Pistol bullets in rifles- overstabilized?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Ray B, Apr 23, 2018.

1. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Just for plinking and practice I am considering loading some light-for-bore cast bullets and wondering what sort of results I should expect. the cartridges in question would be .357" 148gr in 358 Norma Mag, .424" cast bullets resized from .427" (designed for 44/40) in a 404 Jeffery; and 300 grain bullets in 458 Win Mag. Since the twist rates of all the barrels are designed for much heavier bullets, I am wondering if there are those with experience in such matters could enlighten me as to potential problems and solutions. For example if the bullets are over-stabilized by the twist, would it help to reduce the muzzle velocity by several hundred feet per second.

Pheroze likes this.

2. Divernhunter

Divernhunter AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
    Hunted:
    USA, RSA
    Load mild loads and the pistol bullets seem to work ok in many different cartridges. Keep the speed down for best results.

3. ChrisG

ChrisG AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    I don't think it will have any issues. The only problems you might have is with bullets coming apart at very high twist rates. Overstablization is really only a major issue when shooting long range and the bullet is spinning so fast that it doesn't reorient in the direction it is traveling and stays at the angle of ascent. It is then traveling slightly sideways through the air and slowing down very quickly.

I loaded 230 grain GDHP bullets made for a .45 ACP in a 450 bushmaster and fired them at 2,400 FPS. They shot fine and actually didn't blow to bits on impact. They just slow down very fast.

4. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    Great question. I heard about this for the 400 H&H but wondered where to start with load development

5. MAdcox

MAdcox GOLD SUPPORTER AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC; DSCOK
    Hunted:
    Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
    My college roommate had a Marlin lever action in 35 Remington. We worked up really good loads with 158 gr Hornady XTP .357 bullets. Can’t remember the load. But we killed several whitetail and coyotes with it. Great 75 to 100 yard brush round.

bilmcc likes this.

6. crs

crs AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
    Hunted:
    RSA
    My Winchester 1892 action with .357 Magnum Douglas barrel is most accurate with light, fast pistol bullets such as the 110 and 125 grain Super Vel.
    Heavier magnum bullets on up through 180 grain Buffalo Bore are good for hunting big game but do not shoot the small groups that the lighter and faster loads do.
    The rifle will fire .38 ammo, but it is so slow that it does not stabilize.
    [​IMG]

PS The Custom Bishop stocks have since been refinished to make the rifle look better.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 25, 2018