skydiver386
AH legend
Exactly!Funny, when you stop paying for other countries defense you’re “unreliable”; I find that hilarious as the EU has been completely unreliable in paying their own NATO spending for decades.
Exactly!Funny, when you stop paying for other countries defense you’re “unreliable”; I find that hilarious as the EU has been completely unreliable in paying their own NATO spending for decades.
A reverse poll needs to taken.For myself I like the word independent when it comes to polling companies. But perhaps it was the fact that it is a british polling company?
Unfortunately I dont think that Rasmussen Reports will make that kind of polling anytime soon, they are probably to busy with the US polling.
I guess you’re forgetting about Afghanistan, huhA reverse poll needs to taken.
If shit ever hits the fan for the USA, how many countries will be reliable allies to us?
It works both ways.
For myself I like the word independent when it comes to polling companies. But perhaps it was the fact that it is a british polling company?
Unfortunately I dont think that Rasmussen Reports will make that kind of polling anytime soon, they are probably to busy with the US polling.
This has nothing to do with Afghanistan.I guess you’re forgetting about Afghanistan, huh
I would say that NATO allies joining the fight is a decent enough example to not have to question their commitment to each other. Now threatening NATO members on the other hand….This has nothing to do with Afghanistan.
Reread my post and let me know when it sinks in, huh.
What Trump did was slap the tit out of EU leaders mouth, when cows wean their calves it's usually not done gently either but it's for the best.I think it is more a question of what Trump has said and done lately then about the demands on all Nato countries to meet the new 5 percent base line.
Poland and Lithuania seems to be on track to meet the new 5 percent baseline pretty soon, but most members still seems to be around 2-3 percent.
View attachment 745567
I read your post and it has everything to do with Afghanistan where our NATO allies supported us in combat. Denmark and the UK actually suffered more than double the annual combat-death rate of U.S. forces based upon comparing casualties to deployed forces. Those rates were closely followed by Canada and Estonia. Those deployments were a direct result of invocation of Article 5 (mutual defense) on 12 September 2001. The only time the clause has gone into effect. Let us know when it sinks in.This has nothing to do with Afghanistan.
Reread my post and let me know when it sinks in, huh.
It’s been more than twenty years since the invasion of Afghanistan, four presidents have come and gone, and an entire generation (in both Europe and the US) has come of age since then.I guess you’re forgetting about Afghanistan, huh
We've been down the Afghanistan path before.. Most of the world participated in Afghanistan.. it was not just NATO..I guess you’re forgetting about Afghanistan, huh
My Friend what did graph look like before Trump? Hint, all but three were under 2%. The NATO countries are upset because Trump wants you to pay more. Had everyone been paying the 2% to begin with, you would not be getting your collective feelings hurt. But, frankly your countries will be better off and actually prepared.Poland and Lithuania seems to be on track to meet the new 5 percent baseline pretty soon, but most members still seems to be around 2-3 percent.
View attachment 745567
Well maybe most NATO countries realized that the whole Iraq thing was to try and finish off what Sr started? (I’m looking you “Weapons of Mass Destruction”)We've been down the Afghanistan path before.. Most of the world participated in Afghanistan.. it was not just NATO..
Australia
Jordan
Georgia
New Zealand
Sweden
Finland
South Korea
UAE
Azerbaijan
Bosnia
Ireland
Maylasia
Singapore
Tonga
El Salvador
Colombia
Macedonia
Switzerland
Ukraine
Kyrgestan
Tajikistan
Turkmenistan
Uzbeckistan
Pakistan
Japan
Egypt
and even RUSSIA
all participated to one degree or another.. NONE of those countries were members of NATO at the time they were involved in Afghanistan... None of them had an obligation to the US.. and most of the NATO members participating got involved for reasons not related to the US..
some of the countries listed above are not even remotely friendly toward the US.. many of those countries do minimal trade with the US.. and again, NONE of them were bound by any treaty, pact, alliance, or otherwise..
The world participated in Afghanistan because the world recognized it was in the worlds best interest to rid itself of the problem of Al Queda... The world participated in Afghanistan because many of those countries saw it as an opportunity to field test their troops and equipment in a tough environment and prove their battle readiness and to battle harden them (believe it or not, a lot of people in the military, regardless of which country they serve, WANT to go to war.. they are warriors.. its what they train their entire lives for.. they want to be proven.. and their countries want to know they are capable if/when the time comes and they are needed)..
Lets not forget that prior to the invasion in 2001, Al Queda had attacked not only the US, but had also attacked Germany and France (France multiple times)..
Plots were foiled where Al Queda planned on attacking Canada, Spain, and the UK.. Al Queda actively participated in the Bosnian war.. They supported militants in Russia (specifically Chechnyia)..
If you think everyone jumped in solely because of some loyalty to the US or even NATO.. youre fooling yourself..
Canada specifically knew it would be attacked sooner or later by Al Queda (again, multiple plots had already been foiled prior to 2001)..
And.. if we want to play the "remember Afghanistan" game... I'd ask, where was Canada and most of NATO in Iraq? Where was France? What about Germany? how about Belgium?
Article 5 was invoked on Sept 12, 2001.. All 18 members of NATO unanimously voted in favor.. there was not a single vote of dissent..
Iraq was a "coalition of the willing".. the US literally said they would accept the assistance of anyone that wanted to be involved..
And the most of the largest militaries in NATO outside of the US chose to sit on the sidelines..
While, oh by the way, several NON NATO countries did get directly involved in Iraq... Australia, Ukraine, El Salvador, South Korea, Mongolia, Azerbaijan, and Kazakhstan, Japan, and many others (43 nations in total) all fought in Iraq... but.. again... Germany, France, Canada, and Belgium.. all NATO members.. all large forces in NATO.. sat it out..
In fact, Canada went so far as to declare it would not go to Iraq unless the UN mandated it...
They have shifted, but it’s amazing how quickly priorities can be re-aligned once a rally cry has been sent out.It’s been more than twenty years since the invasion of Afghanistan, four presidents have come and gone, and an entire generation (in both Europe and the US) has come of age since then.
I’m not saying I necessarily agree with Brent but I think we have to be careful making predictions based on events from that long ago. It’s not ancient history but global politics have shifted quite a bit.
I think that by now the general feeling in Europe is that Trump demanding the increase in defense spending is actually a good thing. At least thats how it is framed by most media outlets here in Europe and also by most politicians.My Friend what did graph look like before Trump? Hint, all but three were under 2%. The NATO countries are upset because Trump wants you to pay more. Had everyone been paying the 2% to begin with, you would not be getting your collective feelings hurt. But, frankly your countries will be better off and actually prepared.
Well maybe most NATO countries realized that the whole Iraq thing was to try and finish off what Sr started? (I’m looking you “Weapons of Mass Destruction”)
Anyway, your a smart man, smarter than I am, so I bet you don’t believe that NATO counties would leave America high and dry should something happen. And I don’t believe America would either, but there sure as hell would be strings attached. Donny doesn’t seem to do anything out of the goodness of his heart.
No it doesn'tI read your post and it has everything to do with Afghanistan where our NATO allies supported us in combat. Denmark and the UK actually suffered more than double the annual combat-death rate of U.S. forces based upon comparing casualties to deployed forces. Those rates were closely followed by Canada and Estonia. Those deployments were a direct result of invocation of Article 5 (mutual defense) on 12 September 2001. The only time the clause has gone into effect. Let us know when it sinks in.
Yes, NATO should have been meeting its defense spending obligations before the Trump administration. It is clearly in Europe's interest to do so and 5% of GDP is not too much to ask of any nation to invest in its own security. I will be curious to see if the US practices what it is demanding of its allies. We are currently spend 3-3.4% depending upon how both GDP and defense spending are counted. Trump claims to want a 1.5 trillion defense package, but I will believe it when I see it.
How many countries were in Afghanistan after 9/11? It was the only time Article 5 was invoked.A reverse poll needs to taken.
If shit ever hits the fan for the USA, how many countries will be reliable allies to us?
It works both ways.