Pistol bullets in rifles- overstabilized?

Ray B

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Just for plinking and practice I am considering loading some light-for-bore cast bullets and wondering what sort of results I should expect. the cartridges in question would be .357" 148gr in 358 Norma Mag, .424" cast bullets resized from .427" (designed for 44/40) in a 404 Jeffery; and 300 grain bullets in 458 Win Mag. Since the twist rates of all the barrels are designed for much heavier bullets, I am wondering if there are those with experience in such matters could enlighten me as to potential problems and solutions. For example if the bullets are over-stabilized by the twist, would it help to reduce the muzzle velocity by several hundred feet per second.

Divernhunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Life member NRA and NAHC Escalon Sportsmans club, Manteca sportsman club and Coalinga Rifle Club. Member of SCI
Hunted
USA, RSA
Load mild loads and the pistol bullets seem to work ok in many different cartridges. Keep the speed down for best results.

ChrisG

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
Hunted
USA, Canada
I don't think it will have any issues. The only problems you might have is with bullets coming apart at very high twist rates. Overstablization is really only a major issue when shooting long range and the bullet is spinning so fast that it doesn't reorient in the direction it is traveling and stays at the angle of ascent. It is then traveling slightly sideways through the air and slowing down very quickly.

I loaded 230 grain GDHP bullets made for a .45 ACP in a 450 bushmaster and fired them at 2,400 FPS. They shot fine and actually didn't blow to bits on impact. They just slow down very fast.

Pheroze

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Member of
OFAH, DSC
Hunted
South Africa, Canada, USA
Great question. I heard about this for the 400 H&H but wondered where to start with load development

MAdcox

Gold supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC; DSCOK
Hunted
Oklahoma, Colorado, New Mexico, Texas, South Africa (Limpopo, Northern Cape)
My college roommate had a Marlin lever action in 35 Remington. We worked up really good loads with 158 gr Hornady XTP .357 bullets. Can’t remember the load. But we killed several whitetail and coyotes with it. Great 75 to 100 yard brush round.

crs

AH elite
Reaction score
Website
sheltontechnologies.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
CRS, NRA Patron Member, TSRA, DWWC, DRSS
Hunted
RSA
My Winchester 1892 action with .357 Magnum Douglas barrel is most accurate with light, fast pistol bullets such as the 110 and 125 grain Super Vel.
Heavier magnum bullets on up through 180 grain Buffalo Bore are good for hunting big game but do not shoot the small groups that the lighter and faster loads do.
The rifle will fire .38 ammo, but it is so slow that it does not stabilize.

PS The Custom Bishop stocks have since been refinished to make the rifle look better.

Attachments

• 53201_600x400.jpg
    53201_600x400.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 80
Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EvanAbg499

Latest profile posts

pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG
Safari Dave wrote on egrmpty507's profile.
Did you purchase your hunt at a US SCI fundraiser?