gbax

AH member
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Media
Hunted
South Africa
We have a major issue in the UK - opposition to trophy hunting is at an all-time high...fuelled by Anti-organisations (often deliberately muddying the waters on hunting vs. poaching), celebrity tweets and widely ill-informed and often simply untrue newspaper articles.

This has come to a head.....our prime ministers girlfriend is an anti and has persuaded him to push for a ban on trophy hunting imports and exports from the UK. He has appointed Zac Goldsmith as 'Minster for International Wildlife' (Zac is another Anti). The early day motion 'debate' that took place a month or two back wasn’t a debate in any way but a group of Members of Parliament regurgitating the fuel mentioned above and falling over each other to say how shocking and immoral sport hunting is and how it is harming 'endangered' species. For those of you that are interested canned Lion hunting was a stick they used to beat us with. Zac Goldsmith was the only person in the that seemed vaguely informed and at least acknowledged there would be implications to a ban.

I am sure lots of you will say... so what..... I don’t live in the UK and don't intend to ever go and hunt in the UK so I don’t care..... but as you know these things have a habit of gaining momentum so your country could be next.

If any of you are minded to help then they are collecting evidence to help form a decision. As much possible avoid anecdotal evidence but use science and data (ideally peer reviewed etc etc). It will be especially useful if you are an outfitter or represent an organisation.

Please highlight:
1) what would happen if hunting was banned (poaching/ land reverting to livestock instead of game/ habitat loss)
2) Success stories (Zambeze Delta/ Save/ Bubya etc etc)
3) The lack of alternative land uses (they think all part of Africa could be used for photo safaris)
4) Benefits to local population
5) explain how quotas work and how they are mature and old males
6) highlight how poaching works and what is being done to stop it
7) explain that far from driving extinction hunting is a huge force in conservation.

Please do not send any emails calling them stupid or anything else (it may well be true, but it would be massively counterproductive)

Please send your submissions to

huntingtrophyconsultation@defra.gov.uk
zac@zacgoldsmith.com

Many thanks for your help
Regards
Guy

The sad truth is this. They already know these things for the most part. They don't really care about the facts, its an emotional thing for them. They cannot envision ever taking part in such activity and thus cannot imagine that there is any benefit to an animal if some are killed for sport. Yes we know the benefits and support them, but they really don't care witness Kenya.
We have the same thing going on here, not news. Our current President has so far shown himself to be sort of a mixed bag on these issues. Fortunately his sons have hunted and even been to Africa and while he himself has referred to elephant hunting as a horror show, his words, I think he is open to enlightenment and has relaxed some regulations regarding importation of sport hunted trophies. We aint there yet but its going in the right direction, for now.
I seriously doubt those in your govt will give much credence to anything they hear from hunters elsewhere.

Hoas has posted a number of articles written by scholars and other noted individuals with "boots on the ground" denouncing the Anti hunters agenda. Just do a search with Hoas as the author and they will pop up. NamStay has posted a lot of similar articles as well

The sad truth is this. They already know these things for the most part. They don't really care about the facts, its an emotional thing for them. They cannot envision ever taking part in such activity and thus cannot imagine that there is any benefit to an animal if some are killed for sport. Yes we know the benefits and support them, but they really don't care witness Kenya.
We have the same thing going on here, not news. Our current President has so far shown himself to be sort of a mixed bag on these issues. Fortunately his sons have hunted and even been to Africa and while he himself has referred to elephant hunting as a horror show, his words, I think he is open to enlightenment and has relaxed some regulations regarding importation of sport hunted trophies. We aint there yet but its going in the right direction, for now.
I seriously doubt those in your govt will give much credence to anything they hear from hunters elsewhere.

Having watched the whole recent debate i can tell you that they dont know these things......they are mindbogglingly ignorant on the subject.....mostly regurgitating the anti lies that are the only thing that make the papers in the UK. I am not hoping that hunters respond but more PH's outfitters and other professional associations.....people who are boots on the ground that can tell them the realities.

Hoas has posted a number of articles written by scholars and other noted individuals with "boots on the ground" denouncing the Anti hunters agenda. Just do a search with Hoas as the author and they will pop up. NamStay has posted a lot of similar articles as well

Sorry google is not helping me - what are HOAS and NamStay ?

They are AH members. Go to the search feature on AH and type in their names in the "Posted By" section. A list of their posts will come up then scroll through and find the ones you are looking for. The articles you are looking for are reprints of info that appeared elsewhere. You might also PM both of them to see where they get their material from. Good luck.

Having watched the whole recent debate i can tell you that they dont know these things......they are mindbogglingly ignorant on the subject.....mostly regurgitating the anti lies that are the only thing that make the papers in the UK. I am not hoping that hunters respond but more PH's outfitters and other professional associations.....people who are boots on the ground that can tell them the realities.
The House needs to hear from the president of Botswana, he is very articulate on this issue. Also, the representative from Namibia. They will discount the submissions from those who earn a living conducting a safari. But, they cannot ignore the official statements. Your hunting groups should be lobbying those countries to make representations.

I hope you can turn the tide in the Uk. After Cecil the lion they banned the import of all cites annex A species here in the Netherlands. And some, random, annex B species. Keep up the good fight!

Will the election today in the U.K. have any impact on the trophy ban?

I for one will not stop hunting whether I can or cannot bring trophies home. Example is my lion and lioness hunt in 2019. It was a good deal just because I could not import them. I got to achieve a dream. I only brought home pictures and great memories! At my age trophies aren’t nearly as important as experiences.
I could care less about the antis agenda. I will keep hunting and experiencing the wonders of wildlife as I have since I was 6 years old and shot my first cotton tail rabbit.

I for one will not stop hunting whether I can or cannot bring trophies home. Example is my lion and lioness hunt in 2019. It was a good deal just because I could not import them. I got to achieve a dream. I only brought home pictures and great memories! At my age trophies aren’t nearly as important as experiences.
I could care less about the antis agenda. I will keep hunting and experiencing the wonders of wildlife as I have since I was 6 years old and shot my first cotton tail rabbit.
Thats what I'm thinking. If this ban happens I will just hunt even more but just non exportable so now the budget will go further.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg