Plains Game Magnum?

Plains Game Magnum, popular or

• Total voters
Growing up I read a bit and among other things I decided I wanted a Remington Sendero In .300wm, I decided it’s a must have calibre. But that’s not my idea of a Safari rifle, I have an old M77 that works. I got it at a fair price but don’t like the plastic stock, a new stock won’t be cheap and I probably want another gun.

Now as an armchair expert I considered the 7mmRem mag and .300wm would be good for plains game, if just the right thing came up.

We all need a ..375H&H anyway but see that’s for DG, versatile but we’d may as well take 2 rifles to Africa

So there is the .338wm as well, apparently it is widely used but that was going to be my choice in all weather S/S for bear. Can’t take the .375H&H safari rifle to to Alaska

Also I met an older gentleman, an African hunting veteran who only used the .270 and .338

I wasn’t sure about my first Tikka T3 being modular and stuff but I got over it. Now I think having more Tikkas is ok so I can swap stocks, mounts and accessories easily if I choose.

There is a good deal on used a Tikka .338wm but I’m dreaming and schemeing for Africa at present and I can’t really get it and store it till I get the urge to spend more than I can currently on taming a Grizzly.

i currently run 6 centrefire calibres at the moment. I want to narrow it down to in time and use them more.

If I was going dedicated Plains game rifle (Magnum) what would people suggest?

I will always have a .223 so to me a betweener and a suitable DG would cover me on every continent. Until I can justify more purchases.
@CBH
Chris forget the 338 and just get the 35 Whelen and load it properly. It will equal the 338 out to 400 yards.
In reality the 300 win mag will get the job done just as well for everything including eland and girrafe if you use the right bullets like a swift Aframe. For general use on plains game including Hartman zebra and Oryx the good old 308 with 150grain accubonds is more than enough or you can up it's performance and use the Australian made outer edge projectiles in the 08 or the 300 win mag.
Bob.

IMO: You really don’t need a magnum. If eland isn’t on the menu, any rifle you’d feel comfortable taking an elk with, will work. You need to use heavy tough bullets and place them well. Some of the critters, like wildebeest, gemsbok and zebra are tough.
If eland is on the list, I’d count the .30/06 as minimum. The .35 Whelen and 9.3x62 or 9.3x74R would be great non magnum choices.
That said, I personally would prefer a magnum. I’m a .338 guy. I wouldn’t have any issue using a .280 or .30/06 on a kudu. Heck, I took two springbok, a steinbok, a gemsbok and a mountain zebra with a .30/06 last year, but I just prefer a .338 mag.
@ meigsbucks
My son didn't think zebra and Oryx were that tough he dropped his Oryx in its tracks with 1 shot out of his 308 and 150 gn accubonds, his zebra was 2 shots with outer edge projectiles but the first shot was enough. The second shot was insurance.
If you pace your bullet in the right spot you don't have problems. He listened to the PH on shot placement and had no worries with the 308. He did as well with the 08 as I did with the Whelen.
Just my 2cents worth.
Bob

Or if you choose to go the exotic (but still classic) route.

333 Jeffery or 318 Westley Richards.

Finding factory ammo would be a hassle, even reloading components are not common due to the odd bullet diameters. Woodleigh makes them both though IIRC.

A more modern take on the 318 WR is the 338-06, which would make an excellent PG calibre.

Yes. That’s exactly what I took with me last year. 338-06, shooting 210 Partitions on top of 58 grains of Ramshot Big Game, a CCI 200 primer in Weatherby brass. This is a sub-MOA load in my rifle.

Update, i went to South Africa January 2020. I hired a 7mmRM as i had never used one. A Sako with a Swarovski scope.
10 one shot kills including 2 Kudu
I sold that Ruger somewhere along the way, a mk1 tang safety. Howl me down.
I recently got a secondhand Tikka in .300wm walnut stock. Kicked the snot out me over the bench sighting in with original T3 recoil pad. I put my laminate stock with a limbsaver on and that took the sting out of it.
Hoping to hunt next with it week. Well i will at least get a walk in.

I think if eland are on the list I'd probably want something a bit bigger than my 30.06.
Maybe a magnum 30 cal would be in order but there's lots of others like .35 Whelen or 9.3

@CBH Australia what are you going to hunt next week? A nice walk with a new rifle sounds like a perfect plan.

what ammo combo will you use? I’ve got an elk hunt in 3 weeks. The .300 WM is coming with me, I’m still testing different factory ammo.
I will take a rifle for a walk in the afternoons on a property neighbouring work.
I hope to shoot a pig. Mostly small to medium anything over about 80kg i would consider big for the area.
Maybe a PPU factory load, i also still have some in Highland packaging.
I sighted/tested it in a rush with some handloads with Hornady SST 180gn. Planning to use up some stuff i have.
I used a Hornady Zmax 168gn from a .308 before and it blew up on the shoulder shield. Lesson learned. I think extra velocity will only see the same.
I just wanted a .300wm among other things. I have the option to rebarrel to 7mmRM or .338 later if i ever get to burn it out.

chris,
the 180 gn sierra boattail sp is a good pig bullet in the 300 win mag.
it has a nice balance of penetration and expansion, and retains velocity well when you have to reach out a bit.
it also has fairly good wind deflection.
bruce.

I’m going to northern BC for moose and mountain caribou, in about 3 weeks. I’m taking my Rem 700 in 300 Winchester Magnum, with hand loaded 180 grain Nosler Accubonds, at about 3000 fps. I don’t anticipate any problems with its performance. It’s a proven load, in a proven rifle, and I have numerous moose under my belt.

I am with Bob 35. The Whelen, 35 Sambar, 358Norma mag will deliver more punch than a 300Mag( not talking solely impact energy), this includes a bigger hole so more light in and blood out. Don't get me wrong the 300mags are fine for plains game the others can be a bit more emphatic, especially at range.

Nothing wrong with using a 375H&H on plains game even out to 300mts, it is still a reasonably flat shooting cartridge.

7RM with Barnes 160 g TSX. I've taken everything from zebra, blue, black wildebeest, waterbuck, on down to springbok. One shot kills on all. It's got the power and range and won't kill your shoulder.
Me too. Good choice.

Been on two plains game trips, first with my 300 RUM, great performance no issues at all from steenbok to kudu, 2nd trip 375 for most everything and really enjoyed that caliber. Bullet construction is a critical choice either but I feel more for a 300 or similar caliber. I would pick a 375 and you are pretty much covered on any trip you choose.

I packed two guns and one one ocassion 3 guns to Africa..usually a 338 and a 06, still a good choice, but after many PG safaris I just packed my RJ Renner 7x57 loaded with 160 gr. bullets of various makes and a case full of H414....No complaints..Tanzania a big boresuch as a 404 and a 7x57 or 338 worked well...probably best the 338 because you might run into a buff thats dragging a snare and in a bad mood as Ive seen happen..

Hunting Africa the PH will discourage head shots usually. They prefer you to shoot to take out one or both shoulders. That is how I usually hunt anyway so I am happy with that.
NEVER take a 270 they are terrible :)
If you take the 308win then just use 165gr Swift A-Frames or 150gr Nosler Partition or Barnes TTSX. That is if you can get them. There may be other good bullets where you are but I would avoid a cup-n-core type bullet. They will work-----usually but why skimp on the only part of the hunt that actually touches the animal and is still the cheapest part of the hunt even at $5+/round.
So you say don't take a 270 but then give advise on a 308 Win. ?????????

So you say don't take a 270 but then give advise on a 308 Win. ?????????
I think that was a smiley face after the .270 comment.
Hunting pests or meat I will take a headshot if possible.
In Africa I asked about a headshot and the PH said why should I want you to shoot it in the head?
He would allow it but did not encourage it. I thought they might as they were harvesting the meat which i was happy for but they don't encourage headshots. I guess they want hunters to claim their animal regardless.
Shooting off sticks was new to me but I tried a little at home first. Probably no worse than a hastily assumed rest in the bush but I did it their way and got all 10 culls with 1 shot kills

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg