools, more likely collaborators who are still profiting as they cry poor-mouth.

Any American company who is doing business in a totalitarian state and then acts surprised when they seize it is at best a pack of fools, more likely collaborators who are still profiting as they cry poor-mouth.
Fair, but circumstances dictate a fair bit if you're an oil company.

Looking at list of the worlds biggest producers you get Saudi Arabia, Russia, US, Canada, Iraq, UAE, Nigeria, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Norway.

Not exactly a 'who's who' of the worlds most free and democratic nations, Norway, Canada and the US excluded.

Fair, but circumstances dictate a fair bit if you're an oil company.

Looking at list of the worlds biggest producers you get Saudi Arabia, Russia, US, Canada, Iraq, UAE, Nigeria, Kuwait, Kazakhstan, Norway.

Not exactly a 'who's who' of the worlds most free and democratic nations, Norway, Canada and the US excluded.

Yes and regimes change. You can’t just walk away from a multi billion dollar investment when politics shift.

An interesting take - in a 'why, Oh why?'/ 'we're all doomed' sort of way - on the destruction of the American middle-class.

What the article does not say is which politician identified the problem and tried to do something about it.

https://unherd.com/2022/10/how-turbo-wokism-broke-america/
The author fails to see the forest for all the trees. We already have a much-too-powerful state. The state without the power to grant favors is of no utility to those with the wealth of Bezos, Soros, or Buffet.

Those fellas might have some semblance of control for a while, but a brutal murderer will come along, along the lines of a Stalin or a Mao, and will either set them all straight or disappear/suicide the ones who won't toe the line.

Yes and regimes change. You can’t just walk away from a multi billion dollar investment when politics shift.
Indeed. In fact I'm honestly quite surprised just how many international businesses have bailed out of Russia in recent months. Yes, the optics are bad now, but in 5 years no one will care and it's a lot of assets to simply write off over what is, when you really get down to it, a transient political hiccup that'll be very quickly forgotten by both consumers and the investor community. Especially for the oil industry which, rightly or wrongly, already has a terrible ESG reputation and is a bit of a pariah for many traditional sources of business finance.

Reactions: WAB
One more variation of Snake Oil perpetrated by the Communists that is best avoided at all costs.
I quite agree, but if it dictates your access to affordable capital as a business or your share price (and it increasingly does) it's a matter of life or death in the corporate world.

For that not to be the case, the consumers and investors (both large and small) whose pension funds make up the equity of the big corporate lenders need to make it abundantly clear that it's not of interest to them, and I can't see that happening any time soon in any 'western' nation.

On the bright side, an independent investor with no real interest in virtue signalling can find some good buys in the 'unfashionable' sectors of the market like oil, cigarettes and weapons.

1665371507167.png

:E Yawn: Pretty sure Exxon Mobile has barely noticed - this was announced in March (did the little dictator have an early birthday?) Regrettably, I suspect the Russian return on investment has been rather disappointing to date.

One year ago Exxon Mobile closed at 101.02 - Friday they closed at 101.03. By the way, how is the Russian market doing? Asking for a friend. :unsure:

Last edited:
why should we expect anything but to take some private property in Sakhalin- afterall, Stalin stole it from the Japanese and Putin is just keeping up an old family tradition.

and some people talk about how trump talks LOL

Oct 10, 2022 Donald Trump has played a compilation video taking aim at US President Joe Biden and some of his recent gaffes.

lets go Brandon

Reactions: RTG

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KimProbst1

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

SETH RINGER wrote on Fatback's profile.
IF YOU DON'T COME UP WITH ANY .458, I WILL TRY AND GET MY KID TO PACK SOME UP FOR YOU BUT PROBABLY WOUDN'T BE TILL THIS WEEKEND AND GO OUT NEXT WEEK.
PURA VIDA, SETH
sgtsabai wrote on Sika98k's profile.
I'm unfortunately on a diet. Presently in VA hospital as Agent Orange finally caught up with me. Cancer and I no longer can speak. If all goes well I'll be out of here and back home in Thailand by end of July. Tough road but I'm a tough old guy. I'll make it that hunt.
sgtsabai wrote on Wyfox's profile.
Nice one there. I guided for mulies and elk for about 10 or so years in northern New Mexico.
sgtsabai wrote on Tanks's profile.
Business is the only way to fly. I'm headed to SA August 25. I'm hoping that business isn't an arm and a leg. If you don't mind, what airline and the cost for your trip. Mine will be convoluted. I'll be flying into the states to pick up my 416 Rigby as Thailand doesn't allow firearms (pay no attention to the daily shootings and killings) so I'll have 2 very long trips.