Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
ECGMA, PHASA
Hunted
South Africa, Namibia, Zimbabwe
karoo_wild_safaris_new_lapa.jpg

Hunt the Eastern Cape, South Africa
The Karoo – a malaria free space of rugged mountains and endless savannah plains. A place where the land meets the sky and all your African hunting dreams are fulfilled.

karoo_wild_safaris_plains_game_hunting_safaris  2.jpg

KAROO WILD Safaris promises an exceptional plains game hunting safari. Family owned and managed, we have extensive knowledge in the hunting and hospitality fields. We offer hunters, couples and families a hunting and vacation experience of a lifetime.

We only accommodate one hunter or group at a time offering you our personal attention throughout your safari with us. We still believe in the adventure of hunting, the thrill of walking and stalking an animal, of discovering something new and unknown. We like it wild and our properties are large wildlife areas with no internal fences.

Non-hunters are welcome to join the hunting party or partake in one of the numerous non-hunting activities and tours in the area. Visits to the Addo Elephant National Park and the historical town of Graaff-Reinet are some of the popular activities enjoyed by our guests. Our sea-side apartment in scenic Plettenberg Bay is the perfect base for exploring the attractions that the coastal area has to offer. Shark cage diving, whale and dolphin safaris, the world's highest bungee jump, elephant back rides, deep sea and river fishing, beautiful beaches, shopping and fine dining are some of the activities guests can enjoy on a 1-3 night stay in Plett.

Karoo Wild Safaris is owned by Victor Watson. A fifth generation Karoo settler/landowner and hunter, he has a passion for the area and its' animals. Victor completed his Professional Hunting qualification at the age of 21 and has been actively guiding clients for 15 years. Lindsay, Victor’s wife, runs the four star graded lodge and prepares delicious cuisine to the highest international standards.

mvr34.jpg

Victor & Lindsay Watson

Spanning some 160 000 acres, our privately owned wildlife-only hunting properties and concessions offer a wide variety of terrain teeming with plains game. This is kudu country, our area boasting the highest density of these elusive animals in Africa.

Accommodation
Karoo Wild Safaris operates a dedicated lodge located in the heart of our plains game hunting area.

Haaspoort Lodge is a comfortable four-star graded (Tourism Grading Council of South Africa) lodge nestled in the Winterhoek mountains. This unique accommodation is offered in four privately located, thatched en-suite chalets complete with generous bathrooms, free-standing baths, indoor and outdoor showers and timber decks overlooking the river. Each chalet has king size beds and tea/coffee facilities. Wi-Fi internet access is available throughout the camp.

Haaspoort Lodge serves wholesome traditional meals. Lindsay encourages guests to try her venison specialities. Local South African wines are well represented in our bar. We have experience in catering to guests with special dietary requirements.

The surrounding mountains envelop the camp giving you a feeling of total remoteness and tranquility. Guests enjoy meals that are served at the thatched lapa and bar. Swap the days hunting stories under the star-studded Karoo skies alongside a roaring campfire.

The swimming pool is privately located near the lapa, with umbrellas and comfortable pool loungers.

Wake up in the morning and start glassing for game species from the lodge.

Haaspoort is child-friendly offering a range of non-hunting activities for families.

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

accom_2.jpg

hunting_a_burchells_zebra.jpg

107_800x532.jpg

hunting_a_oryx.jpg

hunting_a_kudu_bull.jpg

The Hunt
A typical day’s plains game hunting begins with a mug of coffee at daybreak followed by a light breakfast. Thereafter the hunting party set out in the hunting vehicle in search of prey. Our terrain and hunting ethos favour the "walk and stalk" method of hunting. Depending on the fitness level of the hunter and the species being hunted, we also occasionally wait at a favourable spot for antelope to move out into the open to graze, usually at late afternoon.

We are committed to providing our clients with a memorable African experience and your hunting experience is as important to us as the trophies you take home.

All hunts are accompanied by a coolbox with snacks and refreshments. A packed lunch is enjoyed in the bush or at the lodge. We hunt at your pace, it’s your adventure and we encourage our clients to savor every moment of the hunt. We cater to the needs of our clients, from the young boy on his first safari to the most experienced hunter. Families are welcome on our hunting safaris.

After the hunt, photos are taken and we head back to the lodge where the skinners begin their work and it’s time for us to relax by the camp fire and enjoy drinks followed by a scrumptious meal.

We also offer a range of non-hunting activities during or after the hunt. Feel free to take a day's break from hunting to see more of what our area has to offer.

After the Hunt
Your trophies are transported to our taxidermist for dipping, packing and shipping to the destination or taxidermist of your choice. You also have the option of having your trophies mounted in South Africa and shipped to your home. We work with closely with a number of taxidermists in our area and abroad and will be happy to recommend one according to your needs.

mvr44.jpg

jim_kudu.jpg

horn_308_resized.jpg

m_m_img_05901005833821.jpg

img_0524_resized.jpg

m_m_imgp3603a496075941.jpg

m_rob_and_mollie1973098791.jpg

imgp3420_640x4281667059662.jpg

Why hunt with Karoo Wild Safaris?
Choice of hunting outfitter and area is the most important decision you're going to make when planning your plains game hunting safari in South Africa. Below are some points to consider.

Diversity –The Eastern Cape boasts 6 out of 7 vegetation biomes and is the most ecologically diverse of South Africa’s provinces. This diversity in turn supports a large number of plains game species; from kudu in savannah bushveld, to klipspringer in the craggy mountain peaks and bushbuck in the coastal forests. The Eastern Cape offers an unrivalled variety of hunting safari opportunities.

Kudu – the area from Uitenhage to Steytlerville is acknowledged as having the highest density of kudu in the world. Every year, 25,000 kudu are hunted in the Eastern Cape. Karoo Wild Safaris enjoyed a 100% success rate for kudu in 2014, 2015 and 2016. During this period 23 out of 23 hunters who had a kudu on their wish list shot a trophy kudu, some chose to hunt a second one.

Owner run and managed / exclusivity – Karoo Wild Safaris is owner run and managed by myself, my wife Lindsay, trackers and lodge staff. We have a small and dedicated staff who love what they do. We only accommodate one hunter or hunting group at a time offering you our personal attention at all times. Besides our own property, we have numerous concessions in the nearby vicinity (160,000 acres) on which we have trophy hunting privileges. We're 5th generation Karoo settlers, our properties have been in our family since 1836.

Fair chase – We hunt by walk and stalk and spot and stalk. Your experience and enjoyment of your African safari is as important to us as the trophies you take home.

HospitalityHaaspoort Lodge is a four star graded lodge situated in the heart of our main hunting property. It exudes a quiet luxury and is perfect for hunters and couples wanting a shared hunting vacation. Each thatched chalet is privately located with en-suite bedrooms, tea/coffee facilities and decks overlooking the African bush. Lindsay is able to take hunters wives and families on tours to see the local attractions.

hunting_with_karoo_wild_safaris_in_the_eastern_cape_of_south_africa  4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for taking the time to put that all together for the prospective client

Hi, Victor, I'm planning on booking a Kudu hunt with you this year. I've been nothing but impressed by the reviews your outfit gets. I really look forward to my first African hunt--and to making it a Karoo adventure.

Best,

Tom

Hi Tom

We'd love to have you hunt with us. I've sent you a PM.

Kind Regards

I Booked with victor from Karoo wild safaris a few weeks ago.
He has been very helpful answering every question asked. Trust me, I asked quite a few being it is my first trip to Africa.
Looking forward to the hunt!!
Thanks Victor

Great pictures Vic. I saw a few from my brother and my hunt with you. They brought great memories.

My best to Lyndsay and the kids,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg